rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Out Now

I remember playing it when it first came out a fair few months ago. Really enjoyed it but other than a tutorial, I'm pretty sure its all online multiplayer. I need to have a look at it again as they sent me a Steam key not that long ago.

It appears to include a co-op mode vs bots which will do me for now. Hopefully down the line they might stick in a proper bot mode. A campaign would be nice, but I doubt that's going to happen. I'm going to go for it I think, seems a decent amount of content for the price.

Just played it again. It's changed a lot - seems to be a brand new tutorial. A lot more approachable now and still looks slick as fuck. A game that deserves more attention.

Just played it again. It's changed a lot - seems to be a brand new tutorial. A lot more approachable now and still looks slick as fuck. A game that deserves more attention.

Yeah, what a great game. The Nemesis pack seems good - it's nice to have a choice of ten mechs from the start. Love the mech designs and the movement feels hefty enough to me. I'd read quite a few complaints that it doesn't feel like a mech game, just like any other FPS, but I thoroughly disagree, and of course, it looks the nuts.

Edit - I'm also one of 'those ones' that doesn't get the love for Gone Home.

Gone Home is an interesting attempt, but I felt it failed terribly at what it set out to do. Worth trying when it is on a sale, others really found it very powerful and emotionally engaging in a way that I didn't at all. Don't ever pay anything like full price for it. I would like to seem more games in a similar style, with better writing. I suppose Jazzpunk is sort of similar in design (and is really great).

Lococycle being ported to PC might be the worst thing about the Xbone so far, it has even infested Steam with its awful games. :(

It's powerful for those who were swept away at how "tragic" it was that a closet lesbian had to live that way, and plays on this throughout. I suppose it's geared more towards Conservative America, and so liberal America thought "how powerful to fight against intolerance", whereas if you were brought up in a more progressive environment you would just think it an emo waste of time.

• Downvote 6

Because of course the fact that it is set in a clearly 90s American environment invalidates any potential emotional resonance. For the same reason that Hamlet is some privileged whinger and 12 Years a Slave is just an uppity person of colour.

It's nice to see that the progressive environment in which you claim to have been brought up in can lead you to such an offensive generalisation.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Jesus! Why the hell do people get hung up on the lesbian story in Gone Home? That's not why it's a very good game. Is a good game, for me, because it played on its audience expectations of what to expect in a game. The way it pulls a hum drum story about a dysfunctional family out of the jaws of genre conventions is why I thought it was so good.

• Upvote 6

Because of course the fact that it is set in a clearly 90s American environment invalidates any potential emotional resonance. For the same reason that Hamlet is some privileged whinger and 12 Years a Slave is just an uppity person of colour.

It's nice to see that the progressive environment in which you claim to have been brought up in can lead you to such an offensive generalisation.

Regardless of what you think of Gone Home, you can't seriously be suggesting it is as good as Hamlet. Right?

Yeah you're right. I wasn't captivated by the story and saw it for what it was, therefore I'm offensive and generalising lesbians.

Jesus! Why the hell do people get hung up on the lesbian story in Gone Home? That's not why it's a very good game. Is a good game, for me, because it played on its audience expectations of what to expect in a game. The way it pulls a hum drum story about a dysfunctional family out of the jaws of genre conventions is why I thought it was so good.

I don't think I've seen anyone getting hung up on the lesbian story. It's neither here nor there. I have seen people state that it's a bad game, for them, because of the way it pulls a hum drum story about a dysfunctional family out of the jaws of genre conventions, though. Hum drum. Most games try to avoid being it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Gone Home is a brave idea, but I could only recommend it to those who aren't horrified by the idea of Resident Evil meets Dawson's Creek.

I don't quite get the love to be honest.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I liked it, though I can see why people didn't. If the premise; the narrative; the setting; the atmosphere etc don't strike a chord, it's not as though there is anything else fun to latch on to in the way of mechanics, so it's going to leave some people cold.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is, the game is quite simple. There's not much to it. In games where there are lots of different systems, some people might like the combat; some might like the story; some might like the exploring; some might like different aspects/nuances of those different things. But with Gone Home, there aren't any systems to really play with - so the people that didn't like the story and feel gripped by the journey of exploring the house just aren't going to 'get the love' or see what the fuss was about.

