Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Oh yeah, that's another I downloaded last night. Is the combat difficult? I suck and don't have the desire to spend ages learning a game (I like to play a story and move on) so I've had to skip so many ARPGs that I would otherwise have liked to experience over the last few years.

In a word, yes. Put it on Easy and give yourself some breathing room. I did for bigger fights with no sense of shame :)

Played 3 more demos - now bare in mind that I literally load it up, see how the controls feel and run around for between 3-10 minutes before deciding if I will follow it (and then buy at some point in a sale) or discard, so my views are hardly likely to be helpful. Well, other than for me. But here goes:

- Superfuse annoyed me immediately by trying to open the Epic launcher (it seems to be the main comment in the Discussion forum for it). Then, by being keyboard only (in the demo, at least - hopefully controllers will be supported at release). Finally, once I got in-game, the performance was awful - constant stuttering and borderline unplayable. Not a great impression at all. I have followed it though on Steam and see what happens on release. From the <2 minutes I played, it seemed about par for the genre.

Scars Above seemed okay, the main character looks a bit stiff and lacking animation, but it looked nice enough and I have followed it. Opening crates though adds completely pointless extra buttons - the first one you encounter is 3 button presses I think before you can pick up an item. That will get old real fast and it adds nothing to the experience at all.

- XGamer AI Revolution is dreadful. Lasted about 2 minutes on this, it opens with some scantily-clad anime girl of dubious age and I almost instantly turned it off, but figured I'd at least have a look. The camera and movement are some of the worst I've ever encountered, really slippy and loose character movement and a camera that is ridiculously sensitive. The aiming was affected by the atrocious camera, the controls felt rough and it wouldn't even quit out - I had to alt-tab it. Also, it does that stupid, rubbish Destiny thing of having the right stick on the controller act like a mouse for menus, rather than, you know, just using the D-pad or triggers. This is properly trash, notable for the fact that even though the game isn't even in early access or anything, there is DLC for sale (which is one of only 2 comments in the discussion for it.) Avoid.

I might re-download Earth From Another Sun and just put in my junk email, because the trailer for it does show an impressive scale (even though it looks a bit janky.)

My running total currently has Asterigos down as 'will buy' at some point; Undecember, Superfuse and Scars Above to be watched and decide when they are out, and XGamer and Dungeons of the Amber Griffin as no-nos. That's not bad, I suppose.

I have a silly amount downloaded to try over the next few days (I managed about 150 over a weekend a couple of years back for a feature!) Steam seems to roll over and die if you have more than 50 things queued up 😜 Asterigos and Scars Above are real highlights for me (I liked the extra button presses on that first chest and it didn't seem to be repeated). Will copy in my impressions as I go along. Amazing how many new demos look interesting each time this comes around. 

OH BOY MORE DEMOS:

Superfuse: the premise is great (comic book diablo - I still miss you, Marvel Heroes), but the performance is lacking even with low settings. A lot of stutter, and no controller support. One to keep an eye on, but I'll be waiting for reviews. And there's some indications that it's going to be on EGS first, so fuck it, I can wait if that's the case.

Cesspool: Didn't work on Deck. Shame. Next!

Slay The Princess: For someone not into horror (and to be honest, I wasn't keen on the visual style), this is quite enjoyable. It's essentially The Stanley Parable if you structured it as a visual novel, and it certainly goes places. I'm sold after a couple of endings - wishlisted!

Vita Fighters: I.. really enjoy this, and I don't know why. The visual style is enjoyable if a little basic, as is the fighting mechanics, but it was pretty fun. I played a JoJo ripoff (Millions) and went through the arcade mode, and didn't get bored. I'd definitely consider picking it up if it's cheap.

Well because I now I'm on a roll, I've struck another couple off the potentials list.

First up is an ARPG of sorts? Arran - The Book of Heroes didn't grab me. I didn't like the controls or movement and that was pretty much it. The other was 1428: Shadows Over Silesia, another ARPG. This is a truly, truly awful way to present a demo, in that it seems to be the start of the game rather than a vertical slice, so you are introduced to this world by moving very, very slowly along a very, very long line of people doing nothing, until you reach a cutscene trigger - then do the same thing again twice more. By default, this was the most time I'd spent on any of these demos, just waiting for something to happen! When it did, it wasn't good. Controls were the same as for Arran, in that your character's facing was controlled by the mouse, but up/down/left/right moved you in that direction regardless. The actual swinging of weapons in that was sluggish and my perception was a lack of responsiveness - very unsatisfying.

