Sign in to follow this  
Droo

"Never Play With Matches"

What?!

This cartoon kids educational advertisement (which looked like it was from the 80's) just played on ITV.

What kid would be up at this time of night?!

Anyone else just see this?

"Matches matches never touch, they can hurt you very much."

Recently Channel 4 have been showing a lovely old PIF about the dangers of playing around cliffs and beaches or something. The Charley Says PIFs were still being shown in the middle of the night not so very long ago, too.

Edit: In fact, the one that's been on Channel 4 is this one, Jo and Petunia: Coastguard. 1968! Compare and contrast with the modern PIF where the little girl lays dead at the side of the road, or the one with the kid being hit by a car while being filmed on a mobile phone. I bet they won't still be shown some forty years from now.

Compare and contrast with the modern PIF where the little girl lays dead at the side of the road, or the one with the kid being hit by a car while being filmed on a mobile phone. I bet they won't still be shown some forty years from now.

The one with the dead little girl would be... if it was narrated by David Caruso in full on CSI Miami mode.

"If you hit this girl at forty miles per hour... [pauses, cocks head] There's around an eighty percent chance... [dramatic pause, takes off sunglasses] she'll die."

"If you hit this girl at forty miles per hour... [pauses, cocks head] There's around an eighty percent chance... [dramatic pause, takes off sunglasses] she'll die."

:) perfect :(

The problem with those sort of ads here is that they have fuck-all impact. Now if you go over to Ireland, they show proper car crashes with car about to roll over some kid. That's what should be shown here.

The problem with those sort of ads here is that they have fuck-all impact. Now if you go over to Ireland, they show proper car crashes with car about to roll over some kid. That's what should be shown here.

Those ads are great. Some proper fucking impacts. Kids getting mown down. Car getting wrapped around a tree sideways at high speed. And that amazing slo-mo one with a shitload of debris and a girl (who didn't wear her seatbelt) flying around inside a crashing car.

http://www.searchles.com/stuff/tag/irish.drink.driving.ad

That one won an award in the US, though I thought some of the others were more graphic. This one doesn't actually show the impact. Seems to be the only one I can find an online video of.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/norther...and/1132738.stm

Yeah, that's the ad! None of this metaphor rubbish we get here in the UK, with some Gary Wilmott-lookalike at a bar table pretending to knock over some woman who used to be in Coronation St. Still, the seatbelt one (the one where the back-seat passenger hits the person in front) was pretty hard-hitting, but generally they seem to not be many here.

Do you not get those adverts in England? I thought they were shown all over...

Yeah, some are grim. I remember a tame (must have been english one) about the boy-ghost returning to the scene of his death...

rubbish.

And yes, it was the cockroach and the ladybird... at midnight, useful...

No, we didn't get the car-rolling-into-back-garden-crushing-kid one, apparently the kids in the UK wouldn't be able to take the shock, or something pussy like that, hence metaphoric rubbish like the bar-table-running-over-ugly-bint one.

hmm. We've had horrific adverts over here for years... "The cats in the cradle" troubles one was probably one of the worst ever.

Do you not get those adverts in England? I thought they were shown all over...

They are a joint venture between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Yeah, Nick... Something to do with the IRA. I cant remember specifically what it was for though.

Had the pub shooting in it...

all to cats in the cradle, as i said. I cant find it online to show you.

I saw it on Tarrant on TV (when he does his occasional "let's be serious now" bit). It was a really good version of the song and was a very hard-hitting advert, I thought. Must be pretty grim if you kept seeing it.

Yeah, Nick... Something to do with the IRA. I cant remember specifically what it was for though.

Had the pub shooting in it...

all to cats in the cradle, as i said. I cant find it online to show you.

It was for the CrimeStoppers hotline. When they showed it on Tarrant he said that the amount of calls they received went through the roof when it was shown. Can't find it online either though, which is a great shame.

No, we didn't get the car-rolling-into-back-garden-crushing-kid one, apparently the kids in the UK wouldn't be able to take the shock, or something pussy like that, hence metaphoric rubbish like the bar-table-running-over-ugly-bint one.

I think psychological studies have shown that the really hard-hitting adverts aren't as effective as 'softer' ones, because the audience is more likely to think 'that'll never happen'. Like, if you did anti-smoking adverts with people who have holes in their throat, barely anyone would pay attention; they'd be more likely to notice if it made light of trivial things like hairy tongues, or something.