rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Coming Soon

Grab Clickteam Fusion 2.5 while you can, guys - an incredible program.

Oh wow, Clickteam, of The Games Factory/Klick and Play/Click and Create fame - haven't heard of them in years! Had no idea they were still making game-making software.

Max Payne 3 is a great buy at that price, excellent shooting. Took me a while to get into it but once it clicked, it really clicked.

All the dlc is for the multiplayer so can skip it, but the multiplayer is worth giving a try.

Apparently the Rockstar Social Account linking, required to play the game's multiplayer, can be a bit awkward to get working these days:

http://kotaku.com/too-many-pc-games-are-a-pain-to-get-running-1594930432

JPR, I noticed you've played a few hours of Betrayer - any good?

I'm enjoying it, love the style and setting of it, you can have it in colour but I think it losses something then. Atmosphere and sound are really well done, ambient sounds when wondering in the woods are great and there's a real feel that things aren't quote right. Well worth turning it up and not having any other noisy distractions. With the wind rustling the trees.

The actual game part maybe isn't quite as well done. The navigation bit is interesting, you have to press X to listen which will play some creepy sound and you have to balance it between the speakers to find the direction, then it gets louder as you get closer. The actual investigations end up being speak to an NPC, use listen to get to another point, maybe pick up an item/speak to another npc and use listen to get to the next point.

It's a shame the investigations aren't much more than going a to b, but the game isn't overly long so they it's not like the mechanics start to feel like a chore.

It's not very forthcoming with the story, basically puts you in the area and that's it, you have to pick up bits from your investigations. I'm enjoying the scraps it gives you and piecing together the life of these colonies. Still no clue on the bigger story, what all this weird stuff is really about, but near the end now so hopefully it will become clearer.

Overall I'm glad I got it, it's a really well created place, it could have just done with a maybe a bit more time on the mechanics and storytelling.

I wish there where more games set in this time and place, always had a bit of an interest in it. With things like lost colonies, alien civilizations and places, it lends itself to games that are creepy and weird, that sense of something out there. After some of those we can move to Lovecraft's New England.

• Upvote 2

Since I doubt they'll be anything new now, here's the damage

Anno DLC - £3
Van Helsing 2 - £8
Super MEat Boy - £2.52
Red Alert 2 - £2.49
Dungeon Defenders DLC - £8.20
Forced £2.75
Chip - £1.99
Halo - Sparten Assault - £1.99
Terria - £1.89
Dynasty Warriors- £19.99
Banished - £7.50
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 5: Son of Crawmerax - £0.65
Borderlands 2: Headhunter 4: Wedding Day Massacre - £0.65
BattleBlock Theater - 2.74
Marlow Briggs - £0.79
Deus Ex: The Fall - £1.99
Castle Crashers - £0.99
Castle Crashers Pink Knight - £0.22
Castle Crashers Blacksmith - £0.22
Magicka DLC Bundle - £5.74
Kingdom Rush - £1.74
Noir Syndrome - £1.69
Brofore - £6.02
Balder's Gate 2 - £4.74
Cloudbuilt - £2.24
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West £3.74
PAC-MAN Championship Edition DX+ All you can Eat £2.99
One Finger Death Punch £1.99
Hexcells Bundle £1.74

Knock of £23 due to cards and deals on Steam Wallet codes, and that's not a bad haul for £78

Only things I sort of regret is DW (although I think it'll be my next big game to play once DS run done) and Banished (which I can't see myself playing too soon)

Still got a Broforce for £6 if someone wants

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the impressions - sounds interesting. The setting was the thing that caught my attention.

I missed it when it was 80% off, hopefully it'll get another flash sale. Not sure when I'll actually play it though - I think Divinity OS will be taking up my gaming time for a good while.

Has anyone tried Expeditions: Conquistador?

It looks nice enough and I do like an SRPG but steam sales mean that even at £6 it's not an impulse purchase.

Did anyone else grab this? Mine has been stuck on processing since yesterday... :(

I bought it last night and the key arrived instantly, so there does seem to be a problem with your order. I paid via card if that makes a difference.

I sort of forgot Divinity was out tomorrow. I now have Might and Magic X and BG2:EE with Divinity coming tomorrow. Oh well.

Oh wow, Clickteam, of The Games Factory/Klick and Play/Click and Create fame - haven't heard of them in years! Had no idea they were still making game-making software.

And AMOS/STOS! (well kinda).

It's nice software, you can get IOS/Android exporters etc (ive released a couple games on the appstore). I just kinda wish they sped the process up on some of their extensions.

Did anyone else grab this? Mine has been stuck on processing since yesterday... :(

Yep, I got it for the princely sum of £5.45. The first time I tried to buy it the Paypal page errored so I had to start again. Have you gone through the payment bit then?

Anyone thinking Jeff Gerstmann is a cynical, jaded bastard should watch the latest Unprofessional Fridays (6/27/14) from about 1:30 onwards when he starts playing Next Car Game... nothing but sounds of sheer joy and fun and delight.

That bit also convinced me to put Next Car Game on my wishlist even though I don't even like racing games. But usually they're not fun. And Next Car Game looks fun!

