rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Die Hard 4.0 - Live Free or Die Hard

Both 3 and 4 weren't originally written to be die hard movies. 2 is great!

None of them were originally written to be Die Hard movies. The first is an adaptation of Nothing Lasts Forever (a novel, and itself a sequel to The Detective, which became a film starring Frank Sinatra) and the second of 58 Minutes (a novel). 3 and 4 were original scripts rewritten to feature McClane.

In essence, there is no such thing as a "Die Hard movie" in an original sense.

Anyhow, 3 is a great film. I do love the idea of the comic "Anyone have a four litre jug" ending that I reckon would have been much more fitting than what we got. It's harder to judge the rocket launcher ending because the scene is completely out of place. I liked it, but it's hard to say if it would have worked.

4 is fun, but even more over the top than any of its predecessors. It almost veers into parody.

Firstly, as far as sequels go Die Hard 4 is worse than Indy 4. Good one, Smitty.

There is no fucking way that DH4 is as atrocious as Indy 4. No fucking way. DH4 wasn't a Die Hard movie (but neither was 3; scottcr's right about that) but at least it was an entertaining flick in its own right. Indy 4 was bird-AIDS in celluloid form.

I saw this at the weekend. Even though I love Die Hard 1 and 3 (less keen on 2), I didn't particularly care about watching it, but I've just joined Lovefilm and I was adding anything I could to build up my wishlist. I suppose they must have got ready to send it out before I set it to low priority...

It had a few fun moments through the first 2/3 of the movie (terrorist message made up of US president clips; using a fire hydrant to take out the helicopter gunman) but mostly it wasn't very good. The jump jet sequence was not the fun sort of OTT. Fortunately the hacker character was far less irritating than most panicky young sidekicks in action movies.

Re: the guy who gets crushed in that spiky cylinder engine thing: in Tomorrow Never Dies (rated 12/PG-13) a villain dies very similarly by falling into a printing press, and I remember that having a lot more blood.

I saw the theatrical version. I didn't listen to the full commentary, but early on Willis and Wiseman talk a lot about the certificate they were aiming for, and they sound a bit guarded.

It would definitely have been better R-rated. I can't see why it wasn't, considering that the previous three Die Hard films had all done perfectly well with that certificate - and more recently the Matrix films and Sin City. (300 was massively successful, but only came out a couple of months before DH4, too close for it to have had any effect on Fox's decision.)

Going back to some comments from when it came out...

This was enjoyable and a lot better than expected but it never really felt like a Die Hard film and seemed more linked to True Lies (not helped by a kidnapped daughter and a set piece involving a jet).
This film was like a love child of Hackers and True Lies. With Terminator 3 having a bash in the corner.
DH4.0 really reminded me of Terminator at points, particularly the third in the franchise. Didn't help the kung-fu woman looked fairly similar to the female Terminator from T3, and seemed to be able to withstand a similar level of punishment without even feeling pain. Just as quiet and uncharismatic, too.

I think that towards the end it had some things in common with Mission: Impossible 3 (a film I think of as the epitome of the modern action movie, in that it incorporates every cliché and "story beat" and does it really well). For example: an aircraft attacks the on-foot protagonist on an elevated roadway; hero calls up his hacker ally (who happens to be played by a geek fan-favourite) just before the final action scene...

Come to think of it that's about it. Unless you count the loved one getting kidnapped and a countdown with a gun to the head, but they're in everything. ;)

Considering every damn R rated movie I've seen recently in the cinema has been packed full of kids, including Watchmen where people sitting next to me decided that was a suitable movie to bring 4 pre-teen kids too ;), I don't understand why the movie industry feels the need to make movies that should be "R", PG-13. See also: Terminator Salvation.

the problem with DH4 was that it wasnt r rated. it was also so unbelieveable it was more like a comedy at times.

I really like DH1, its a classic. Infact i like DH2 nearly as much. DH3 is a good decent film - i just feel it drags on about 15-20 minutes too long.

the problem with DH4 was that it wasnt r rated. it was also so unbelieveable it was more like a comedy at times.

I really like DH1, its a classic. Infact i like DH2 nearly as much. DH3 is a good decent film - i just feel it drags on about 15-20 minutes too long.

Me too. I love DH2 and I'm really looking forward to 12 Rounds which, I think, opens this Friday. John Cena and Tommy Carceti together in a Renny Harlin movie sounds good to me.