Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I preferred when the games they sold on Steam were finished.

I don't know, I think this early access stuff is pretty good. It helps funding the game while still in development, as a participant you're taking part in development (if only by giving feedback on bugs or feature requests) and you see how the game grows from an interesting idea to a full, finished product. It's fun to be part of. Without it, we'd probably see less games.

Well, Papers, Please has so far been a gem in these sales. Usually I like these quirky leftfield games for their wacky ideas, play it for 30 minutes and get bored of it but this is so compelling. I just couldn't put it down. I'll probably complete it today, and then try to see how to work the branching save system to try different things.

They have their own separate category on the Steam store, they don't show up on the front page as a new release any more and they each have a massive blue banner that says "EARLY ACCESS GAME" right above the buy button. I think that is more than enough.

They do need to highlight them a bit better I think. They have a tag on the icon for DLC, so should do the same kinda thing for these potentially barely playable dream gambles.

And I agree with Nap, if it helps getting good games made that otherwise would never exist, then it's a good thing even if there's bound to be a few crappy ones too. And MID can simply wait until a game is actually finished before buying it, just like he did back when early access games didn't even exist. That's what I do too, I don't see any problems unless he is some kind of uncontrollable obsessive compulsive Steam games buyer* who hates himself for purchasing every single early access game without really wanting to.

well, to be brutally honest we're all a bit obsessive about buying stuff on Steam in this thread, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary

I bought 3D Mark, not sure why now though as it's just depressing. I don't need an app to tell me the new gaming laptop I bought is not all that - I already knew that from only getting 12fps on the Just Cause 2 benchmarks.

I bought 3D Mark, not sure why now though as it's just depressing. I don't need an app to tell me the new gaming laptop I bought is not all that - I already knew that from only getting 12fps on the Just Cause 2 benchmarks.

Just Cause 2 should run silky smooth on pretty much anything, so I think you've been duped if that laptop was sold to you as a 'gaming laptop'.

I think my GPU must have been stuck on some kind of power saving mode (even though I'd set it to run in high performance mode in control panel). I've downloaded the Aus GPU Tweaking thing and am up to 38 FPS even on the minimum Clock speeds. Thought it didn't seem right!

Dailies:

Antichamber £3.74

Max Payne 3 £2.99

Crusader Kings II £7.49

Rogue Legacy £3.95

The Witcher 2 £3.74, The Witcher £1.74

Tomb Raider £5.99, Collection £8.99

Shadow Warrior £7.49

Oblivion £3.74

Dragon Age Origins Ultimate £4.99

Flash:

La Mulana £1.19

Duck Tales £4.79

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes £3.74

Surgeon Simulator £1.74

It's worth paying the little extra to get DA Ultimate for all the DLC and expansion, lots of great content there.

They have their own separate category on the Steam store, they don't show up on the front page as a new release any more and they each have a massive blue banner that says "EARLY ACCESS GAME" right above the buy button. I think that is more than enough.

They do need to highlight them a bit better I think. They have a tag on the icon for DLC, so should do the same kinda thing for these potentially barely playable dream gambles.

And I agree with Nap, if it helps getting good games made that otherwise would never exist, then it's a good thing even if there's bound to be a few crappy ones too. And MID can simply wait until a game is actually finished before buying it, just like he did back when early access games didn't even exist. That's what I do too, I don't see any problems unless he is some kind of uncontrollable obsessive compulsive Steam games buyer* who hates himself for purchasing every single early access game without really wanting to.

well, to be brutally honest we're all a bit obsessive about buying stuff on Steam in this thread, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary

I've not said they shouldn't be on the service at all, just better highlighted that the state of the game may be some way off the average joe's expectation of what a paid for game should be.

I'm also not suggesting that the green light thing is an issue, I can see and many a great game has probably come through that.

Just browsing the forums of many of these games is enough to show that it's an issue for quite a few people. I've been stung a few times too (towns was one :()

I just hark back to a day when beta's used to be free and used as a way to improve a game, rather than fund it's development.

edit: The forum decided to strip out the quote tags on edit. That's a new 'feature'.