January 04

December Part 2 03

December Part 1 03

November 03

October 03

The thread that started it all

Miscellaneous Classic Material From the Forum's Crates

The Perfect CD for a Hip-Hop Virgin

Recommend Me Some Classic... Hip-Hop! (focusing on Golden Era late 80s/early 90s classics)

Recommend Me Some Modern... Hip-Hop! (mid 90s til the modern era)

Common - Like Water For Chocolate... and 'conscious' hip-hop (recommending jazzier, smoother, socio-political stuff rather than gangsta/street LPs)

Links

www.suspect-packages.co.uk

www.scenariorecords.com

www.rootdownrecords.com

www.rapandsoulmailorder.com

www.juno.co.uk

www.picadillyrecords.com

www.turntablelab.com

www.hiphopsite.com

www.ukhh.com

www.skratch-alienz.com

www.sandboxautomatic.com

www.daybydayent.com

www.thegiantpeach.com

www.hiphop-blogs.com/hiphop/

www.digitalgravel.com

Four Elements (old-skool videos)

http://www.hiphopgame.co.uk/audio.php

Recommended Radio Shows

XFM – 11pm-1am Saturdays

Beats FM – 9pm-11pm Saturdays

Hiphopphilosophy.com 24/7 hip hop radio

WeFunk Radio

Recommended Internet TV shows

The Breakdown (Yo Mtv Raps mix of interviews and videos)

Jedi Mind Tricks feat. Ill Bill -Heavy Metal Kings

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=602371FF183F33EE

Banger!

Da Nuts - Boozy's Best of the Beatnuts Volume 1

Intoxicated demons EP

beatnuts_intoxicat_101b.jpg

1. WORLD'S FAMOUS(3:23)

2. NO EQUAL(4:07)

3. REIGN OF THE TEC(3:21)

Street Level

beatnuts_streetlev_101b.jpg

4. HELLRAISER(3:10)

5. SUPERBAD(3:56)

6. STRAIGHT JACKET(3:56)

7. LET OFF A COUPLE(1:43)

8. RIK'S JOINT(4:01)

9. GET FUNKY(3:37)

10. HIT ME WITH THAT(3:36)

11. SANDWICHES(1:43)

12. PSYCHO DWARF(5:32)

Stone Crazy

stonecrazy.jpg

13. WORLD FAMOUS(1:29)

14. OFF THE BOOKS(4:42)

15. BE PROUD [iNTERLUDE](:27)

16. DO YOU BELIEVE(3:20)

17. FINGER SMOKE(:47)

18. STONE CRAZY(3:36)

19. HORNY HORNS(:34)

20. SUPA SUPREME(3:27)

21. THINKIN 'BOUT CASH(4:57)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=81D36A0F13F63DB2

Da Nuts - Boozy's Best of The Beatnuts Volume 2

A Musical Masssacre

musicalmassacre.jpg

1. BEATNUTS FOREVER FEATURING TRIPLE SEIS & MARLON "PERRO" MANSON(3:13)

2. I LOVE IT(4:13)

3. SLAM PIT FEATURING CUBAN LINK & COMMON(3:26)

4. LOOK AROUND FEATURING DEAD PREZ & CHERYL PEPSI RILEY(5:17)

5. MONSTER FOR MUSIC(2:48)

6. PUFFIN' ON A CLOUD(5:10)

7. WATCH OUT NOW(2:54)

8.. BUDDAH IN THE AIR FEATURING CARL THOMAS & GOB BOBLIN OF THE NOGOODUS(6:13)