Used the streaming option on steam to play goat simulator on my laptop for the first time yesterday, it works pretty well over wifi, quite impressed :)

Fixed the issue with my pc crashing out every few minutes when playing games on steam by using the latest beta graphic card drivers, played sleeping dogs for about an hour with no issues :)

Found out I bought the wrong Max Payne compilation so bought the correct one and asked for a refund, hope steam honour it.

Betrayer stuff

That's good to hear, I picked it up purely because it was cheap and it looked nice enough. Isn't there some rudimentary combat in it? It was the only aspect that was slightly putting me off.

Isn't there some rudimentary combat in it? It was the only aspect that was slightly putting me off.

There's some combat but it's fairly simple, the bow is good for picking enemies off at distance. Usually enemies are in small numbers and easy to deal with. There are a few points where combat can be a little tricky, clearing out a post before you can use it. You can set it so you keep your items on death and the tricky parts are a small part of the game.

So this Clickteam game creator, is it designed for a complete novice to be able to get into? I was wondering how intuitive it was for a newbie as it states in the blurb you don't need to know how to program and you can make your first basic game in an hour?

I may take a punt if it drops to £15 again.

Going through my games list, a lot of them don't work or have weird resolution bugs/mouse pointer not matching (reverts to desktop pointer). Some games I'll just add to my (never play again) list, but others - Earth 2150, Blackwell Legacy, Deus Ex - I really want to play. Either its my computer (Macbook Pro) or some other gubbins, its proof that PC gaming is not quite there yet

So (and sorry if it's already been said) does anyone know when the sale ends properly? Is it at 6 today, or will the deals still be on till tomorrow?

EDIT: never mind, I'm a dumbass, realised the end date displayed is tomorrow.

Going through my games list, a lot of them don't work or have weird resolution bugs/mouse pointer not matching (reverts to desktop pointer). Some games I'll just add to my (never play again) list, but others - Earth 2150, Blackwell Legacy, Deus Ex - I really want to play. Either its my computer (Macbook Pro) or some other gubbins, its proof that PC gaming is not quite there yet

That's true, consoles are far better at playing games from three hardware generations ago ;)

I'm going to blame your Mac for at least one of those - the Blackwell games are just generic Adventure Game Studio games, which is about as stable and cross-generation an engine as I can think of. Meanwhile, as a general rule any pre-Windows Vista games you should probably be buying from GOG.com rather than Steam, as they provide versions that are patched up to run on modern systems, while Steam makes no such guarantees. Though the bit where you're running PC games on a Mac could well be introducing more issues if you're running them in Wine or some other simulated environment which even a GOG patched game might not support fully.

That's true, consoles are far better at playing games from three hardware generations ago ;)

Playing XCOM on the PS3 right now, other than the disc noise it runs brilliantly.

It's the inconsistency that makes it jarring - most games are great, they work as advertised - double click and its running. PC gaming is the best platform when its like that. But unlike with consoles, each game is not guaranteed to run on your system, so especially with these bundled games from obscure German developers, it frequently screws up my desktop resolution and windows when I quit.

If anything, its' Windows more than PC Gaming that is at fault; I've never had graphics problems switching between OS and game on MacOS, bit of screen tearing on Civ 4 but that's it. If only more games were supported on that

PC gaming on a PC might be better.

• Upvote 7

Nidhogg is probably going to be poised to be my favourite game ever.

I had a long, long match against radlord which lasted almost 20 minutes in the early hours of the morning when we were both utterly exhausted. The whole thing was so incredibly intense that it felt like a fevered nightmare. It was the best thing ever. So many back-and-forths.

Yep, I got it for the princely sum of £5.45. The first time I tried to buy it the Paypal page errored so I had to start again. Have you gone through the payment bit then?

Yeah, I paid through paypal too and it all went through fine (have all the receipt emails etc) but yet it is still stuck on pending. Don't even want the stupid game anymore now I know it's full of fuckUplay.

Playing XCOM on the PS3 right now, other than the disc noise it runs brilliantly.

And how much luck do you have running a PS2 game on it? How about Xbox games on the 360 - do they work uniformly? How about working at all on the Bone? PS2 or PS3 on PS4?

And again, you're running Windows games on a Mac, which adds in its own complications in the first place. Whether you're using Wine, or have dual booted, you're very much not running the system the way it was intended - as you yourself say, running Mac OS games is a lot less problematic. So when things don't work properly for a Windows game and you using that as proof that "PC gaming is not quite there yet", it's rather like getting a PSP, modding it with custom firmware so you can install what you want on it, then complaining that "console gaming is not quite there yet" because the N64 emulation doesn't work for every game.

• Upvote 5

Just been playing The Stanley Parable for about 30 mins. I had to stop as I was feeling physically sick.

I normally steer clear of 1st person games although they've never made me feel ill before.

Guess I'll stick to the other 250 games in my library.

as you yourself say, running Mac OS games is a lot less problematic. So when things don't work properly for a Windows game and you using that as proof that "PC gaming is not quite there yet", it's rather like getting a PSP, modding it with custom firmware so you can install what you want on it, then complaining that "console gaming is not quite there yet" because the N64 emulation doesn't work for every game.

that's more to do with MacOS having a more robust window system though rather than it being a Mac computer. There's no resolution "bleeding" (where a full app/game affects the desktop) like Windows does.

Fundamentally, it's a PC - intel CPU, RAM, intel graphics - all the drivers are standard and work.

Others on the Steam forums for the affected games have displayed the same issues, and they have "proper" PCs