Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

People who've kept up with this might wonder what happened with Contracts and how they got around the copyright claim for a song used in one level, which was what stopped it being released on Steam up until now.

The answer is that Square-Enix have just straight-up removed the soundtrack file from the game, which has removed all music (not just the copyrighted song), all spoken dialogue, and a lot of ambient sounds. :lol:

People who've kept up with this might wonder what happened with Contracts and how they got around the copyright claim for a song used in one level, which was what stopped it being released on Steam up until now.

The answer is that Square-Enix have just straight-up removed the soundtrack file from the game, which has removed all music (not just the copyrighted song), all spoken dialogue, and a lot of ambient sounds. :lol:

picardfacepalm.gif

It seems 'The Castle Doctrine' has a confirmed Steam release date of January 29, 2014.

I'm sure you've seen in the usual places (RPS etc.) that Jason Rohrer has decided not to ever put it on sale beyond the initial launch discount (25%). That means that the cheapest it will be is if you join the alpha now for $8 (50% off).

I've never actually played any of this guy's games (although many are free and even this one is open source) but he really seems like a fascinating dude. He seems to want to avoid people impulse buying his game on a 75% or greater discount, never playing it and regretting it. Seems like business suicide I think I can count on one hand the games I have bought on Steam full price. However he realizes that his game is not mainstream and has had experiences with Steam sales before.

I often visit his site just to read his stuff. The story of how his wife got bitten by a dog was really interesting as a motivation to make this particular game. http://thecastledoctrine.net/seedBlogs.php?action=display_post&post_id=jasonrohrer_1375813898_0&show_author=1&show_date=1

Maybe in the future i'll buy this (even though it will be more expensive) but it seems like a super niche game that needs a large time input to appreciate.

Oooh, thanks. I've been waiting for the All You Can Eat complete edition to go on offer but can't say no at that price.

Edit: I've bought it, and they say they need to validate my order, which will take 4 hours. Insanity. Never buying from there again.

Edit 2: Arrived 90 minutes after I ordered. Still inane for 2014.

Oooh, thanks. I've been waiting for the All You Can Eat complete edition to go on offer but can't say no at that price.

Edit: I've bought it, and they say they need to validate my order, which will take 4 hours. Insanity. Never buying from there again.

Edit 2: Arrived 90 minutes after I ordered. Still inane for 2014.

I've been waiting for this to come up on sale since Christmas, and even without the All You Can Eat pack you can't complain really for £2!

If you're still after the add-ons, they're £4.69 on Green Man Gaming, and the GMG25-0YUM5-VKMVU code brings it down to £3.52. That's the complete pack for less than £6! A decent deal by anyone's standards!