rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight

Hey there.

I think Ryan Phillippe is a pretty good actor and look forward to seeing what he does with this. I loved him in Way of the Gun.

I'd be more worried about reports that Mrs Cruise is already "in training" for her role in the next film...

Despin out.

Ryan Phillippe may be set to take over from Tommy Lee Jones after reportedly landing the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face in the upcoming Batman Begins sequel.

I really hope this is just a stupid rumour. That would be awful.

It'll be great! Think about it: they couldn't get a good villain for the first movie so they're hedging their bets by putting three into the film and hoping one of them will rise to the task!

It'll be great! Think about it: they couldn't get a good villain for the first movie so they're hedging their bets by putting three into the film and hoping one of them will rise to the task!

:)

Hey there.

Erm... Did any of the "OH MY GOD NOT THREE VILLAINS" crowd see Batman Begins? That movie had at least 3 villains also.

Ra's Al Ghul, Scarcrow, Carmine Falcone as well as several other antagonists for him to deal with.

I also think they could well start the movie with batman catching or killing a villain and then moving onto the main story.

Despin out.

Falcone wasn't a 'proper' villain character and Scarecrow was barely in it as a villain (only towards the end), so it's not the same at all.

Having 3 main villains would just be messy.

Hey there.

"Falcone wasn't a 'proper' villain character and Scarecrow was barely in it as a villain (only towards the end), so it's not the same at all."

What the fuck are you on about? You havent seen the new movie yet. So it could be exactly the same.

Harvey Dent could be normal throughout the movie and get changed towards the end. Or maybe we just see him injured and that's it. Just a set up for later. Joker could be the MAIN villain and the Penguin could be just like the scarecrow. A smaller part of the Jokers plot.

There's you''re three names (because that's all you have right now isnt it? A name. No plot details) and a simple off the cuff explanation as to how they could all appear in the movie and not be fighting for equal super villain "OH MY GOD IT WILL BE HORRIBLE" screen time.

Despin out.

You can't have Joker and Penguin vying for screentime though, they're both main villains. It ought to take a whole movie just to flesh out Joker's character, any side-by-side implementation is just going to come off half-hearted, IMO.

I'd love to be proved wrong in spectacular fashion, of course.

Batman_Villains.jpg

I think not my friend...

Crivens, and me without my shark-repellant bat spray...

What the fuck are you on about? You havent seen the new movie yet. So it could be exactly the same.

Piss off Despin.

Im sure I read a couple of weeks back (before it was confirmed that Ledger was playing the joker) that Hoffman was in talks to play the penguin in the third film :)

Piss off Despin.

He's got a point, the Two-Face origin could easily fit into the film without it bogging the film down. If they want him as the villain in the third film then I'd much rather they set it up now then cram it all into one.

I think putting the Penguin in would be overkill though.

He's got a point, the Two-Face origin could easily fit into the film without it bogging the film down. If they want him as the villain in the third film then I'd much rather they set it up now then cram it all into one.

I think putting the Penguin in would be overkill though.

Given the 'realistic' approach that Nolan and his team have taken, putting someone like The Penguin in would have to be handled right. Blasphemy it might be, but the Gotham of Begins doesn't feel like a place that would have a character like the Penguin running about (but hey, you can't go wrong with Philip Seymour-Hoffman).

I think the suggestions mentioned in this thread make sense: The Joker has the obvious villain then perhaps Two-Face in a supporting role like The Scarecrow (except utilised better, I thought Cillian Murphy deserved some more screen-time) or with a set-up for a third. Much like Billy-Dee Williams in Burton's first Batman, just Dent's presence would be enough as someone heading for a fall.

I'll add I *heart* the casting choices thus far (except Cruise's child-bride). Even the thought of PSH in this makes me giddy.

Hmmm, now this rumour is a bit more worrying. It's from IMDb's WENN news service..

Ledger I can handle but Phillipe is awful. Mention of Penguin? 3 bad guys?

-------------------------------------------------

Ryan Phillippe may be set to take over from Tommy Lee Jones after reportedly landing the role of Harvey Dent/Two-Face in the upcoming Batman Begins sequel. Reese Witherspoon's husband will join Heath Ledger, who has signed on to play The Joker, and new Batman Christian Bale in The Dark Knight. Crash star Phillippe beat Liev Shreiber and Josh Lucas to the role of the scheming district attorney, played by Jones in 1995 movie Batman Forever, according to internet reports. Academy Award winners Sir Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman have also joined the cast, while fellow Oscar winner Philip Seymour Hoffman is in talks to play The Penguin in the new film.

Ryan Philippe could make a good Two-Face. Tommy Lee's Two-Face was too manic and the contrast between the evil and good side wasn't as striking. It would be with Phillipe I think.

Joker needs to be the main villain, but not as described earlier as "sad" or whatever. He's absolutely mental and he loves every minute of it. The Penguin has never been a character I liked much and I think he would look out of place here. I can easily see how they can fit in Two-Face in though.

