rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Coming Soon

How are you finding Dariusburst? Sounds like there's a lot of game there - even for £25 - and I like the sound of using dual-monitors. Some of the reviews look a bit OTT

I'm not the shmup aficionado that can give you the details. All I will say is that I've been in a weird mood for them over the past week and couldn't resist. I was after 90s arcade nostalgia and that's exactly what I got. I don't know if that's where this game is from but it's evocative of that anyway.

There does seem to be a lot there but it is lots of the same stuff as far as I can tell. Without being massively into the genre, I feel fine about paying what I did for it though. Has the feel of something you'll go back to for years.

• Upvote 1

After his FIFA player and Steam-buying databases, SSBJ's next project is a database quantifying each forum-users' value as a person.

Don't worry Timmo, I'll make sure you are my number 1, I'll rig the data.

P.S. my Fifa one has live prices in for the top about 200 players now.

Oniken is really, really good and it's only 59p:

Doesn't work right out of the box with a controller in some cases, you need to do this:

On your computer, click Start, and then enter joy.cpl in the Search field.

Run it.
Go to advanced and choose your preferred controller.
Change up your input using the game launcher.

Invisible Inc is a bit good isn't it? I lost five hours to it yesterday :unsure: The mixing and interplay of hacking and real world elements is exactly what the Shadowrun games should have been - and all the permutations you get through your AI Programs, character Perks and gear and enemy Daemon programs is excellent.

• Upvote 2

I'm not the shmup aficionado that can give you the details. All I will say is that I've been in a weird mood for them over the past week and couldn't resist. I was after 90s arcade nostalgia and that's exactly what I got. I don't know if that's where this game is from but it's evocative of that anyway.

There does seem to be a lot there but it is lots of the same stuff as far as I can tell. Without being massively into the genre, I feel fine about paying what I did for it though. Has the feel of something you'll go back to for years.

I get lost with shooters when there's too much going at once. A quick blast of Gradius is cool, but I can't get on with something busy and complicated like Ikaruga. Would you say it's like either of those?

I picked up Verdun in the sale this morning. I've been at it for a couple of hours now and if you like "realistic" historical shooters like Red Orchestra it'll be right up your street. Not bad at all for a tenner.

Downwell was completely new to me before I made that list.

It's like a sped-up arcadey mini-Spelunky with Game Boy graphics. It's very good.

Works better on PC than on phone as the reaction speeds needed to play it well are too fast for a touchscreen I would think.

Edit: hey it has 97% positive rating on the Steam page so Steam users have good taste after all, just metacritic users who are twats, clearly.

• Upvote 1

I get lost with shooters when there's too much going at once. A quick blast of Gradius is cool, but I can't get on with something busy and complicated like Ikaruga. Would you say it's like either of those?

No, not at all overly complicated as far as I can tell. I'm the same, I prefer simple mechanics with hidden depth and that's what this has. You have a shot and a 'burst' (a big shot thing). You can detach your big burst a bit like in R-Type and you can place it and move it to use a bit like a shield. That's where the potential depth comes from, in tactically placing it at angles to shield you. Basically though, it's a two button game most of the time; shot and burst. The only others are a button to turn you around and the detach button. It's nicely simple but potentially complex.

I should add, the front end looks confusing as fuck and there's a lot to choose from with various modes and ships etc, but the actual game is as described.

The super widescreen isn't too annoying for me and if you're going dual monitor it'll probably be great. The main thing is the sound though. It has that physical blast hard surface thing that old arcade games had. It's you've got a semi-decent sound set-up you'll be half way to loving it already.

• Upvote 2

Got King's Quest Chapter 1 for €1.

Not sure about the rest of the coming chapters as #2 already seems to be criticized for being worse but figured a good 6 hours of adventuring for euro 1,- why not?

I had a slight problem with the iOS steam app earlier. It had logged me out and it was my authenticator so until I logged back in I couldn't login to the website to buy stuff.

So I try and it asks for my authenticator code (That I need to be logged in to provide). Luckily I was able to remove the authenticator in the end but that's not a nice bug.

It did that to me. But of a faff resetting everything.

Taken from Hot Uk Deals.

Tomb Raider Collection £8.99

TR1-6 & Legend - 74p each Anniversary & Underworld - £1.04 each

Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light - £1.99

Tomb Raider (2013) - £2.24 (bloody gutted about that one, paid about a tenner a couple of weeks ago!).

I lol'ed my wife bought me £150 worth of Steam wallet vouchers !!! That will buy me about thousand games in the sale.*

* to add to the other thousand games I have not played yet

• Upvote 1

I lol'ed my wife bought me £150 worth of Steam wallet vouchers !!! That will buy me about thousand games in the sale.*

* to add to the other thousand games I have not played yet

Nice, does she realise how much that could buy? That is the equivalent of those competitions they did a while back to win your wishlist.

I mentioned £50 would do me sometime back but she probably looked at the price of an average AAA console game in GAME and thought that £50 would only get me one game lol

Thinking about it I may buy a Steam link.

Picked up quite a few games, including Dying Light which I'd missed out on earlier in the year. Is the multiplayer just that spotty or does no one really play anymore? I keep getting these popups saying there are people nearby to join, but the server/game browser always appears empty. Shame as it seems most of the fun is playing it in a group.

I also have a 50% off voucher for The Talos Principle, which stacks with the Steam discount, but I'll need to add you on Steam to send it.

How much would this make Talos? £3.75?