rllmuk
choddo

Steam - UI Overhaul Coming Soon

Anyone on here use the Steam name 'Ninja Dunk'? I got a friend request from that name, no idea who it is though from looking at the profile.

Hey Steam bros, I'm looking to sub a mate a copy of Dark Souls 2 PC, where's the cheapest at the mo? I'm tryin my usual places (g2play, gamekeysnow and cjs-cdkeys) and they're all higher than I expected! Any other bargain instakeys sites people would recommend?

I bought Dark Souls 2 from G2Play for £15, but it was the RU version and had to be activated through a VPN. Had it about a week now and played it a few times and it hasn't disappeared yet. :lol:

I think you just search for it in the groups bit and click the join button on the page? Can't remember exactly, haven't joined a group on Steam in ages.

Earth: Year 2066 finally removed from Steam and refunds available due to dishonest marketing. It was little more than a few hours spent messing around with Unity and sold for £14.99, by a developer who continued to take the piss and delete/ban people from the Steam forum. A Jim Sterling video on the game and developer a few weeks a go, probably one of the key reasons it was removed.

Towns has been abandoned, so will never be finished but don't worry, they might make a Towns 2, sure it will work this time. A year a go it was a huge success, 200,000 copies sold and more than $2m revenue.

Publishers being able to dump all their back catalogue on Steam has also been causing issues recently. Seems to be no requirement to make sure they actually work, you might still be asked to enter the CD. Stark contrast to GOG who actually care about their customers and whose ratio of employees to catalogue size isn't vastly different to Steam.

The criticism of Steam has been slowly growing recently over their lack of quality control, hopefully they'll address it. Was never a fan of Valves move to be more hands off and this isn't doing anything to change that. I still go back to the view of employing more people to actually do a job.

• Upvote 4

Earth: Year 2066 finally removed from Steam and refunds available due to dishonest marketing. It was little more than a few hours spent messing around with Unity and sold for £14.99, by a developer who continued to take the piss and delete/ban people from the Steam forum. A Jim Sterling video on the game and developer a few weeks a go, probably one of the key reasons it was removed.

Towns has been abandoned, so will never be finished but don't worry, they might make a Towns 2, sure it will work this time. A year a go it was a huge success, 200,000 copies sold and more than $2m revenue.

Publishers being able to dump all their back catalogue on Steam has also been causing issues recently. Seems to be no requirement to make sure they actually work, you might still be asked to enter the CD. Stark contrast to GOG who actually care about their customers and whose ratio of employees to catalogue size isn't vastly different to Steam.

The criticism of Steam has been slowly growing recently over their lack of quality control, hopefully they'll address it. Was never a fan of Valves move to be more hands off and this isn't doing anything to change that. I still go back to the view of employing more people to actually do a job.

You've got to feel sorry for the guy with Towns. 15% of income from a game that "came out" a year ago really has to be quite tiny.

No one bought Earth 2066, at its peak it had 3 simultaneous players out of an audience of 50 million. Holding it up as a big thing that's hoodwinking everyone and is going to lead to the downfall of Steam, etc is ridiculous.

I'm not really a fan of having a gated community. There will be people who take the piss, but on the other side you're opening it up to innovation and the next big hit.

Yes, I think the current developer isn't in a great situation and he'll be copping lots of the flak that should probably go to the original developers, who had already abandoned it.

Whose holding it up as the downfall of Steam? A scam is a scam and if you open your store up to allow it then you deserve the criticism that comes from it. Would it have taken more than 10min to look at Earth 2066 and think this probably isn't what you want to be selling to your customers?

For me the bigger issue is from a customer service point of view Steam is becoming a poorer place, whilst it's competitors get better.

It was one of their Amnesia Fortnight games. I love the idea of it, but I'm not totally sure it worked. The full thing might be better.

Has anyone played enough of both 13 and 14 to know if it justifies a purchase for someone who really enjoyed the career mode of 13...But was shit at it?

Decided I really need to save for a new PC. Have so many games on mine that won't run because it is shite.

How much would I be looking at spending that would give me close to PS4 level of visuals and wouldn't need a complete overhaul within a few months? Something I could upgrade by one or two component a year to keep up to date.

I bought Flatout: UC and it chugged along, even on low settings :(

Freespace appears to have been released on Steam today. Possibly the finest space shooter ever, maybe eclipsed only by its sequel. Only £2.39! I'm a huge fan. It's been on GoG for a while, but maybe this'll bring it to a new audience.

• Upvote 1

@bradigor:

Depends what you go for and if you already have decent hard drives / power supply / case. I recently did a build of a new motherboard, i5 4750k, 8gm ddr3 and a geforce 750Ti for about £450. Might sound like a lot compared to a console but then I needed to upgrade for doing 3d work anyway. Haven't found a game yet that taxes it. Games like Thief maxed out look incredible.

Has anyone played enough of both 13 and 14 to know if it justifies a purchase for someone who really enjoyed the career mode of 13...But was shit at it?

I wouldn't recommend getting NBA2k14 on PC as it's essentially a roster update. All the innovations and graphical improvements were made to the PS4/XBone versions.

@bradigor:

Depends what you go for and if you already have decent hard drives / power supply / case. I recently did a build of a new motherboard, i5 4750k, 8gm ddr3 and a geforce 750Ti for about £450. Might sound like a lot compared to a console but then I needed to upgrade for doing 3d work anyway. Haven't found a game yet that taxes it. Games like Thief maxed out look incredible.

I'd probably need the lot. Don't fancy building myself, so want a something pre-built.

£400-£600 would likely be my budget.

Worst case scenario you could buy the components, assemble the easy bits yourself and then pay some local computing place to finish the build. I'm sure that would still be cheaper than a prebuilt.

I'd probably need the lot. Don't fancy building myself, so want a something pre-built.

£400-£600 would likely be my budget.

£600 on parts will get you my setup plus a power supply, hard drive and case (as long as you don't want to go too fancy) but you'd have to self build (or ask a friend). Seriously, it's so simple to build a PC, plus you'll know what to do when it comes to upgrading parts.