Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

GFWL is still working and Microsoft have said they will continue to support it. Hopefully that just means keep the servers ticking over so those games that haven't had it removed will still work.

If you've played FO3 before with GFWL you can still login and use your saves. Does seem Steam isn't generating keys or showing the one you already have. GFWL was never integral to Fallout, you could always ignore it, which is why Bethesda didn't do any updates when GFWL was supposed to be closing down.

Until you sign in to GFWL you can't click 'continue'. You can start a new game, but not carry on with one you've already started - as far as I can see - until you sign in to GFWL and input the serial key. While googling I saw someone mention moving game saves but helpfully they didn't tell you how to do this or where to save them for them to work as normal.

Thanks, Polmon! From that link I visited where my games should have been saved and noticed that they had already been moved (maybe Steam did that?). I did the opposite of what was suggested and moved them from 'saves' into 'username' and now Fallout can find them again! Saves saved!

Good news, thanks, at least EA means it's getting closer and still a thing.

Talking of early access, I saw the Planetary Annihilation box in Game. Apart from the yellow banner, it had no mention of what early access is or the risks included.

Not overly keen on early access as it is and the prominence that Valve puts on it, really hope we don't start to see more boxes like that on shop shelves.

New Humble Bundle "Eye Candy":

PWYW for:

• KAMI
  • Ballpoint Universe Infinite
Beat the Average:
  • Secrets of Rætikon + Artbook
  • Antichamber
  • Cinders
Over $12:
  • Mercenary Kings
Broforce is a weekend deal on Steam for £7.99, but you can get it on the Humble Store for £5.99.

So I've just bought this for Cinders and Secrets of Rætikon. If anyone would like 140, KAMI, Ballpoint Universe Infinite or Antichamber, send me a PM :)

EDIT: KAMI and 140 are now gone :)

Right click on a game from your library and click on Properties, then go to the Updates tab. There's a drop down box to choose between automatic updates, no updates and high priority updates.

Some game behave differently than others, I've noticed. Some games are absolutely happy to have updates switched off... they'll be ready to play in whatever state they're in. However, some other games - particularly Source engine games - will refuse to run until you've downloaded an update.

I also have an annoyance in my download queue. One day a surprise "Source SDK base 2006" and "Source SDK base 2007" update started downloading, clocking in at over 2GB each. I thought "Fuck that" and put them on pause. They've been on pause ever since, and I'd like a way to cancel/clear them from the list, but I don't think it's possible. I'm not downloading that many gigabytes for old Half Life 2 games I'm never going to play again.

Good news, thanks, at least EA means it's getting closer and still a thing.

Talking of early access, I saw the Planetary Annihilation box in Game. Apart from the yellow banner, it had no mention of what early access is or the risks included.

Not overly keen on early access as it is and the prominence that Valve puts on it, really hope we don't start to see more boxes like that on shop shelves.

They're selling Early Access titles in Game now? Well, I appreciate it's only 1 at the moment, but surely that's not a good thing. It (irrationally?) makes me hate Early Access stuff a bit more now.

They're selling Early Access titles in Game now? Well, I appreciate it's only 1 at the moment, but surely that's not a good thing. It (irrationally?) makes me hate Early Access stuff a bit more now.

Seems to have been released this week.

I saw it in Game a week or two ago (before the Steam sale started). I debated taking a picture and sending it to a few sites/the Crate & Crowbar podcast just to see if it prompted any discussion but in the end decided it was too much effort :D

Yeah.

Serious question : How many Early Access titles have so far been declared "finished". Because I can't think of a single one. Kerbal, Prison Architect, Age of Racing, Gnomoria have all been Early Access roughly forever.

Gnomoria has been three fucking quid. Steam's sales basically treat them as if they'd been released properly at the time of starting early access.

Yeah.

Serious question : How many Early Access titles have so far been declared "finished". Because I can't think of a single one. Kerbal, Prison Architect, Age of Racing, Gnomoria have all been Early Access roughly forever.

Gnomoria has been three fucking quid. Steam's sales basically treat them as if they'd been released properly at the time of starting early access.

Divinity, this week.

Broken Age, came out of early access at the end of part one (similar to a telltale game)

Early Access has existed for what - a year? Games take a long time to make, especially from smaller developers who don't have the luxury of ten outsourced studios to throw at the game to make it in 18 months. I wouldn't have expected too many to be finished by now.

Really this is about dodgy expectations, it seems what people actually expect from EarlyAccess is the game to go from playable to finished in a few months - about the length of an average marketing campaign, rather than how long they actually take. Minecraft took two and a half years, despite increasing the dev team several-fold.

Games take longer to make yes, But that means things must be entering early access when they're just a shell, I'd expect something in early access to be 75% complete minimum.

If it's really that bad, where everything has a year or more to go you don't have "Early access", what you have is a glorified kickstarter and while that's fine they don't come CLOSE to saying that on Steam itself and certainly should do a LOT more to inform people that the game they thought they bought probably has a 50% chance of ever being finished.

Games take longer to make yes, But that means things must be entering early access when they're just a shell, I'd expect something in early access to be 75% complete minimum.

Early Access is just a Steam version of business models that were being used elsewhere. Minecraft was in a super basic state right at the start - one biome, four enemies, etc, still super compelling and people badgered the guy to charge for it. Same with Kerbal, had only 3 parts to start with and people told the team to start charging for it because it was super interesting, and they were doing it on their site. Same with Day Z, and so on. It's helping a bunch of interesting and unique experiences be viable in a way that the traditional publishing industry won't.

I think it's working as intended, if you have a problem with it, there's a really simple solution, which is called "waiting for release".

Early Access is a bit of a mixed bag.

The Golf Club and Assetto Corsa are both excellent games and very playable. Even Next Car Game isn't too bad but just lacks a bit of content.

Planet Explorers is another example although I've not played much of it. Seems enough there to get plenty of enjoyment out of it.

I think it's working as intended, if you have a problem with it, there's a really simple solution, which is called "waiting for release".

I'm not sure it is because I don't think they're communicating those intentions nearly well enough, it has no Kickstarter style "Risks" section for instance. I think people are expecting things that are considerably more finished and nearly guaranteed to get a proper release.

I am waiting for release, I didn't even buy Gnomoria at three quid but I think they're not labelling it well enough and by throwing the sales at unfinished games they're going to make fuck all money when they're actually released, which means they'll need to make all their money on their early access release which really will ruin them as a concept.

Plus, if they make 90% of their money on their early access release there will be absolutely no incentive for games to ever actually get finished.

The whole thing can become counter productive very, very easily and I don't think Steam are helping at all here.