IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

10 hours ago, strider said:

I have these plugs. One sits need to my router, the other near my pc and they connect via Ethernet ports. Black magic then sends the internet through my mains to my pc in the shed.

Yeah that's not "Over the internet", that's what I said.

Which means that "Good news! It'll probably work!"

1 hour ago, Broker said:

Except for naming your settlements "shitport" and stuff

The touchpad keyboard thing is pretty serviceable actually. I don't want to mislead you of course as it's still a fair bit slower than an actual keyboard but I find myself using it for convenience (but probably naming things myself a bit less if I'm honest).

Dangerous Golf from the makers of the Burnout games is out. I've been following it ever since it was announced and bought it straight away but it's looking like it may have been better in Early Access (although there is a 3gb patch apparently but I'm not seeing it yet). It needs a pretty powerful machine to handle all the physics going on and the sound cuts out quite often. Also there is no keyboard and mouse support, it's 360 pad only (no support for ps4 pads either). 

What I've managed to play of it without the game slowing to literally 2fps and 1% GPU usage is good fun but it doesn't feel so much a game but more of a physics simulator, you don't seem to have a hell of a lot of control over where the ball actually goes. It does look incredible though.

Lag in what sense, actual input lag or low video quality, or general jerkiness or what? I found Steam made some really shit decisions re: available bandwidth where it worked nice for a while but then for some reason it decided to use a terribly low bitrate (it suggests leaving "limit bandwidth to" on automatic but while my homeplugs could happily manage 15-20 Mbit in actual use it decided to drop it to 5 Mbps one day and stuck there - you can see in the logs what it actually uses). Other things were setting the TV to game mode made a huge difference to input lag, not something I've ever noticed before for consoles locally attached. And finally, despite the Intel graphics chipset in the client receiving the video being perfectly capable for video decoding I found switching it to software again really, really smoothed stuff out (possible bug in the drivers and Windows 10, I couldn't work out what the was the correct driver to install and I very much doubt Win 10 did either given the versions that installed I couldn't even find anywhere) but it's a quad core CPU anyway so it can cope. 

All that shit has got me worried about even trying a Steam Link to be honest. 

Are Steam keys universal? I wanted to gift Dragons Dogma and MGS V to my young cousin, but they seem cheaper on various websites around the net than they are on steam. But a lot of the sites have country flags next to the games? I don't want to waste money buying something he can't redeem (He is in Australia) cheers

20 hours ago, Dudley said:

It was for me.

Good to hear :)

Anyway, it works now! Pro-tips: make sure you have streaming enabled in Steam itself :lol: and that network sharing/discovery is on in Windows 10.

I'm playing Witcher 3 in the living room and it works! Looks fine, but I did drop the resolution down to 720p to make it feel slightly more responsive. I suspect this is a personal thing, ymmv. What a nice device for this price! And I can also use it to control the entire desktop and watch movies from my pc and stuff. Excellent 

7 hours ago, SteveH said:

Are Steam keys universal? I wanted to gift Dragons Dogma and MGS V to my young cousin, but they seem cheaper on various websites around the net than they are on steam. But a lot of the sites have country flags next to the games? I don't want to waste money buying something he can't redeem (He is in Australia) cheers

It will warn you/your cousin if you are gifting something outside of the games regional redeemable area. What a horrible sentence, in more ways tham one.

More info here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/new-regional-restrictions-on-steam-gifts-come-to-light/

23 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Anyway, it works now! Pro-tips: make sure you have streaming enabled in Steam itself :lol: and that network sharing/discovery is on in Windows 10.

I'm playing Witcher 3 in the living room and it works! Looks fine, but I did drop the resolution down to 720p to make it feel slightly more responsive. I suspect this is a personal thing, ymmv. What a nice device for this price! And I can also use it to control the entire desktop and watch movies from my pc and stuff. Excellent 

Why are you having to drop it to 720p, is the network not keeping up or is the Steam Link not able to handle the decoding without dropping frames?

2 hours ago, stefcha said:

Why are you having to drop it to 720p, is the network not keeping up or is the Steam Link not able to handle the decoding without dropping frames?

Pfft no idea, I just tested it to see if it makes a difference. The stream is also processed on the host gpu, so I figured it would free up resources. There are also a few stream settings that I haven't messed with yet, so I might bump it back up to 1080p eventually. 

FWIW I'm pretty happy with it, but I wouldn't want to use this as my main way of playing games - everything looks and feels umpteen times better when you play it natively of course. But thid is a very nice back-up if the situation demands it. And a really easy way to stream my entire desktop to the living room! 

Yes, that's what I'm using. Needs a dongle for wireless or else a wired 360 controller. 

If you switch to Steam desktop mode you can even keep using the 360 controller as a mouse to browse your desktop. Launch Chrome or VLC or whatever. Left trigger is right mouse click and right trigger is left mouse click.

57 minutes ago, deKay said:

Just ordered a Steam Link as they're only £30 at the moment.

Then I realised I didn't think to check controller options.

Can I use a 360 pad?

Yes, but if it's wireless you'll need the PC wireless adapter for them.