Take It And Squeeze It

beatn-takeit.jpg

9. IT'S DA NUTS FEATURING AL TARIQ(4:09)

10. PRENDELO(LIGHT IT UP) FEATURING TONY TOUCH(4:19)

11. CONTACT FEATURING MARLEY METAL(4:02)

12. YO YO YO FEATURING GREG NICE(4:00)

13. NO ESCAPIN THIS(4:18)

14. WHO'S COMIN' WIT DA SHIT NA FEATURING WILLIE STUBZ(3:27)

15. HOOD THANG FEATURING MISS LOCA(5:10)

16. U DON'T WANT IT FEATURING TRIPLE SEIS(3:51)

17. SE ACABO(REMIX) FEATURING METHOD MAN(3:32)

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=AECA089C6ABD808D

Da Nuts - Boozy's Best of The Beatnuts Volume 3

The Originators

1. YAE YO FEATURING ILL BILL AND PROBLEMZ(3:46)

2. BUYING OUT THE BAR FEATURING CHRIS CHANDLER(3:21)

3. ORIGINATE FEATURING LARGE PROFESSOR(3:51)

4. U CRAZY (FEAT CORMEGA)

5. BECK'S 'N BRANSON FEATURING TRIPLE SEIS AND MARLEY METAL(5:17)

Milk Me

6. HOT FEATURING GREG NICE(3:24)

7. IT'S NOTHING FEATURING AG AND GAB GOBLIN(3:35)

8. U NOMSAYIN' FEATURING FREEWAY(2:29)

9. WE DON'T GIVE A FUNK(2:42)

10. MADNESS(3:20)

Bonus

11. Masta Ace Feat The Beatnuts & Rahzel - Oh My God

12. Simple Murder

13. DJ Honda feat The Beatnuts, Fat Joe , Problems & Al Tariq - 5 Deadly Venomz

14. The Beatnuts feat Al Tariq - Duck Season

15. Problemz, Psycho Les, Al Tariq & Greg Nice - Stick 'Em Up

16. Big Pun - Beware

17. Fat Joe - This Shit Is Real

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FB82564B0AC4FA40

Videos

No Equal

Reign of the Tec

Watch Out Now

No Escapin' This

Do You Believe ?

Props Over Here

Out For the Cash

Off The Books

Is it me or is there no links for volume 2 and 3?

Downloading 1 though. Wanted to get hold of the best Beatnuts tracks for ages man. Nice one. (Thats of course if your selection is up to it! :( )

Between The Beatnuts tracks and my Gang Starr collection that I've had for about 2 years, I've got some serious listening to be done to figure out how I can do a best of CD for both groups. When you've got about 40 tracks from each of them its hard work to put it on one Cd ffor each!!!

I picked up 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...' in HMV today and it's excellent. I was kind of surprised that I actually recognised some of the tracks, including one or two that I'd heard ages ago and always wandered where they were from. A nice surprise. :D

I also picked up the Redman album that you guys had been talking about recently, 'Whut Thee'. I think I prefer it to Cuban Linx to be honest and I can definitely see why you guys reckon its one of Redmans best pieces of work. It's only £5 in HMV at the minute too, so you can walk out with two quality albums for a tenner in there at the minute.

It was discussed in last month's thread, but I bought the new Jurassic 5 album yesterday. It's a bit disappointing, but it's not awful- there's nothing on there to match 'The Game' or 'A Day At The Races', but after a couple of listens there are some pretty good tunes on there. There's some real shit as well, though- there's one song that samples 'Brown Girl in the Ring' by fucking Boney M, of all things. That's the one part of the album where Cut Chemist's absence is felt most strongly- I really can't imagine Cut Chemist digging through the discount section of Woolworths in Morecambe, or trading Keb Darge a mint copy of 'Kung Fu Fighting' by Carl Douglas original 12" of 'The Best of Boney M'.

It's still alright, though. Some of the beats are really, really good, and some of them are just a bit dull.

Yeah, a mate of mine was on about the J5 album at a gig on Friday there. He seemed like a really big fan of it, but he was equally dismayed at the Boney M breaks. That one was produced by Scott Storch, I do believe. When will that guy make a good track? He's got so much talent as a musician, as anyone who has heard him grinding the keys on the incredible early Roots track 'Essaywhuman?!?!' will testify to, but as a producer he seems quite happy throwing weak loops into a dishwasher until they come out shiny and polished, but with their intricate patterns wiped away in the wash.

Without having heard the album I will guess that J5 buying a Storch beat made up of Boney M samples is a very ill-advised attempt at crossing over to the jiggy market, where Storch seemingly has shit locked. My mate seemed to like the album apart from that track, though, and he's usually got good taste (although he did admit to liking the Dave Matthews Band collaboration. I'm thinking he's maybe a J5 fan-boy, incapable of criticising them. I'm glad to see even he draws the line at sampling Boney M, however).

