rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lothar Hex

How many people here don't read gaming magazines?

I haven't picked up a gaming magazine in months. I sued to get the official Xbox one whenever they had a demo but I barely read the actual magazine itself as the quality of the writing literally hurt my eyes.

I gave up on Edge and GamesTM because the former was so up it's own arse I could feel the tissue paper that had got lodged up there, while the other was trying it's hardest to be like Edge while trying to convince themselves they were better.

Their reviews as well started annoying me. It seems that they go out of their way to review them without actually telling you what you do in it or what it's about.

I prefer to look at websites now, mainly because they're free for either clearer reviews or the same sort of oens, but with more up-to-date news. I mean there's little point in buying most magazines for news since it's all on the internet for free within an hour now anyway.

I buy magazines cuz they are easy to read on the loo or in the bath, no amount of instant internet news can replace a nicely designed and printed magazine, easier on the eyes as too.

Writing is often better as well, probably cuz it's going into a monthly mag as opposed to churning our reams of text every day for a website. The best thing the internet has to offer over printed mags is the ability to show the games in motion.

I never buy them. I'd rather read them instore or just get info/reviews from people on Rllmuk who I know and give more accurate reviews than 'some guy at a magazine'

Me. This forum is pretty much my only source of info for games news.

Same here, in fact I don't really buy any magazines any more except for Sight and Sound occasionally. Most of them seemed like a rip-off when I was younger and bought a lot of them, never mind now when they're even more expensive and the majority of their information is available online sooner, costing nothing.

Stopped altogether about six months ago, I used to very occasionally read P.C Gamer but much of the news I had already read on the internet, and the reviews weren't so good I'd pay £5 just for the magazine and CDs/DVDs I'd never use due to a capable broadband connection.

Once again people baffle me with their ability/desire to spend more than five minutes on the toilet, however that's another discussion entirely.

Once again people baffle me with their ability/desire to spend more than five minutes on the toilet, however that's another discussion entirely.

You dont actually have to read the entire mag in 1 sitting (or shitting) 5 mins is fine for a few articles then you just chuck it on the floor for your next visit.

I subscribe to PC Gamer, the Official Nintendo mag and Edge and pick GamesTM off the shelf every month. I like having a magazine to flick through and read on the bus commute each day.

It's a handy package, a magazine. There can be too much on the Internet, with huge amounts of information meaning some things can get lost. Magazines highlight areas of interest, as much as anything else, as well as having interesting reviews and articles.

I thoroughly enjoy PC Gamer. I think there's a very high standard of writing and a good range of different articles. Nice retrospectives and things about gaming culture. If it wasn't about the PC, it would be perfect.

Edge can really get on my tits at times, but I generally enjoy it. I wouldn't use it as my only source of info - often because it doesn't actually contain a lot of the basic information I want to know about a game - but I like the different perspective it offers.

The Official Nintendo mag I subscribed to to get Pikmin 2, but I've not cancelled. It looks nice and it's an easy read and it has good gifts with it. I'm not in love with it, but it's good. And I've even felt it's been marking too harshly, which is rare for an official mag.

GamesTM I generally don't enjoy too much. I enjoy seeing what they have to say, but there seems to be a bland house style that makes it a chore to read for me.

Whenever I pick up any of the other gaming mags they make my skin scrawl because they seem to consist of two things -

1) "Isn't [RIVAL SYSTEM] shit, ha ha!"

2) "Hey, guys! Birds, eh? Can't live with them, but they've got tits! Fnarr!"

Though maybe I've been unlucky.

I stopped reading gaming magazines months ago. However I still subscribe to Edge. Therefore I have a pile of unread magazines in my bed room.

Mmmm might be time to stop...

Ironically my DS time is getting in the way. Train? DS. Poo? DS.

I sued to get the official Xbox one...

There are cheaper ways than getting lawyers involved you know...