Both gone and, having had a look some more at the stuff on there, that's probably about my lot. <no more of these posts, yay!>

@Siri In the discussion for Superfuse the dev said they haven't got any plans to go exclusive...yet. So who knows. Somebody mentioned that using the Epic backend lets you get free multiplayer support or something, which is one reason why it might have been trying to launch it (and the fact you can continue with the demo by cancelling it suggests that may have some merit.)

10 hours ago, Siri said:

...Next up, Season!

It's very pretty, but very ropey on Deck, due to being a vertical slice and as a result there's no graphics options.

Gameplay is pretty neat - basically picture/sound collection like Toem, but in a picturesque 3D environment. The part at the end where you start to travel with the bike and seeing the expanse before you is very BotW in sheer wonder.

I think it'll be great when the game is done in 2023. Just needs some tweaks to get it running at a decent clip, but a heck of a lot of promise so far.

I hope they add some gameplay!

I get what they were aiming for but it came across as a bit pretentious to me.

• 3 weeks later...

"Steam Scream Fest" runs from the 25th to the 1st. Demos, discounts, events.

Join us as we don our costumes and celebrate things that go bump in the night during Steam Scream Fest! Featuring discounts and demos on current and upcoming games, as well as special Halloween-themed gameplay, this Fest is for games and in-game events focused on the spirit of Halloween.

Steam Scream Fest runs October 25 at 10:00 AM PDT (UTC-7) to November 1 at 10:00 AM PDT (UTC-7

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamworks/announcements/detail/3404177923749444204

On 06/10/2022 at 10:57, Mallet said:

I think the answer to this is yes but I thought I would confirm it before spending money. 

If I buy either a PS5 or Switch pro controller will steam input allow me to use the gyro assisted aiming in any game? 

Dunno about the switch controller, but the PS5 Dual Sense, lets you use the Gyro, and touchpad as a mouse.

I made my son wait for this sale before buying his friends L4D2 and HL2, expecting discounts. Valve raised the prices today, coinciding with the start of the sale. I feel like I’ve been kicked in the face, this is what I get for trying to teach him to be patient - thanks Valve!

I'm guessing it's because they've updated regional prices a day or so ago - the recommended price for a $59.99 game is now £49.99.

Not that it matters, as I buy 90% of my games via humble bundles and key shops, now rising to 99% :coffee:

13 hours ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Got some suitably spooky spare codes from bundles for anyone who would like them:

Dark Pictures - Little Hope: 

Maid of Sker: 

Hellbound: 

Hello Neighbour: 

Song of Horror Complete: 

The Beast Inside: 

PM for codes, priority given to active posters etc.

35 minutes ago, Hawklord said:

I claimed the Dark Pictures key from Steve but (like many others) I thought when you paused the Humble Bundle it would stay paused. It doesn't as I discovered this morning, so that key is still available :facepalm:

Oooo if that's the case could I get the dark pictures key if it's still available? I would really appreciate it :)

1 hour ago, Siri said:

FYI, Voidu are doing a 30% off code alongside their current sale - BUY30.

As a result, there's a lot of Historical lows, including Nioh 2 for £21.

image.png.650b1cb3348db72c54ea9acaa9e9baf5.png

(And in case you're wondering, Voidu is legitimate with their keys)

Ooh. Nioh 2 is in this month's PS+ offerings, otherwise I'd be all over that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a sale on; the Autumn sale is live until the 29th.

Persona 5 Royal is down to £35: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1687950/Persona_5_Royal/

Persona 4 Golden is down to £10.39: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1113000/Persona_4_Golden/

Hades is down to £11.69: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145360/Hades/

I don't know where else is best to ask this but:

I see both the PC ports of the Sony Spiderman games are currently on sale on CD Keys. I'm tempted, but I only really want to get one, so should I go for Spiderman Remastered or Miles Morales?

1 minute ago, Benny said:

I don't know where else is best to ask this but:

I see both the PC ports of the Sony Spiderman games are currently on sale on CD Keys. I'm tempted, but I only really want to get one, so should I go for Spiderman Remastered or Miles Morales?

I've not played either, but I noticed this in my RPS feed today:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/if-you-get-one-spider-man-game-on-pc-get-marvels-spider-man-miles-morales