Steam - There's a sale on

On 2/27/2017 at 20:53, VN1X said:

Through which I discovered this cool looking game, published by your good friends from Devolver Digital.

header.jpg?t=1488211219

On the wishlist it goes!

So I've finally gotten around to starting this and it's incredible. Everyone should go and buy it right now.

If you don't want to part with money go and grab the demo at least.

Yup, coop and single player (with or without AI team mates).

Plays very well, shooting is accurate and basically a mix of Alien Breed and Helldivers (if you haven't played the original)- but now comes along with a large helping of unlockables.

Only put a couple of hours in but Ill be trying it out as a lunchtime game next week, free too! 

*Edit

Oh and play it on a harder difficulty than the default setting- you will get your ass kicked from time to time but its worth it and can be quite tense... some of the mechanics are cool such as welding doors shut to cover your back.

On 20/04/2017 at 21:34, Blu3Flame said:

So I've finally gotten around to starting this and it's incredible. Everyone should go and buy it right now.

If you don't want to part with money go and grab the demo at least.

Wow proper goosebumps - instant purchase. 

2 hours ago, Mortis said:

Wow proper goosebumps - instant purchase. 

Completed it this evening.. definitely worth the pitiful asking price.

Loving this style of bite sized gaming, just did an episode each night and found it to be perfectly paced. Got stuck on a couple of bits but most of the puzzles are logical. However some knowledge of old text adventure commands is definitely beneficial.  

Well I just sat and blitzed the whole thing in 2 hours - a superb "experience" game - so worth the asking price and much more than the usual walking simulator that these games can often be.

Episode 1 is still the best one, the whole thing gave me the creeps but the mix of styles works well too - some fun puzzles in there as well. 

I don't suppose anyone has a spare discount voucher for Motorsport Manager?  They were giving out 50% codes to owners of Football Manager I believe. 

edit: Turns out the vouchers were only valid for a month anyway.

So Introversion (Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon, Prison Architect) released a new game last week - anyone taken a look?

Inspired by Gone Home and Dear Esther, Scanner Sombre is a cave exploration experience. With stunning visuals and a terrifying theme, it is the 6th major video game released by Introversion Software 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/475190/Scanner_Sombre/

(E: I searched in Discussion but didn't see anything relevant - apologies if it's old news)

I meant to start a thread for it but didn't get around to it. 

Bought this basically on a whim on release day and I really enjoyed it. 

You have to like walking simulators. They make no secret of the fact that that's what it is - as in the quote above, they namedrop Dear Esther and Gone Home as inspiration. 

It's not very long (I finished it in one sitting of about three hours). Some people might think the price is a bit steep for such a short game. Not sure it'll have much replay value, although there is a New Game Plus mode with at least one nice little additional touch near the start. (I didn't play NG+ for very long so I don't know if the rest of it has anything interesting). 

It's beautiful-looking but there's a performance cost. The game retains every LIDAR point you scan, so the further you go, the harder the engine has to work. By the end, the frame rate was pretty rough on my (admittedly five-year-old but relatively beefy) PC. I think it could have done with some more LOD optimisation, probably. I'm not a programmer though so please don't assume I know what I'm talking about. ;)

On the whole I would recommend, especially while it's still on the introductory sale. With the caveat that it is very linear and as I said, you would have to like that sort of game. 

I really like walking simulators (or narrative discovery or whatever...walking simulator isn't a derogatory term right, it's used affectionately now?) and like that they are 'easy' and linear. I don't get much time for games, and things like DOOM or Deus Ex are just sitting there un-played because I can't really get into them, for practical reasons. It's nice having a genre of game where I can feel a sense of completion, even though there was no real skill involved.

In fact, I love it when there's no alternative ending or branching, because I don't have time to try loads of things out repeatedly, though I guess sometimes I would like some sort of vague challenge.

I absolutely loved Virginia because it told a story well, while leaving a lot to interpretation, and felt fresh for a few reasons. But that said, the exploration of environments really wasn't there, and there was so little freedom that occasionally you wondered if it would have been better just removing the 'movement' and just letting you pan around and nothing more. I don't know, maybe this tenuous interaction helps keep you engaged, if you just watched a fullscreen walkthrough on youtube of the game, you might not engage quite so closely with the characters.

I don't know what the point of this post is. Procrastination I guess. Maybe I just want a mechanic where the walking is hard, maybe something where there's a bit more orienteering to the 'walking' process. Some sort of evolution. Maybe this is mapping, then the next phase of story has more reward. I'm not sure if that's what they've tried to do with Scanner Sombre? 

I recently played through Ethan Carter and really enjoyed it. It had just the right amount of exploration, I never felt lost or like I was being funneled down a corridor either so maybe check that out if you haven't played it. It actually gave me a new appreciation for the genre, made me view them as a good delivery mechanism for short stories that would otherwise feel stretched thin in a bigger, more mechanically complex game. The whole non-game 'walking simulator' tag feels like it's missing the point of what these games can deliver.

So having finished that, I'm currently playing through What Remains of Edith Finch and it's absolutely wonderful. Such incredibly creative storytelling and worthy of the praise it has received.

Good to hear, I'm a walking simulators fan but I've not played one for a while after Dear Esther made me want to claw mine and at least 34 other people's eyes out in sheer boredom even before you take into account its approach to savepoints.

Anyone done Ethan Carter in VR?

Also on the most "Actual adventure" side of walking sims I really enjoyed Oxenfree recently, but that's hardly a hot take.

I just recently played Gone Home and reaaally enjoyed that. I thought it was great. I liked Ethan Carter as well, but not quite as much. Dear Esther was too depressing, I stopped playing that after perhaps 20 minutes. So I guess I just lean towards walking simulators that are a bit "cozier" so to speak, even though even that is a bit of a stretch to say about Gone Home.

Really want to play Edith Finch, enjoyed Oxenfree as well (although I wouldn't put that in the same category at all to be honest).

At the moment I'm playing the point-and-click adventure Kathy Rain, a nice little detective story. It's amazing so far!