Mrs Cruise needs to fuck right out of this film.

Ryan Philippe could make a good Two-Face. Tommy Lee's Two-Face was too manic and the contrast between the evil and good side wasn't as striking. It would be with Phillipe I think.

There wasnt a good side. TL seemed to play him as pure evil, no remorse, no play on character. Disappointing :unsure:

I couldn't tell the difference between TLJ's Two-Face and Carrey's Riddler in Batman Forever. They both just played cliched crazy-arse nutter villains. Woeful missed opportunity for probably my fave Batvillain

Dent is a tragic figure, tormented by the 'good' side of his personality. The recent 'Face The Face' storyline in the comics played his dual personality up brilliantly.

I like Phillipe, I think he's got the right pretty-boy looks for Dent and I liked him in Crash and Way of the Gun

As for The Penguin, his current comics incarnation is a kind of shadowy underworld figure or arms dealer type who poses as a legit (albeit fat and ugly with a monocle) nightclub owner, that would work just fine in Nolan's Gotham. There's no helicopter umbrellas and all that bobbins. Seymour Hoffman could play anything and I'd be riveted, so that's all good in my book. I think three (super)villains would be overkill but the rumour is that Dent doesn't become Two-Face until pt3.

Here's a bit of non-news I guess from Joblo.com, regarding who isn't in the movie. I think Penn might have made an interesting Joker but perhaps risked overshadowing Batman like Nicholson did in the original Burton movie. Hoffman would have be a great choice for The Penguin. I wonder who they'll offer it to next? Giamatti?

-------

What you may not know is not who IS in the movie but who ISN'T. Both villain roles - The Joker and The Penguin - were offered to Oscar winning actors and both actors turned the role down. Despite Nolan's recent assertions to the contrart, Batman-on-Film is reporting that Sean Penn was indeed offered the role of The Joker but declined the part, likely because of his commitment to his latest directorial effort INTO THE WILD.

Also turning down a role was Philip Seymour Hoffman who has long been rumored to play the Penguin and was recently given a full and formal offer from Warner Bros. He apparently contemplated the offer quite heavily before coming to the conclusion that it might not be the best move to make right after winning an Oscar for CAPOTE. While Penn would've made a decent Joker, I think Hoffman would've made a superb Penguin and it's a shame to see him go.

Hey there.

I think Ryan Phillippe is a pretty good actor and look forward to seeing what he does with this. I loved him in Way of the Gun.

I'd be more worried about reports that Mrs Cruise is already "in training" for her role in the next film...

Despin out.

As much as I love Way Of The Gun, Phillippe's unashamedely put on drawl almost spoiled it for me, it bordered on the ridiculous. Was hard to take him seriously. It was if a child was doing an impression of how an adult sounds.

I think Liev Schriber would make for an excellent Harvey Dent and TwoFace.

As for Holmes coming back, that's the first I've heard but I welcome the news. Despite the complaints of many, I think she did a fine job in Begins. Managed to be more than just a love interest for Bruce.

Phillippe would make an ok two-face. Also I think having him in the second movie as a build up character could work very well.

*spoiler*

As I re-call, Harvey Dent got scarred in the Jokers trial cuase the Joker threw a vile of acid in his face.

*spoiler*

Bit from Ledger on playing the Joker. I like the Clockwork Orange thinking.

Ledger on The Joker in The Dark Knight

Source: Toronto Sun, Toronto Star

September 8, 2006

The Toronto Sun talked to Heath Ledger, who mentioned The Joker in The Dark Knight:

Come January, he starts playing the Joker, in Christopher Nolan's next Batman film The Dark Knight. "It's definitely going to stump people. I think it'll be more along the lines of how the Joker was meant to be in the comics, darker and more sinister."

The Toronto Star also got a quote from Ledger about the role:

I wouldn't have thought of me, either. But it's obviously not going to be what Jack Nicholson did. It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel. Which is, I think, what the comic book was after: less about his laugh and more about his eyes.

Warner Bros. is eyeing a June, 2008 release for the Batman Begins follow-up.

Bit of news...

I think Norton could have been excellent as The Joker actually.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=1369

http://www.joblo.com/dark-knight-news

Latino Review, who first broke the news that Heath Ledger would be starring as The Joker in THE DARK KNIGHT, has some more news on Christopher Nolan's follow-up to BATMAN BEGINS. First, it appears that The Penguin is no longer in the film. It's unclear whether the character was at one time in the script or whether the rumors of Nolan approaching Philip Seymour Hoffman for that role were just completely fabricated.

Also no longer in the film is Katie Holmes. Variety confirms the news today and Latino points out that her character, Rachel Dawes, will return. Her people say she "dropped out" of DARK KNIGHT and if you believe that than I've got a bridge to sell you. LR also reports that Matt Damon was the first actor approached to star as Harvey Dent but he turned the role down. Now Nolan has narrowed his choices down to three actors - Ed Norton, Jamie Foxx and Josh Lucas.