• Upvote 1

I don't think I've seen anyone getting hung up on the lesbian story. It's neither here nor there. I have seen people state that it's a bad game, for them, because of the way it pulls a hum drum story about a dysfunctional family out of the jaws of genre conventions, though. Hum drum. Most games try to avoid being it.

I didn't find the story particularly 'powerful' as such, just interesting. I liked the setting, the atmosphere, exploring the house, uncovering the back story and traits of the characters. I was genuinely gripped the whole time, as I didn't know what to expect or what was around the corner. Though as you say, some people aren't going to have liked how it all panned out.

If Bacon was generalising about anything; it's the comment that anyone brought up in a progressive environment is going to find it an 'emo waste of time'. I disagree with that.

Yeah you're right. I wasn't captivated by the story and saw it for what it was, therefore I'm offensive and generalising lesbians.

Actually, no, the bit where you were offensive and generalising was the bit where you suggested that anyone who enjoyed it was brought up in a non-progressive environment, while anyone who brought up in a progressive environment would naturally consider it an emo waste of time:

I suppose it's geared more towards Conservative America, and so liberal America thought "how powerful to fight against intolerance", whereas if you were brought up in a more progressive environment you would just think it an emo waste of time.

You condescending prat.

Not enjoying it means I will probably value less your general opinions on adventure games (much as I imagine many people ignore my opinions on a variety of genres), but nothing more - I have strong, often odd tastes myself, and I don't mind people not sharing them. It's only those extra comments that actually make me think less of you personally.

(incidentally, though the content of the story did appeal to me, as with davejm for me the real quality of the game comes from its approach to storytelling and adventuring, which for once genuinely wouldn't have worked in any other medium, working as it does by having vast swathes of the story fleshed out by your own personal observations rather than the game spelling things out for you at all times; the fact that the game dared to have a complete goal that really was just "find out what's up!" was nice too)

Oh, and good job on the distinct non-use of spoiler tags. Nice for anyone who has yet to try the game.

• Upvote 8

Regardless of what you think of Gone Home, you can't seriously be suggesting it is as good as Hamlet. Right?

No. Although 'good' is a relative concept and somewhat by the by. I was referring to the suggestion (nailed by Wiper) that only a particular subsection could find Gone Home more than 'emo'. Feeds into an empathy vortex that seems to fly in the face of the very notion of a 'progressive' upbringing.

• Upvote 1

It's only those extra comments that actually make me think less of you personally.

Sorry to hear that.

You condescending prat.

For someone to personally insult another based on their views, then having the audacity to think less of someone? Incredible.

Not enjoying it means I will probably value less your general opinions on adventure games

Also, this is an incredibly stupid thing to say. So because someone doesn't enjoy something, their views on something else are less valuable? Condescending prat indeed.

Richard Leadbetter, who I think you can say knows his shit in this area, gave Steam's game streaming a good workout:-Very promising, enough that I'll be ordering some powerline adapters for when this gets a proper release, and only have to upgrade one graphics card rather than two.

It will depend on your house but in home streaming runs like utter gash through my powerline adapters so your mileage may vary.

For someone to personally insult another based on their views, then having the audacity to think less of someone? Incredible.

Yes, if someone is acting like a condescending prat, I'm quite happy to call them a condescending prat, and think less of them all at the same time. Oh the irony, I know.

Also, this is an incredibly stupid thing to say. So because someone doesn't enjoy something, their views on something else are less valuable? Condescending prat indeed.

Jesus Christ - as in, I'll value your opinion less when trying to work out if I'll like a game in the adventure genre (the genre I find Gone Home to fall into), because it's clear our opinions diverge. So yes, to me your opinion in that area is less valuable, just as the opinions of someone whose favourite FPS is Half-Life, and/or who thinks Deus Ex is a pile of poo, would be less valuable to me if I was trying to find opinions on a new FPS to figure out if I'll like it or not.

Sunday Sim Steam Serials:

Ship Simulator Extremes
Lunar Flight
Dogfight 1942
Airport Simulator 2014
Skyscraper Simulator
Agricultural Simulator: Historical Farming
Woodcutter Simulator 2013 Gold Edition
PM for the code.

Yeah...ok, so Hawken is absolutely brilliant then. I love it.

Yeah...ok, so Hawken is absolutely brilliant then. I love it.

Yeah, I loaded it up today after not playing it since very early beta days and it's fantastic. Love the new game modes and it's a lot more fun than I remember.

Er....I may even have spent some real money on new mechs today as well :facepalm: