The Dark Knight

This film is going to be epic. I cannot wait. Hollywood really does need to keep an eye on running times though. If a film lasts over 90 minutes then it needs good reason too. This has marred Spidey 3, Transformers, Judd Apatow's work...

I can't say how I'm glad that TDK is not a 90 minute film.

So glad its looooooong.

I really don't understand the whole stigma to films being over 90 minutes - and 'worse', 2 hours - long. As long as it's all good, I don't see why it's an issue. If anything, I feel cheated whenever a film is under 2 hours. I recall seeing one of the Men In Black ones that was over almost as soon as I'd finished my cuppa!

I think it is because most films don't need to be over two hours long to tell their story, especially summer blockbusters. In recent years I can't think of a single blockbuster film that warranted a 2 hour plus run time.

Time Magazine review (not entirely spoiler free).

"This villain, as conceived by Nolan and his scriptwriter brother Jonathan and incarnated with chilling authority by Ledger, is not the elegant sadist of so many action films, nor the strutting showman played by Jack Nicholson in Tim Burton's 1989 Batman. He isn't a father figure or a macho man. And though he invents several stories about how he got his (facial and psychic) scars, he's not presented as the sum of injustices done to him. This Joker is simply one of the most twisted and mesmerizing creeps in movie history.

The Joker observes no rules, pursues no grand scheme; he's the terrorist as improv artist. Evil is his tenor sax, Armageddon his melody."

Oh, man.

This film is going to be epic. I cannot wait. Hollywood really does need to keep an eye on running times though. If a film lasts over 90 minutes then it needs good reason too. This has marred Spidey 3, Transformers, Judd Apatow's work...

I just hope Dark Knight justifies it... it looks like it could, and nobody is going to argue with more Ledger, but early reviews are a little concerning.

I agree with the Spidey 3 thing, but only because it was a terrible film - Transformers felt like a decent length though, and Apatow? I think his films are perfectly paced and couldn't be more on the spot.

Can't wait for this though, want to watch it with someone else though, I may drag my brother down for it.

extended 1 min clip of Joker entering the dinner party...

One youtube comment...

"Hey i just noticed that the clip in 0:38, is the same piece of footage only cut from 0:06, just something funny i spotted"

and it's true!! Can't believe such a big critically acclaimed movie uses a cheap trick like that! :o

extended 1 min clip of Joker entering the dinner party...

One youtube comment...

"Hey i just noticed that the clip in 0:38, is the same piece of footage only cut from 0:06, just something funny i spotted"

and it's true!! Can't believe such a big critically acclaimed movie uses a cheap trick like that! :)

ALL movies use cheap tricks like that. It's editing.

who would want to watch batman at 6am and be all sleepy?

There were added as all the midnight showing in the selected areas had been sold out. Not sure if there's then a 2:30 showing a 6am one or if normally they'd go from say 2:30am, show the film, close and then reopen at 11am.

I'm sure it must happen but I've never seen it reported as a news item before.

The edit is a tad jarring so I doubt it's in the final version.

It may be an edit added just for that TV clip, meaning a bit from the full scene has been removed. Could be for censorship issues, or to avoid any possible spoilers.

yeah. that TwoFace scene in the bar is an example of that.

Where is it showing early with free posters?

There was a list a few pages back (linky). Not sure if they're all doing the posters but the one near me definitely is. (edit: they should all be.)

I've booked for the Friday though as it's a bigger screen/auditorium than the Wednesday showing (and also my birthday so makes a nice treat -- thanks Warner :lol:).

There was a list a few pages back (linky). Not sure if they're all doing the posters but the one near me definitely is. (edit: they should all be.)

I've booked for the Friday though as it's a bigger screen/auditorium than the Wednesday showing (and also my birthday so makes a nice treat -- thanks Warner :lol:).

Does anyone know if the posters are the standard 1-sheet size, or just an average size?

Got my tickets for the early preview booked! Not too long now...

*Crosses fingers for a free Harvey Dent poster

They're lenticular, so you get all three in wan.

Don't see anything about it on the Cineworld website for Edinburgh, but the VUE is different and the Glasgow performance is a bit broken or sold out.

The other thing I noted was the forced and jarring inclusion of throwaway one-liners which fell flat.

I remember the jokes being good in Alfred's case, but in the last bit of the film, where Gordon becomes a bit of a hapless buffoon, the comedy is less successful.