IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I went with ATI because of NVidia's RIDICULOUS overcharging on their cards. Compare the R290 to the 780ti, and there's not a great deal of difference - except the insane price gap.

It's insane how much bother I've had, though. I never had much issue with my shitty 650ti - except the utterly dire performance of the card, anyway.

Most 780's overclock to mental levels (easily surpassing Titan/ti stock performance)if you do the voltage hack. 290's not so much as they are already operating at close to the edge.

Most 780's overclock to mental levels (easily surpassing Titan/ti stock performance)if you do the voltage hack. 290's not so much as they are already operating at close to the edge.

Yep, it's why I was careful to mention that the 780 was specifically weaker at stock, but had better overclocking potential, in my post. One of the flaws of the (otherwise extremely useful) Anandtech Bench is that it only compares stock to stock.

New Humble Bundle "Eye Candy":

PWYW for:

• KAMI
  • Ballpoint Universe Infinite

Beat the Average:

• Secrets of Rætikon + Artbook
  • Antichamber
  • Cinders

Over $12:

• Mercenary Kings

Broforce is a weekend deal on Steam for £7.99, but you can get it on the Humble Store for £5.99.

Fallout 3 is being weird for me at the moment. I bought it from uplay, downloaded the software, activated the product on steam, and it used to work fine. Now it is asking for a serial number that is 25 characters long. The serial key they emailed me is only 12 characters long! I can't get it to work. Now, when I try and retrieve the key using Steam it just searches endlessly with no luck. :(

Anyone encountered this before or have any ideas on how to fix it?

Fallout 3 is being weird for me at the moment. I bought it from uplay, downloaded the software, activated the product on steam, and it used to work fine. Now it is asking for a serial number that is 25 characters long. The serial key they emailed me is only 12 characters long! I can't get it to work. Now, when I try and retrieve the key using Steam it just searches endlessly with no luck. :(

Anyone encountered this before or have any ideas on how to fix it?

I assume it is still trying to get through GFWL, even thought they removed it. Since it is officially removed that is why Steam won't generate a new key for you.

The options listed on the internet appear to be close down GFWL if it opens, the game should work, or create an offline account. I haven't played Fallout 3 since GFWL was euthanised. Sorry.

I already posted this in the Divinity: Original Sin thread, but since it's also about Steam:

Divinity: Original Sin is Larian Studios' fastest-selling game ever

Word of mouth ensures that Divinity: OS is still at the top of the Steam charts as I type this and deservedly so - it's all kinds of brilliant. It also proves that quality RPG's like this still have a more than noteworthy potential audience.

Old-school fantasy role-playing game Divinity: Original Sin is Larian Studios' fastest-selling title ever, the developer has confirmed to Eurogamer.

The £29.99 game launched proper on 30th June after a stint as a Steam Early Access title, and has already shifted 160,000 copies. At the time of publication it was the top-selling game on Steam.

[...]

"It's doing pretty well," Larian boss Swen Vincke told Eurogamer. "We're very happy about it. And to be honest we didn't expect it. We thought it was going to do well but not this well.

"It's definitely the fastest-selling game we've ever published. The last figures I saw we were at 160,000. For us that's pretty good. We're definitely going to break even and hopefully we'll make sufficient profit for our next game."

Vincke put Divinity: Original Sin's success down to its Steam Early Access and Kickstarter communities.

"The feedback we received from them was worth its weight in gold," he said. "It's almost a co-development between us and them, because they pointed out things we were doing wrong, and encouraged us to expand on the areas we were doing right. As a result you get a group intelligence applied to a game. It's always much better than a single person."

This, coupled with strong word of mouth, is keeping Divinity at the top of Steam's sales charts, ahead of the likes of DayZ and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.

"It's word of mouth that is driving Original Sin right now," Vincke said. "We were late with our game, working on it until the last day, so we don't even have reviews out there. We have exactly two ads we did with the last of our money. It was definitely not marketing doing it."

After reading the review of it on Eurogamer, I thought I'd pick up Stranded.

Looks like it could be really great. God knows whether it's because I grew up with this sort of graphical look, but it appeals to me so much. Reminds me of Lucasarts 'The Dig' in terms of atmosphere.

Well worth the £6 it cost :)

I assume it is still trying to get through GFWL, even thought they removed it. Since it is officially removed that is why Steam won't generate a new key for you.

The options listed on the internet appear to be close down GFWL if it opens, the game should work, or create an offline account. I haven't played Fallout 3 since GFWL was euthanised. Sorry.

Oh bollocks, I forgot I was going to get back to and finish Fallout 3 before GFWL got switched off in case it buggered everything.

Is there a way to turn off all auto-updates so I just download them as and when I come to play a game?

And what's this account sharing malarkey? Can I give people my account details and they can play my games whenever I'm not on steam?

Right click on a game from your library and click on Properties, then go to the Updates tab. There's a drop down box to choose between automatic updates, no updates and high priority updates.

Not so sure about account sharing, but I think you can still use Steam at the same time, just not the same games at the same time.

After reading the review of it on Eurogamer, I thought I'd pick up Stranded.

Looks like it could be really great. God knows whether it's because I grew up with this sort of graphical look, but it appeals to me so much. Reminds me of Lucasarts 'The Dig' in terms of atmosphere.

Well worth the £6 it cost :)

Oh no. I love walk-em ups but Stranded us probably the most disappointing game I've played in recent years.

And this is coming from someone who adored Dear Esther and Proteus.

I agree. Unless I really missed something there's just no content really. It hints at something much more interesting that never develops.

Yeah, I'm afraid I'm with Who and GhostGS on this one - I loved the art in the game, and didn't mind wandering around it, but in the end it wasn't all that satisfying an experience, and the close was underwhelming. As a curio it was fine, but it felt very underdeveloped; the lack of any typical 'gameplay' was fine, but the world needed to be a little bigger, or the story needed to go somewhere a little more interesting. A beautiful game, but shallow.

Thanks for the info. Ruddy GFWL ruining my fun. :hmm:

Oh bollocks, I forgot I was going to get back to and finish Fallout 3 before GFWL got switched off in case it buggered everything.

Yeah, I spent a good few hours on it the other day and now, without being able to use GFWL, I can't get my save file back. Not sure I can be bothered to go through the same bit again, even though I was enjoying it, especially when there are games like Alpha Protocol demanding my attention!

Yeah, I spent a good few hours on it the other day and now, without being able to use GFWL, I can't get my save file back.

OH SHIT. You can't access the saves without it? There's that GFWL spoofer thing that might work? God, I hope I've not lost my save - it's years old and I'm about 3/4 through the game!