IGNORED

Picnic Food!

SharkEnergy

Best thing I ever took on a picnic was a completely boned whole chicken that was then stuffed with layers of ham and a great savory rice with apricots and stuff, all roasted and then, when chilled, you could just cut it into wonderful slices.

If you fancy something that takes a bit of effort let me know and I'll type out the recipe. It's fun taking out the skelebob of a chicken and leaving it like a whole chicken.

Maybe too short notice though. hmmm..

Even though rain is forecast throughout the North West tomorrow, I'm going for a picnic with a good mate - I'm getting the drinks and doing the driving, she'll be bringing the food. Hopefully her picnic will be up to the usual standard - plenty of tasty little nibbles, various cheeses and breads, pates, dips, salads etc etc.

My stomach's rumbling already, just at the thought!

hell I'm wanting to go on a picnic now.

Feel free to join us!

Best thing I ever took on a picnic was a completely boned whole chicken that was then stuffed with layers of ham and a great savory rice with apricots and stuff, all roasted and then, when chilled, you could just cut it into wonderful slices.

If you fancy something that takes a bit of effort let me know and I'll type out the recipe. It's fun taking out the skelebob of a chicken and leaving it like a whole chicken.

Maybe too short notice though. hmmm..

That sounds gorgoeus, recipe please? :o

My book bones it a bit differently with a cut down the backbone (after cutting off the wings) and then working the flesh away from the bones with a knife, working right round the chicken. Eventually you have an opened boned chicken.. er... like an open laid out overcoat if you know what I mean, which you then stuff and close back up. you have to be careful when you reach that bit where the breast bone touches the skin and there's no flesh in between, as you can make a hole in the skin easily (the 'highest' point of a chicken when you roast in the normal way)

Anyway here's t' recipe...

I chicken

125g butter

1 finely chopped smallish onion

2 small leeks thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic finely chopped

1 large courgette grated

50g long grain rice

50g macadamia or skinned hazelnuts toasted

1 small eating apple

50g well flavoured cheddar

50g raisins ( I think I lied about the apricots, sorry - there arent any)

finely grated zest and juice of a lemon

75g white breadcrumbs

8 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs (e.g. parsley/chives/thyme)

salt and pepper

1 egg

4-6 large thickish slices of ham.

Spread out the boned chicken, flesh up and cover with cling film. Slightly flatten the thickest areas with a rolling pin so it's fairly even all over. Chill while you make the stuffing.

Heat half the butter and start to soften the onion, leeks and garlic for 2-3 mins. Cover tightly and cook gently til the leeks are quite soft. (10mins?) add the courgette and cook for another 2 mins.

While doing that cook the rice in salted water 'til just tender. Drain and rinse with boiling water if necessary.

Mix together the softened vegetables and nuts. Peel the apple and grate into the mix (not the core :):D ) Add the cheese, raisins, zest, jiuce, breadcrumbs and herbs. Season really well. Add enough beaten egg to bind but don't make it too wet.

Lay out the chicken again, flesh up, and spoon on a third of the stuffing down the centre. Lay on 2/3 slices of ham, slightly overlapping to cover the mixture. Repeat with half of the remaining stuffing and more slices of ham, finishing with the remaining stuffing.

Fold the chicken over the stuffing and sew up with fine string to enclose the filling and make a neat shape.

Lie it on a double layer of muslin and roll up the chicken in the muslin, keeping it fairly tight and neat and tie the ends with string.

Put in a roasting tin, smear all over with butter and roast at 180/gas 4 for and hour and a half to three quarters, testing in the usual way (juices clear etc)

Leave to cool, then refigerate overnight. Serve cut into thick slices.

Phew. :o

Wish I could show you the picture - it looks lovely.

:D

It's looks like an adventure but really it's a stuffed roast chicken without the bones. Stuffing recipes always have lots of little ingredients making them look daunting.

Easiest picnic food? Big tupperware box of parmean cheese crisps. Grate parmesan, put spoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake til spread and golden brown, lift off onto cooling rack.

Lacy discs of yumminess.

:ph34r:

It's looks like an adventure but really it's a stuffed roast chicken without the bones. Stuffing recipes always have lots of little ingredients making them look daunting.

Easiest picnic food? Big tupperware box of parmean cheese crisps. Grate parmesan, put spoonfuls onto baking sheet and bake til spread and golden brown, lift off onto cooling rack.

Lacy discs of yumminess.

God you really know how to treat a man don't you. When are you going to cook me dinner?