rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
skeptic

PSP

I'm fairly sure most of you would agree with the views expressed on this weeks 1Up Yours show that the PSP has been somewhat of a missed opportunity for Sony.

Lazy ports and poor exploitation of the units considerable Media potential has, for me, made it the proverbial Jack of all trades, but master of none. I've got a 1gig memory stick but simply cannot be arsed to muck about with slow and fiddly encoding software and have never considered buying a movie on UMD.

So I was thinking why not relaunch the PSP with a large HD instead of the UMD drive and throw huge resources at developing an itunes style interface that allows users to rip or downloaded music, movies & games and then sync it with the PSP. This software would obviously be integrated into the PS3 as standard.

I don't know about you but on the rare occasions that I take my PSP out I rarely take more than a couple of games, and a 60gig HD would easily allow for most people to store their entire music library, a few games and a couple of movies.

Also if software was downloadable then maybe there could be a way of encrypting each individual download so it would only play on a specified paired device.

Sony decision to once again to attempt to impose their own proprietary media standard on the World has once again been their undoing, the PSP was a device crying out for a HD and instead it got a useless UMD drive.

Nintendo get away with releasing updated hardware all the time, maybe it's time Sony cut their losses and followed suit. Especially with MS Zuma enabled devices due before the years end.

I agree entirely, so as it doesn't bump up the cost/size/noise/power of the thing too much.

They really need to get some sort of official DVD-PSP movie ripping software going, too. UMDs were obviously a big mistake.

I have a 2GB stick, but when you look at something like the video iPod with its 60GB capacity, it really shows it up.

I don't see why this suggestion should cause uproar.

I'm just asking if people would like to see a PSP with a HD and better software to manage content including games.

They really need to get some sort of official DVD-PSP movie ripping software going, too. UMDs were obviously a big mistake.

I have a 2GB stick, but when you look at something like the video iPod with its 60GB capacity, it really shows it up.

While they're at it, they should let us use full resolution for video files instead of the crippled 'please buy UMDs, they're great!' maximum we currently have.

skeptic - they need to keep the PSP price down to make it competitive with the DS as a games machine, so including fixed HD storage which bumps the cost up wouldn't help.

It's a bit like the PS3 cost being high because it has Blu-Ray (even though the majority won't use it), only without the wow factor.

Also they could release games on it that are actually worth buying

The PSP is getting more gaming time in my house than anything else. Loco Roco, Daxter and Syphon Filter are all solid titles, and I'm currently having lots of fun with Dead to Rights and Exit.

The "PSP has no decent games" argument has rung hollow for many months now.

I agree entirely, so as it doesn't bump up the cost/size/noise/power of the thing too much.

But it will. Adding a hard drive will only make PSP more expensive, thirstier and bulkier, exacerbating its three main flaws*.

The fact is that while Sony has abused UMD as a format, the technology is a neccessary evil. Spinning a weeny plastic optical disc uses no power in comparison to spinning several metal ones. What Sony need to do is exploit memory stick more; remove the underhand limitations on memstick playback quality, reduce the price of the format and keep increasing the storage capacity whilst simultaneously providing a top notch front end in the iTunes vein. Easy really.

*If we ignore the software situation.

The fact is that while Sony has abused UMD as a format, the technology is a neccessary evil. Spinning a weeny plastic optical disc uses no power in comparison to spinning several metal ones. What Sony need to do is exploit memory stick more; remove the underhand limitations on memstick playback quality, reduce the price of the format and keep increasing the storage capacity whilst simultaneously providing a top notch front end in the iTunes vein. Easy really.

The cost and power issue is a point well made and taken. Imrovements to the capicity, price and usability of the memory stick would certainly be welcome instead.

I must admit, i hated the thing at first - the who theory behind playing PS2 games on the move did not appeal to me - the Ps2 itself was becoming rather tired to be fair.

Thats changed now and theres plenty of addictive titles that look likely to bring gaming pleasure, plus Ps1 emulation which IS something to look forward too.

A Hd would help of course, although a 2GB mem stick is okay really

The games have steadily improved but the battery life is terrible and the reflective screen is a joke. So this is a portable machine that I never take out.

Rubbish.

The screen is no more reflective than any other portable machine. The brightness of it makes it better to see in the daylight, which Nintendo realised when they made the DS Lite.

That said, I don't know why they need their screens to be shiny in the first place. A matte surface (like most panel televisions) would stop most of the reflection.

Why is the battery life terrible? How far do you travel that you can never take it with you?

OMFG that's so utter bullshit leznupar.

A second machine my ass. No one has ever done TWO ANALOGS on a console.

No, thats far to orignal for Sony.

Something smaller maybe - another screen prehaps, an extra button for real time weapon change, but not another anolog.

Actually in fairness they should rework the D-Pad so Capcom don't have to force people to use Dpad "PSP killer" adapters.

They need to uncripple the video playback and fast. I mean there's no need to hold it back now that UMD is dead.

The screen is no more reflective than any other portable machine. The brightness of it makes it better to see in the daylight, which Nintendo realised when they made the DS Lite.

That said, I don't know why they need their screens to be shiny in the first place. A matte surface (like most panel televisions) would stop most of the reflection.

So that's why the DS is easier to see in bright sunlight than the DS Lite then eh.
Why is the battery life terrible? How far do you travel that you can never take it with you?

