IGNORED

Manic Miner Ending

bcass

Note that when the cheat is enabled, a boot appears next to the lives at the bottom of the screen, and The Final Barrier does not reveal its secret so that people couldn't cheat at the competition.

Anyone know what happens?

Judging by those screenshots it looks like Willy exits through the 'horseshoe' type symbol, (I'm sure there's a proper name for it). You can then see him above ground and the 'horsehoe' appears to have turned into a fish and a dagger(?). It then appears the screen flashes blue and Willy then finds himself transported back to level 1. Maybe the fish and dagger are the unseeable elemenrts if you cheat. Was there a compo attached to this?

I played the c64 one til about level 18 before losing interest, pretty hardcore in its own right.

Oh yes, of course, the graphics for the exit have changed.

I think there was a compo back when it was first released. You must have had to rwite-in and tell them what appeared when you completed it.

Oh yes, of course, the graphics for the exit have changed.

I think there was a compo back when it was first released. You must have had to rwite-in and tell them what appeared when you completed it.

The google video posted by pipster shows exactly what happens and it is as I suspected. I watched the whole thing but you can just forward it to the last few seconds. Quite enjoyed the nostalgia.

And the password was Swordfish apparently. I would've been tempted by fishslice, probably. :rolleyes:

COMPLETING THE GAME

When you jump into the exit of The Final Barrier (and you haven't

used the 6031769 cheat) the door changes from an omega sign to

a fish and dagger, one above the other, the answer being

Swordfish. You were supposed to quote this in the competition

(i.e. the first person to quote what happened at the end

correctly must have won, though I don't remember ever seeing who

did it, if anyone). Then the game then starts again from the

beginning - in the true tradition of Spectrum Games.

ftp://ftp.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclai..._historical.txt

It's not clear if this was a bug byte or software projects compo, although the earlier video suggests the version by the first vendor, bug byte, has the coded ending. I wonder if the later version has it or even my beloved c64 version.

I did love this game. Seems retro gamer managed to singularly mention the game all the time without revealing any of this lovely trivia.

I seriously doubt anyone won that competition. Talk about obscure. It only flashes-up on the screen for a few seconds.

True but there must be details about the compo somewhere. I'm still interested in who set the competition, what the prize was and if anyone did win it.

As for the couple of seconds thing, I agree but even in my cursory searches I've read about people achieving highscores consisting of completing the game 6 times in one sitting. And I thought I was hardcore.

Thanks for the subject matter, I loved it. This is the sort of trivia I want to uncover. I'd love to ask Mathew Smith about the compo etc., instead of articles consisting of: Manic miner is great!, lolz.

Matthew Smith used to have a home page here http://www.the-good-stuff.freeserve.co.uk/index.html

It was there about 2 years ago. Not sure whats happened since. I saw some chat with him about 2 years ago on a forum (may have been WoS) and he was talking about making some new games.

Yeah, I saw that web page. Bizarre in a way I'd never considered manic miner to be bizarre, I must be getting older. I think RG ran an interview where he was considering programming mobile phone games. They're not 'canon' for me, something like (proper) handheld or PC developing on the cheap is where the new, old cutting edge is for me.

Manic Miner's not really that hardcore. It's all pattern based, so every level can be learnt with practice. Failure tends to come from either unfamiliarity, or due to panic on the players behalf. Even the (apparently) hardest levels (Skylab Landing Bay, The Warehouse, Amoebatrons' Revenge) become fairly easy with a little practice.

Some of the mods that have been made are ridiculously difficult though, and consequently not much fun. Not my Manic Miner C.S.S. though. That one's ace. ;)

Manic Miner's not really that hardcore. It's all pattern based, so every level can be learnt with practice. Failure tends to come from either unfamiliarity, or due to panic on the players behalf. Even the (apparently) hardest levels (Skylab Landing Bay, The Warehouse, Amoebatrons' Revenge) become fairly easy with a little practice.

Some of the mods that have been made are ridiculously difficult though, and consequently not much fun. Not my Manic Miner C.S.S. though. That one's ace. ;)

Hardcore is a matter of perspective. Playing a trial and error game with a timer, no passwords or savegames is fairly hardcore. Ok, it's pattern based, as all of us who have played it know but you don't get long to examine the patterns unless you play it time and time again. I doubt I'll play anything to completion that is so unwelcoming again. I loved it back then and I didn't complete that particular game but it was fairly hardcore then and it is even moreso now. There are probably easier highscores on twin galaxies than completing manic miner six times through in one sitting, a la my example earlier. I've always fancied having a crack at Q*Bert...

I enjoyed your post, it's just that my perspective is slightly different. How about that competition?

I think Manic Miner is about as hardcore as it gets. Not many people I know have completed it, and doing all the levels in one go requires a fair level of descipline.

/Saddo

I recently went back to this and finished it on my Speccy, not in one go tho.

Emulator? Pah! :)

When Matthew Smith did his talk at the Broadway Cinema in Nottingham the other year he new mentioned anything about a competition. He said the reason it showed the knife and fish was that you would know those who had the skills to complete the game, as only they would know the final image. (of course, what was to stop every kid in the playground finding it out and boasting they knew what the final image was...)

Hell, I'm only passing on what he said...