rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Meerman

Worst game names ever

Bah, no Mortal Kombat Mythologies and they include James Pond 2- Robocod?

OK Robocod (the title is) is a bit shite but the game was good..

Wasnt it?

Probably been mugged in Memory Lane

so is the subtitle "harmony of dissonance" significantly relevent to any themes explored in that particular castlevania game? Is it anything more than a meaningless, deviantart-like attempt to sound cool and slightly "arty"?

a few of the recent castlevanias had musical names, that's about it really.

symphony of the night, aria of sorrow, uh, lament of innocence?

Bah, no Mortal Kombat Mythologies and they include James Pond 2- Robocod?

OK Robocod (the title is) is a bit shite but the game was good..

Did you actually read what the article was about?

Too bad John and Ste, one of your games has made this list.

(dunno if this has been posted, don't recall it has been, and searching had no results, so ner)

Hopefully we'll be higher up the list in future. To me that list is of the best game titles ever.

Bad ones are the boring bland bollocks with subtitles and colons all over the shop.

• Upvote 1

Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja :lol: More games should be named like this instead of the usual overlong wanky unimaginative colon-extended shite.

Also Um Jammer Lammy is pretty catchy name, DELETE FROM LIST.

Ehr... I know. I've played and S-Ranked all 4. My gf just pointed out the weirdness of the title to me a few weeks ago. It really does sound stupid if you don't know what the Zero stands for.

And Stroker, my gf really did say that. I FUCKING PINKY SWEAR.

I think I shall shortly join him in hanging you from a lampost if you make one more mention of that bloody woman.

saw this list a while back posted on gorilla mask, seriously get sick of fucking lists. I mean it s just some nerd with a website .......

Anyway sticky balls is a great name, at least its not instantly forgetable.......

That the Americans regularly cite "Wargasm" as one of the worst game names of all times is one of those absolutely minor yet compelling pieces of evidence that make me believe videogames are just fucking doomed. Yeah, God help any game which makes a pun - we'd much prefer up to eight colons inserted into a games title at seemingly random intervals.

You faux-serious, humourless fucking smooth-crotched bunch of retards.

This makes me so mad I've become Stuart Campbell.

EDIT: And Zeitgeist? DID ZARATHRUSTA DIE FOR NOTHING!!?!!

KG

11 year old bump!

latest?cb=20170926233411

Before you hit the red I'm sure this is an amazing game but I genuinely had to google the title before I found out that it was the name of a game - it sounds like some kind of MOBA show on Twitch or something, and even if you know what it is... that's still a fairly generic title with a goofy handle slapped on it.

Okay okay... for the sake of balance, here's a game I love with a stupid (import) name - Persona 4: The Ultimax Ultra Suplex Hold :

p4ultimax_yukari_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 6

Monaco Grand Prix: Racing Simulation 2

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Tony Hawk's Project 8

Silpheed

I was going to nominate the Mega Drive game Gynoug as well for being one of those single words that have no English meaning but aren't obviously Japanese either. But its US title is apparently "Wings of Wor", which is even worse...

• Upvote 1

Syphon Filter. I actually loved the games - amongst my favouries on the PS1 - but the name is ridiculous. Sounds like a device to stop you getting too much petrol in your mouth while stealing it.

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Pob said:

Horizon Zero Dawn is probably the worst name for a AAA title in some time. 

I was just about to post the exact same thing. It's the perfect combination of being meaningless, clumsy, and almost completely generic. It's more like a Captcha phrase than the title of a game.

• Upvote 2

Before it's release I could never remember what it was called, and when I saw the name 'Horizon' mentioned I had to think for a few moments about what was being referred to, with Forza Horizon being the first thing that came to mind.

• Upvote 1

Given that the logo is a big Horizon with a small Zero Dawn underneath, I would hazard a guess that the developers wanted to call it Horizon, but that title was either too generic to be trademarked, or already belonged to someone else.

Martin Hollis once said of Perfect Dark and the Criterion FPS Black:

"Game developers just like black, nihilism, dystopian futures, the number zero, infinity, spheres, perfection - all that kind of stuff."

That interview was in 2006, and things haven't much changed...

• Upvote 1

Another vote for the clumsy Horizon Zero Dawn. But I agree with @K – I'm sure I heard somewhere they originally wanted to call it Horizon.

I generally hate everything that comes after a colon in a game name. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening,  Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (and 'Ground Zeroes' is just terrible generally).

I mind it less with things like Zelda, where the main franchise name seems almost irrelevant – I just think of it as Breath of the Wild.