Because it doesn't last very long? Even then it's going to be dead when you go to pick it up. It's always annoying when I go to play Outrun and it dies after 10mins. With the DS you can just grab it off the side and it'll be good for a while because it requires less charging.

OMFG that's so utter bullshit leznupar.

A second machine my ass. No one has ever done TWO ANALOGS on a console.

No, thats far to orignal for Sony.

Something smaller maybe - another screen prehaps, an extra button for real time weapon change, but not another anolog.

OK, OK

I just read about it in a PSP mag a while back - they had a mock up as well

Sorry but this just isn't true. The original GBA actually worked better under bright lighting conditions - especially flourescent strips in airports etc. The PSP screen just becomes a mirror under any bright light. It's terrible, get real.

The DS lite works well under all lighting conditions, dark, sun or flourescent.

As for battery life, I travel a lot. I like to travel light so carting a recharger with me is a joke. Around ten hours is great and enough for a few good gaming sessions over a weekend or business trip.

So ultimately I'd never leave home without a DS because a) I can actually see what I'm doing in most circumstances and b ) I don't have to keep recharging the thing every 2 hours.

P.S. I've actually grown to like the PSP more and more but I just don't use it as a portable machine because it's badly designed for that.

I'd be happy to buy a new version with a screen with a decent refresh rate. Whenever I have breaks from playing on it and go back, I'm always shocked at just how much ghosting there is.

Other than that, EEE, G'n'G, Powerstone and Ridge Racer 2 are getting my juices flowing much more than either the PS3 or Wii, so I've no complaints about it as a gaming platform.

How do you mean uncripple...i've not tried DIVX of anything yet....is it shit?

It's not that it's shit. It's just that it doesn't let you use the PSP max resolution for anything but UMDs, meaning you have to have borders round the whole screen. It's utterly stupid.

Sorry but this just isn't true. The original GBA actually worked better under bright lighting conditions - especially flourescent strips in airports etc.

Heh, the original GBA would only work under bright light. :ph34r:

The PSP screen just becomes a mirror (I certainly don't want to be looking at my own face when I'm trying to play games!).

The DS lite works well under all lighting conditions, dark, sun or flourscent.

I don't agree that there's a lot of difference. Unless you're under really bright or really focused light, the PSP and DS are fine. Outdoors, when it's sunny (i.e. Summer), they're both too reflective. The Lite is an improvement, but only when it's on its highest setting. The actual screens all have roughly the same shininess, so it's largely comes down to the brightness/contrast of the image on the screen. Metroid Prime Hunters and Splinter Cell Essentials (on DS and PSP respectively) are basically unplayable in sunlight, but Mario Bros and LocoRoco are clear as day and easy to see.

As for battery life, I travel a lot. I like to travel light so carting a recharger with me is a joke. Around ten hours is great and enough for a few good gaming sessions over a weekend or business trip.

So ultimately I'd never leave home without a DS because A) I can actually see what I'm doing in most circumstances and B ) I don't have to keep recharging the thing every 2 hours.

If your PSP battery is only lasting two hours, I would get it replaced as it's broken.

But Sony should definitely release a higher capacity battery. Or have they already?

If your PSP battery is only lasting two hours, I would get it replaced as it's broken.

But Sony should definitely release a higher capacity battery. Or have they already?

Joking aside two hours is actually not far wrong is it, depends on settings etc. I tend to get three hours out of mine if I'm lucky. This is still piss poor for what should be a portable gaming machine.

Fact is I love GTA: Liberty City Stories and Metal Gear Acid but simply can't play them on the PSP unless I'm in perfect lighting conditions. I haven't had this problem on any DS Lite games.

Joking aside two hours is actually not far wrong is it, depends on settings etc. I tend to get three hours out of mine if I'm lucky. This is still piss poor for what should be a portable gaming machine.

I would seriously get that looked at. Five hours is about normal for me.

GTA can be a bit of a dark game, admittedly.

Are memory sticks just arbitrarily expensive or is it really that difficult to make high capacity ones? How feasible would something like 20 or 40 GB be?

Not at all feasible, sadly. The ceiling capacity for memory Stick Duos has been stated as 32GB, but it's consumer use that drives down the cost, and the cost of a card this massive would be prohibitive in the lifespan of the PSP.

The prices of these units drops with usage. When I bought a PSP on (Japanese) release, a 512MB Pro Duo was about £45, and a 1GB £90. Because of the huge take-up of the PSP (and the popularity of the K750i and W800i phones), you can now get a 512 for a tenner and 2GB ones off eBay for £20-£30.

Continuing at a similar rate, it'd take about 2 years for the 8GB 'Stick to drop to the magic < £20 price point. 32GB would take much, much longer - I'd guess 4 years, miniumum, wherein a cheaper card type offering these sizes at cheaper cost will be available and the PSP will be dated technology no-one cares about anyway.

No, Sony have made their bed and now have to lie in it. They are too preoccupied with anti-piracy and the continuation of MagicGate to start using HDDs on the UMD.

Also they could release games on it that are actually worth buying

I've noticed your only contribution to the gaming dicussion board is to troll in sony topics you never actually talk about games you actually play you should join NTSC-uk if that's your thing.

Regarding a re-design I would just like sony to fix the d-pad and nub, make the screen better, better battery life just fix whats wrong with the existing unit and if they give it a better battery they could unlock 333mhz as well.