Same guy also reiterated Boozy's shout that the new Boot Camp Click album is amongst 2006's best. Another guy I know wasn't a fan, though. I can't imagine it being less than ill with both 9th Wonder and Pete Rock in on the production.

Oh yeah, funny you should mention Keb Darge and Cut Chemist as purveyors of funk. A Scot and a Scottish American, respectively. YOU KNOW WE GOT SOUL!

I've got too much stuff to catch up on.

Madlib - Blunted In The Bomb Shelter

The Nextmen - Blunted In The Backroom

DJ Shortkut - Blunted With a Beat Junkie

MOP - Warriorz

QNC (Cue Ball & Curt Cazal) - Duo Dynamic

Dan Greenpeace & Yoda - Unthugged

Verb T & Harry Love - Back To Basics

I've picked these all up in last week for between £5-£10 from Fopp and HMV. So far The Verb T album has had the most play. Really good beats across the board.

The blunted albums are all Trojan records compilations and filled with too many good tunes. The madlib one is 45 tracks alone. Haven't heard any of the others yet. I couldn't see much new stuff coming out to mention in the first post but I think I'm sorted for August.

Hope you enjoy the 'Nuts, criminally underappreciated beats over their career.

I can never keep up with these threads, so I don't know if it was covered in last months, but I've just gotten hold of...

553.jpg

after hearing a couple of tracks off it on a podcast today. It was released last week in the US. Anyone else heard it?

Just got Game Theory, can't wait to hear that.

It's probably last month, maybe the month before, but I just heard this Plan B dude, whats the general opinion? Worth listening to the album?

He's got so much talent as a musician, as anyone who has heard him grinding the keys on the incredible early Roots track 'Essaywhuman?!?!' will testify to

AMEN BROTHER!

It's a mammoth mix of old Trojan records. It's a reggae compilation. I don't really know much about reggae, but I got that because I'm a Madlib completist. I never really listened to it much, but I may return to it. I see it as a gateway to some reggae knowledge, but I've not quite got funk, soul and jazz locked like I do the rap game. They're the priorities for now. Reggae comes after.

Same guy also reiterated Boozy's shout that the new Boot Camp Click album is amongst 2006's best.

I must say, I have been rinsing fuck out of it in the last few days, I have been humming half the tunes non-stop, so damn catchy. Ace bunch of MCs, and the production is spot on.

Mint opening track, and I particularly love track three ("Yeah") which at 1st I wasn't too taken with.

In response to acidbearboy's late post in the last thread:

I've been listening to a lot of Madvillainy lately and feel that it's time to get some more Quas in my life. Where is a good place to start, the first album?

There are two albums, so it's not a whole lot to catch up on. I think the first album, The Unseen, is tied with Madvillain as Madlib's best stuff. Faster Pussycat intro, ill Axelrod loops, and just phat jazzyness throughout. It contains three of my all-time favourite Madlib beats, the weird, fuzzy 'Goodmorning Sunshine,' the psychedelic 'MHBs' and the threatening '24/7' (this track actually features two of my favourite Madlib beats, come to think of it. It completely changes halfway through. Both beats are amazing. Oh yeah, and the outro interlude is extremely incredible. It's this ridiculous section from an awesome Gary Bartz cover that I simply must find one day).

The second album, Further Adventures, is great, too. It's a bit more funky and up-tempo (The Unseen is blunted to the max). Further Adventures is a lot more schizophrenic and disjointed, but it adds to the appeal. It's like an insane psychedelic trip that just won't sit still. Wah-wah car-chase loops from Blaxploitation mix it up with fucked-up Sonic sound effects and sweeping strings.

I say The Unseen is like Madlib's jazz hip-hop album while Further Adventures is his soul hip-hop album. I think despite the extreme craziness of Further Adventures it's possibly the more accessible of the two, but The Unseen has the most depth. It certainly features some of his most layered and satisfying production, while Further Adventures is more like a rapid fire of good loops. The Unseen may not sound especially great on the first couple of play-throughs, but over time I believe it reveals itself to be one of the most inventive hip-hop albums ever. Extreme high quality. I wasn't too fussed with it for months, but it certainly clicked some time. I think the track 'Return of the Loop Digga' was the one that got me hooked. Check that one out for a condensed idea of the type of thing Madlib explores on the album.

