Steam - There's a sale on

See, I bought the first game a week or so ago for about 50p in a bundle, as I had really been keen on it ever since seeing early access trailers - but was sorely disappointed in it. With no skill tree or special moves or, well, any variety, combat got dull very, very quickly. The maps weren't great (the library is terrible) and the only thing to keep playing for I guess is the loot table which I read isn't very good and requires an awful lot of grinding to get anywhere with.

The introduction of talent trees and deeds might spruce things up a little, but for me the core game first time around wasn't good enough to put up with the repetition.

Considering how harsh their loot model is, his comment does sound a little cheeky. The first Vermintide has the drop rate of a loot box focused f2p game without actually having the chests. They have said they'll address this to some extent in the sequel so hopefully that will see massive improvement. 

I did really like it but I didn't stick with it, purely because of the loot system. It just felt too punishing to get nothing when you die in a level, even when you're at the finale. The people I play with and I always liked to push the hardest difficulties in L4D but in Vermintide it felt like those were balanced around having better loot (or were incredibly tough) and to frequently get nothing from half an hour or more of playtime was incredibly frustrating.

I kept meaning to return once they added in the contract system etc but just never got round to it. I also never really clicked with any of the classes and hoped they'd release additional ones as DLC - in fact, I expected them to, so I planned to return when they released those. Every patch for the first game felt like they were just bolting on clunky overly complex systems to try and fix what imo was a pretty broken game (with really strong core gameplay), so I'm excited for them to have a chance to start from scratch and hopefully get it right from the start.

I'm pretty excited for Vermintide 2 but I am a little worried about the careers as I get the feeling they're just going to pigeon-hole you into a very specific playstyle. The first wizard career seems to just have fire aoe abilities, and I seem to remember her having a lot of different options in the first game with beam staffs etc so I hope they haven't just split her original character into three different careers. 

On 19/10/2017 at 20:00, U2031 said:

I'm not expecting one to actually turn up but I've ordered one. I've been thinking about it for a while, and £7 is well worth a punt!

Thanks, I ordered one too. It's still up for that price btw. 

Also, the game looks interesting. I may actually play it. 

Speaking to three developer sources today, Kotaku UK has learned the dates and times of the next three Steam Sales. According to images provided by these developers, the next three sale dates are as follows.

Steam Halloween Sale: October 26th 2017 - November 1st 2017

Steam Autumn Sale (over Black Friday): November 22nd 2017 - November 28th 2017

Steam Winter Sale: December 21st 2017 - January 4th 2018

Source: Kotaku UK

On 20/10/2017 at 23:23, Sane said:

Thanks, I ordered one too. It's still up for that price btw. 

Also, the game looks interesting. I may actually play it. 

It looks like they will ship my steam link (bought with icey) shortly. Have been considering getting one for a while but at that price it's hard to say no. Will play it wired though as I heard that's generally better.

Yeah I got an e-mail saying it's about to ship too. I'm actually about to move house and I might try having this in the living room instead of my huge desktop. I don't think it will be good enough, but who knows.

Even if the sale was the best one ever, I've built up such a backlog of games that it's just not worth spending the money any more. That and Mario Odyssey is out alongside Wolfenstein 2, and I fancy giving AC: Origins a go too.