rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Dark Knight

Totally amazing, even better than in the cinema for me. I actually think this might be my fave movie ever.

Ledgers performance is mesmerising. Bale strikes the right balance between cool,cocky, and fucked up.

The film also manages to straddle a blurry line of believability that stops me from going into rolling eye mode.

They're actually better than you think, especially the Focus Points on disc one. I was amazed at how much of the action scenes were done practically, especially the tanker flip. The Batpod and IMAX featurettes are fucking brilliant. Disc two has a fake chat show thing, it's worth watching for a laugh.

I may just have to check it out later this week then.

Is it me or do they cut the 'swipe' of the jokers slash in the 'bodybag' scene? Really annoying, it really loses something from that missing swipe shot.

Watched it about 5 times now, great film but it is flawed. That boat scene in particular stands out as cheap and the whole final encounter with both joker and dent seem really really anticlimatic. Shame because up to the point where the Joker escapes it really is flawless for me.

i thought the film could have done without the whole dent/two face side story, i thought it was pointless and the two face we ended up getting felt like a huge anti climax, nothing compared to Tommy Lee Jones's two face

For a movie that was hyped up because of the Joker there seemed to be too few scenes with him in it. And too many scenes with Bale, i find the whole batman character too two dimensional, i think these films should concentrate on the villains because they are the characters that get bums onto seats, i doubt many went to see this film for Batman

i thought the film could have done without the whole dent/two face side story, i thought it was pointless and the two face we ended up getting felt like a huge anti climax, nothing compared to Tommy Lee Jones's two face

For a movie that was hyped up because of the Joker there seemed to be too few scenes with him in it. And too many scenes with Bale, i find the whole batman character too two dimensional, i think these films should concentrate on the villains because they are the characters that get bums onto seats, i doubt many went to see this film for Batman

:(

Couldn't quote a certain bit, the whole post deserved it

:(

Couldn't quote a certain bit, the whole post deserved it

i don't see why, batman is a very dull character, its probably not Bale's fault, you just can't do much with the character. Batman Begins focused too much on Batman, reason why i thought it was very average.

I really liked Tommy Lee's Two face, and i also liked Nicholson's Joker. Heath Ledger brought something new to the table, Eckhart' two face was just some angry guy who really needed to get back to hospital before his eye drys out and he picks up a nasty infection. The whole side story was building up to Dent's emergence as Two face which was just disappointing and awfully brief. Anti climax is a perfect description.

Also i hope i'm not alone i thinking the talents of Gary Oldman has been terribly wasted so far in these movies

Also i hope i'm not alone i thinking the talents of Gary Oldman has been terribly wasted so far in these movies

It isn't a scene-stealer role which he normally gets but his talents were far from wasted. I think his version of Gordon is one of the most interesting things about the film.

i don't see why, batman is a very dull character, its probably not Bale's fault, you just can't do much with the character. Batman Begins focused too much on Batman, reason why i thought it was very average.

I really liked Tommy Lee's Two face, and i also liked Nicholson's Joker. Heath Ledger brought something new to the table, Eckhart' two face was just some angry guy who really needed to get back to hospital before his eye drys out and he picks up a nasty infection. The whole side story was building up to Dent's emergence as Two face which was just disappointing and awfully brief. Anti climax is a perfect description.

Tommy Lee Jones as the Two Face was awful. Cringeworthy awful. Well that whole movie was, but my god.

Tommy Lee Jones as the Two Face was awful. Cringeworthy awful. Well that whole movie was, but my god.

i have to disagree i liked that movie and that comes from someone who usually despises superhero movies. Tommy Lee i thought wa great, Jim Carrey was awesome as the Riddler, fuck Eddie Murphy bring back Carrey to reprise the role of the Riddler in the next movie, i can see him doing a more darker less comical Riddler. Of course Robin sucked but superhero side kicks always do.

i have to disagree i liked that movie and that comes from someone who usually despises superhero movies. Tommy Lee i thought wa great, Jim Carrey was awesome as the Riddler, fuck Eddie Murphy bring back Carrey to reprise the role of the Riddler in the next movie, i can see him doing a more darker less comical Riddler. Of course Robin sucked but superhero side kicks always do.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that everything you've posted in this thread has been a joke.

He's got a point, y'know. None of the movies so far (in either original series or relaunch) have made a particularly compelling character out of Batman, and the plot in TDK is arguably a movie driven Dent and the Joker's actions and decisions rather than Bruce Wayne (whose relationships with his supporting cast are largely superficial) or Batman (who spends most of the movie either chasing around dealing with The Joker's machinations or re-enacting Mission Impossible 3). It's something most superhero films have problems with, though, especially in sequels, so it's forgivable. Compare to, say, Iron Man, where we spend most of our time with, and being entertained by, Stark/Iron Man, but are deprived of a convincing enemy to pit him in conflict with. Or Batman Begins, in which Bats was taking the fight to the criminal world.