I still get Edge and the new Official Nintendo Mag (I must remember to cancel now I got Donkey Konga 2). May try my luck with Ngamer if it proves as entertaining as its predecessors. I really wish they wouldn't have loads of covermounts though - I buy the mags for the quality of the writing and the variety of content; I don't need 'free' demos or anything else.

Whenever I pick up any of the other gaming mags they make my skin scrawl because they seem to consist of two things -

1) "Isn't [RIVAL SYSTEM] shit, ha ha!"

2) "Hey, guys! Birds, eh? Can't live with them, but they've got tits! Fnarr!"

Though maybe I've been unlucky.

Seems pretty accurate to me. I blame playstation :) (Logically, the mags started targeting the older audience and got bitchier and talked about tits - even official mags)

I think I'm going to end my subscription to Edge for the reason that gets mentioned the most. I listened to a podcast, not sure which it was possibly RadiOPM but anyway they talked so excitedly about this game called God Hand that I had to check it out. Then h next I noticed there was a preview in Edge and decided to check it out. They managed to suck all the fun and energy out of the game in the most boring text ever.

I've found myself just giving up half way through double page previews or reviews because they're so dull. The features are great but not enough.

I'll still pick up the occasional mag when there's something interesting in it but yeah this forum or online websites are a far better place to get info on games these days.

Almost all the current mags have so much baggage and agendas theyre almost unpalatable.

Theyre funded by advertisers, coming down from the Playstation boom, desperate to keep publishers happy, unable to print anything vaguely controversial, creatively stagnant, pandering to an undemanding twentysomething disposable income market that only wants covermounts and to hear how great their latest 40 quid fifa franchise is..

so erm no i dont buy them

This thread = Future is fucked.

Sales for magazines like Edge are very good though

Remember Rllmukians are hardcore gamers and hardcore gamers represent a small amount of the market and don't tend to influence general trends

I still really like Edge and Retro Gamer but don't buy them so much mainly due to being skint

I think when the new machines come to the market people here who aren't buying mags will return to the fold

The Official ones will have a lot of pull for the demos of PS3 and 360 games (when the 360 starts getting some decent games)

Especially considering the cost of PS3 & 360 games

I used to read Edge, grab GamesTM regularly and picked up OPM2 if there were interesting demo's on it.

These days I buy no gaming magazines at all. Edge isn't a good read anymore, the news is outdated and the reviews are too narrowminded. Besides, I rather use Metacritic to get a broad view of various publications on a title instead of a single reviewer's opinion. Apart from that, on this forum I can read many people's opinions on various games which is far more valuable to me. And for news the various websites and this forum are much better and faster sources.

Also the quality of the editorials in both Edge and GamesTM leaves a lot to be desired. It just happens not often enough that there's an article in there that's interesting or surprising. And demo's for my 360 I can download from marketplace.

So no, no magazines for me, it saves me a lot of money I'd rather spend on games, booze and whores.

i pretty much lost faith in edge since the redesign - not just because of how it looks [which i hate], but the change in writing style, features, columnists etc. i haven't even considered reading any of the other magazines out there, because i'm a ponce.

every few months or so i buy an issue of edge if it has a couple of articles i'm interested in, but i always end up wishing i didn't bother.

[not having much money to throw around these days probably changes things a little, too]

Sales for magazines like Edge are very good though

Remember Rllmukians are hardcore gamers and hardcore gamers represent a small amount of the market and don't tend to influence general trends

I still really like Edge and Retro Gamer but don't buy them so much mainly due to being skint

I think when the new machines come to the market people here who aren't buying mags will return to the fold

The Official ones will have a lot of pull for the demos of PS3 and 360 games (when the 360 starts getting some decent games)

Especially considering the cost of PS3 & 360 games

Surely with demos being available online more and more people won't need magazines for these. What will become apparent soon is that without demos there is bugger all reason to buy some of these mags and they will fade and die. Magazines like Edge could actually do well out of this though.

Edge and GamesTM get bought, but I tend to pick at them and just read bits that interest me.

I subscribe to Retro Gamer, as its not so review based.

Can't imagine giving them up, I need something to fill my tea breaks.