I reckon you should get The Unseen first, if only to get fully acquainted with the Quasimoto character. Yes, it's just Madlib with his voice pitch adjusted, but the characters Madlib and Quas are quite different. There's a lot of humour. The lyrics aren't great, technically, but it's just rhythmic funny rambling to help the beats along. It's an interesting listen.

A non-hip-hop friend of mine played some Quasimoto in the record shop where he works. It caused the boss to remark, "this is what Frank Zappa would sound like if he made hip-hop."

Amazingly, The Further Adventures cover pays homage to Zappa's Mother of Invention album, Freak Out!

B0000009RT.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

quasimoto~~_furtherad_101b.jpg

Check Dilla shouting out the window :)

Flip, just listening through The Unseen again, cause I got in the mood. Too much of Madlib's finest beats on one album. Check the flutes and bassline on 'Real Eyes,' with the chopped up Mobb Deep sample here and there. It's like if Mobb Deep brought in this ill butterfly MC from the end of a rainbow some place and got him to spit some shit over a busted old bassline they found. The butterfly being the flute. Obv.

EDIT: Shit, now I'm listening to 'Boom Music,' with the chopped up Diamond D and Sadat X samples, with ludicrous chiming over the mad strumming bass. Lyrics about hip-hop artists being in government included.

Aaaaand now onto MHB's, a track that's guaranteed to put a smile on my face. Harps mix it up with choir, vibes, zig-zagging synth noises, tick-tocking percussion, scratching turntables and a sound that I can only describe as an exploding star. You'll know it when you hear it. Breath in the goodness and exhale. Aaah! ;)

Incidentally, the track 'Astro Travelling' towards the end is possibly the closest I've ever heard music recreate the effects of being absolutely stoned out of your nut.

madlibblunted.jpg

Madlib and the Trojan Records back catalogue. Sweet reggae sounds for a green eyed afternoon.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=53E6C74B75F5C229

New Primo

Keith Murray - My Style is Incredible

Cormega - Dirty Game

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CF65C9E7411235D6

That NBA 2K7 soundtrack is looking ridiculous. I never realised Automator was producing the whole thing. I FUCKING LOVE AUTOMATOR.

721.jpg

01. Mos Def "The Champ"

02. Slim Thug "I Love This Game"

03. E-40 & San Quinn "Competition is None"

04. Lupe Fiasco & Evidence "Catch Me I’m Balling"

05. Rhymefest "Bang the Ball"

06. Aceyalone & Rakaa (Dilated Peoples) "Champions"

07. Ghostface & A.G (D.I.T.C) "NBA 007"

08. Charli2na (Jurassic 5) "The Anchorman"

09. Zion I "Fade Away"

10. Fabolous "Ball Til You Fall"

11. Hieroglyphics "Hate the Game"

12. Tribe Called Quest "Lyrics to Go (Remix)"

I liked the sound of the Ghostface/AG track. Classic Automator drum patterns. Nice and shuffley. He's one of only a few producers I can think of who can make his drums sound both big and blunted at the same time. His tracks have a real lazy, sleazy quality to their rhythm.

I'll probably buy that soundtrack. I was in the process of picking up everything the Automator had worked on, but then it seemed like he stopped working for about 5 years there.

Now why has nobody mentioned the new Pharrell album 'In My Mind'. I foresee this being a Hip-Hop classic. Gentlemen please give it a listen , you will be pleasantly suprised.

I'm enjoying the album. But Pharrell is crap at MCing, plain and simple. That means the more RnB style songs on the album are the best ones, therefore talk of it doesn't belong much in this thread. I love the neptunes as much as anyone though, and its quite a nice album. Theres a thread all about the album somewhere in this folder anyway, seek it out.

Hip-Hop classic though? ^_^

I jest not Mr Dizogg, give it a good listen.

Before I indulge you, what are your other favourite Hip Hop classics? Gimme your top five Hip Hop albums of all time. I need a benchmark here.

Fucksake, man. No way is it a "classic." It's not even a classic by his standards, nevermind the entire genre's. I suggest you listen to more hip-hop.

Pharrell's album was a disappointing pop album with some decent, enjoyable charm here and there. It was likeable, disposable wallpaper music. That's never been the stuff of classic hip-hop.