I enjoyed this a lot more on the second viewing. The first time was spectacle, the second the story took hold in my mind. I don't think two- face was underused at all, because Harvey Dent was so well realised as a character and Batman's just, well, Batman.

I liked Forever at the time but I was a young, though I can still sit down and watch it today and with ease.

Though one of the worst aspects of Forever is, Tommy Lee Jones. The character itself is poorly written, it's just not Two Face. There is one instance when he flips the coin twice because he doesn't like the first outcome. Thus breaking the key component of the character.

Forever was a thin movie to begin with, and time has not been kind to it at all. There's so much to dislike about it; the UV colouring, Two-face, Val Kilmer, Robin, the fucking Batmobile. It's just very poor.

Weird. I can see why people like this, after all it's a better action movie than most. But the dialogue. Oh my ears. They talk like they are giving speeches. I almost laughed at oldmans masturbatory love letter to the dark spazmo at the end.

The only decent performance was the joker.

Most of the plot was like they had written it while filming. Made up legal precedents, totally contrived surprises and ridiculous set pieces.

NOT the best film of all time.

I like how, when Bale's doing "the voice", it's almost like he has a lisp...

oh, and it's an AMAZING superhero film. It's multipart, like a storyline in a comic, that comes together in the final reel.

Maybe it's not, but the bit where dent is allowed to put al the crims on trial at the same time?

because they're all party to the same crime, linked through the accountant chinese fella?

Got this on Blu-ray for xmas and watched it for the first time thought it was pretty good until the utterly awful ending.

Now maybe I've missed something but two-face is dead yeah? Killed by Batman? The same Batman that never kills anyone. The one that not moments before didn't kill the mass murdering joker, yet now pushes Dent to his death to save one person :angry:

I'm convinced I must be wrong about the ending as surely that isn't what happened.

No, Batman is not an executioner and will do as much as he can to ensure people aren't killed, no matter how despicable (lets ignore Goyer's admittedly mongtastic brainfart solution to the previous film's finale). However, having been shot in the stomach, fighting with SWAT teams, savaged by dogs, beaten with a steel pipe and stabbed repeatedly, having a mere second or two to get back up and stop a little kid getting his brains blown out, what else, pray tell could he have done? It was the last ditch action of a shattered man half-dead on his feet, beaten and battered trying his best to save the poor lad, not to throw a man to his death - that is the difference. One final, desperate lunge in that split second Dent was distracted with the coin toss.

The bastard was fucking wrecked. Armour or no, he's waking up in a world of hurt the next day.

Still don't buy it. When has Batman ever killed anyone in the comics? It's kind of the whole point, the thing that set him apart from the criminals isn't it. And come on they could have done something that didn't mean he died, like batman landing underneath him or something.

I don't know it felt really really wrong to me, after the massive deal that had been made all the way through about him not killing people. Then he kills Two Face it's all, oh well better run away now. It fitted with what they did at the end of the film and possibly where they want to go with the story but I just felt it wasn't very Batman.

But killing him wasn't planned, though. It was an act of desperation. Every time the Joker tried to get him all stabby, there'd been a way to avoid killing.

Watching it a second time, I think I can say it was better the first time. If Batman Returns was a shop it would be All Saints, if The Dark Knight was a shop it would be Debenhams.

All the Morgan Freeman/Michael Caine/Bruce Wayne/Batman scenes get a big snore. Heath is amazing, Harvey Dent (to an extent) and I suppose Gary Oldman make this film good. That scene with Batman on a boat with the russian ballet squat, WAT. How did that make it onto the final draft?!

Incidentally, I went to blockbuster about a week ago and I told the assistant I wanted a superhero film. He asked me if I wanted to watch batman forever. I said nah, I'll just watch it once.

385730979_13a5ee175f.jpg

Still don't buy it. When has Batman ever killed anyone in the comics? It's kind of the whole point, the thing that set him apart from the criminals isn't it. And come on they could have done something that didn't mean he died, like batman landing underneath him or something.

I don't know it felt really really wrong to me, after the massive deal that had been made all the way through about him not killing people. Then he kills Two Face it's all, oh well better run away now. It fitted with what they did at the end of the film and possibly where they want to go with the story but I just felt it wasn't very Batman.

My mate and I were discussing this t'other day. He is a massiva comic book/Batman fan compared to me and pointed out that Batman does kill people, but its not always premeditated, satisfying or the point. He would never use a gun though. Apparently, as I say I'm nowhere near clued up on the Bat and his history next to him.

Only watched the film once and, even though they have the press statement/funeral thing for Dent at the end, the film still leaves it possibly open for him to be alive, possibly in Arkham. Thats what I though the first time I saw it anyway, not that it matters because he won't be returning in Nolan's universe and if he did kill him it was to save Gordon and his kid, which was Wayne's fault that he even got caught up in it all, and a pretty good - if regrettable - moral decision.