Steam - There's a sale on

Because I have a large backlog of stuff to get through I only will look to buy stuff I want when it's at least 66% off - and even though I have 159 games on my wishlist, there are only 11 that meet that requirement - and they are all ones I'm not even sure I want (I will wishlist stuff to keep it in mind). If this follows the recent pattern of effectively being what we'll see in the Xmas sale then, well, I guess I won't be treating myself to much this year.

15 hours ago, Gabe said:

Because I have a large backlog of stuff to get through I only will look to buy stuff I want when it's at least 66% off - and even though I have 159 games on my wishlist, there are only 11 that meet that requirement - and they are all ones I'm not even sure I want (I will wishlist stuff to keep it in mind). If this follows the recent pattern of effectively being what we'll see in the Xmas sale then, well, I guess I won't be treating myself to much this year.

Am I the only person who keeps stuff on their Steam wishlist purely for nostalgia? Like I have some games that have been there for years and even though my tastes have changed I somehow can't find it in me to remove them because they've been there that long. 

@VimsterI've got some old stuff on there (though the oldest is 2017) but in my head I do think I might buy them somebody. Perhaps.

I tend to dump a lot of stuff on there during the year and then, as we approach the Christmas sale, I will go through and cull stuff that I no longer fancy/has got lots of bad reviews (yes, I do read a selection of Steam reviews and find them helpful), and so the cycle continues.

My wishlist is relatively contained at 157 atm. Similarly to @GabeI dump stuff on there if it takes my eye, whether from the storefront, mentions online or the 'activities' tab where somebody else has listed it. I find it the best way of keeping a track of Early Access games that I might check out when they're done, VR stuff that isn't worth the full whack, and loads of indie stuff that gets recommended but I can't possibly keep track of. Sometimes I'm more likely to remember a game from the wishlist than from my actual library :) Usually do a prune every so often; will probably do another soon before Steam Secret Santa which I'm hoping takes place (as I actually have 'some' money to take part this year).

Yeah, part of my pruning is to do with the Steam Secret Santa (which is a wonderful event) so it strips it down to things I know I will actually play, rather than all the '"Might take a punt if it's a few quid" stuff (of which my wishlist has a lot!) I like to think others do the same for when I'm buying - I like the idea people will enjoy the stuff I gift :) 

My list is usually quite slim, but in all honesty it's more of a personal reminder for the things I haven't had time to pick up due to other games keeping me busy. :P 

I'll definitely try to go over it in time for the Secret Santa (if it's happening again this year.)

I'm definitely tempted - though, even as someone who loves AC I'm a little shocked by just how shamelessly that's riffing on it, aping everything down to menus and voiceovers religiously - I'm curious to know if they've hired cast from previous AC games, as it sounds eerily familiar.

Works with VR, works with HOTAS, looks pretty - I'm gonna get it at some point for sure, I know it. Not straight away as I have Too Many Games on already and I really want to get through some that I know I'll abandon if I take a 'temporary' break now.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why a wired in Steam Link would suddenly throw up connection problems? I've reset the router, Pc, Steam Link and homeplugs. Only thing I've not done is change the cables and change the cable from being in the lan switcher to the router itself, but that's a bit of a faff so I thought I'd just throw it in here to see if anyone goes "Oh aye, you need to <insert solution here>"

I'm going to buy ZeroRanger and nothing else this sale. There are several other games on my wishlist I do actually want (and a ton I'm really not bothered about) but I know I'm not going to get around to actually playing them. So one game this year and I'm going to actually play it :o

1 hour ago, Sane said:

I'm going to buy ZeroRanger and nothing else this sale. There are several other games on my wishlist I do actually want (and a ton I'm really not bothered about) but I know I'm not going to get around to actually playing them. So one game this year and I'm going to actually play it :o

It's great :)

2 hours ago, Sane said:

For this reason I have a general policy of not buying anything until it is at least 66% off, because too many times I've paid for stuff that I've not touched until it is much cheaper. It's worked for me for a few years now and is easy to stick to.

• milko changed the title to Steam - There's a sale on