IGNORED

An idea about weekend topics

McBacon

We seem to be losing the "Bootsale Booty" and "Check these bargains" threads, maybe because people don't feel their finds are good enough to start a topic, or don't feel its there place, I'm not sure!

To be fair it was only last weekend that there was a delay in anyone creating a booty thread, they have generally been quite consistent since the start of the booting season. Given that this is my first booting season posting on rllmuk, I wouldn't know how numerous and popular such threads have been in the past, and judging by your post count neither would you.

Theres no doubt there are alot of booting members that do not post any of their finds but read these threads. 213 is entirely right when he says that posting about car boot finds just opens up the market to more and more people. After all, It was only after reading on this forum before evantually joining that I decided to go to car boots.

I am sure there are many more who do exactly the same; given that the amount of goods on offer are finite and would not tangibly increase with the number of buyers looking for games, theres a pretty strong case for keeping these things quiet :D

I couldn't be arsed this week, but I've always thought it might be better just to have one thread that people stick all the posts in. Easier to look back through too...

I'm going to treat this as ATF as well...

I'm probably going to sell at a bootsale next Sunday and I'll have a few gaming things - through choice would you rather things have price stickers on them or not?

And how much would you sell a MD1, Master System 2 and N64 for? I think that's all I've got. At least a couple of games, although nothing rare and all cables and definitely all tested and working. £10, £10, £15? Anyone know how much Gamestation give?

my local GS are offering 2 to 4 of your english pounds, for that sort of hardware.

stick them in the trraaaaading foldeeeer! :D

(depending on the games you could get upto £15 for the N64 and some stuff here)

You just have to look its all there...

Not in the sticks

(ie South Wales)

Want a playstation? Sure i can pick up 20 a week. Megadrive? Ditto

But ANYTHING remotely unsual? FORGET IT

For example in 10 years of booting I've seen maybe 3 3DO's, 6 jaguar's, 1 Virtual boy, 2 Lynx's about 4 megacd's and 1 msx

Never seen a 32x, neo geo or pc engine in any shape or form

Not in the sticks

(ie South Wales)

Want a playstation? Sure i can pick up 20 a week. Megadrive? Ditto

But ANYTHING remotely unsual? FORGET IT

For example in 10 years of booting I've seen maybe 3 3DO's, 6 jaguar's, 1 Virtual boy, 2 Lynx's about 4 megacd's and 1 msx

Never seen a 32x, neo geo or pc engine in any shape or form

That sounds awful :D

I got myself a nice Vectrex last month, but I didn't keep it because I wanted a boxed one :D so I traded it (to a good home) and will continue the search this year...

That sounds awful :(

I got myself a nice Vectrex last month, but I didn't keep it because I wanted a boxed one :D so I traded it (to a good home) and will continue the search this year...

Oh forgot about the vectrex. The last and only 1 of 2 i've ever seen was almost 4 years ago. My area is a wasteland really for videogames. Nothing but PS1's and piles of Fifa games everyweek. :D

SNES's / Nes's are also a rarity. And i average 5-6 biggish boots in the summer a week

I'm probably going to sell at a bootsale next Sunday and I'll have a few gaming things - through choice would you rather things have price stickers on them or not?

When I have sold things I put price stickers on them, but mainly so that the people I was selling with knew what I wanted for them when I went for a look around.

And how much would you sell a MD1, Master System 2 and N64 for? I think that's all I've got. At least a couple of games, although nothing rare and all cables and definitely all tested and working. £10, £10, £15? Anyone know how much Gamestation give?

I think you would be lucky to get those prices from my experience, although your area might be different to mine. No trader will touch them at that price, which is perhaps a good thing, but you might get a gamer who would be prepared to spend that much.

But you have to ask yourself, would you pay that much for them at a boot sale? I wouldn't and i've never spent more than £5-10 on a compatable setup to what you have....

Do you record collector types mind me asking how you conduct your bargain hunting?

The reason I ask is that I have to put up with this right wanker once or twice a month. His policy on booting is to annoy everyone - the only word he says is "records", no hello, hi, how are you etc etc. Then to top it off, if the seller has no records he doesn't say thanks etc - oh no this arsehole walks off moaning and tutting - I just hope I'm there to see the day when he gets twatted, it won't be long...

He hasn't worked out its his attitude that is stopping him from actually buying anything, as most sellers he askes that say no, clearly have records - he is that thick...

CBSK

That sounds awful :(

I got myself a nice Vectrex last month, but I didn't keep it because I wanted a boxed one ;) so I traded it (to a good home) and will continue the search this year...

...couldnt you just keep the unboxed Vectrex until you found a new boxed one ;)

Do you record collector types mind me asking how you conduct your bargain hunting?

The reason I ask is that I have to put up with this right wanker once or twice a month. His policy on booting is to annoy everyone - the only word he says is "records", no hello, hi, how are you etc etc. Then to top it off, if the seller has no records he doesn't say thanks etc - oh no this arsehole walks off moaning and tutting - I just hope I'm there to see the day when he gets twatted, it won't be long...

He hasn't worked out its his attitude that is stopping him from actually buying anything, as most sellers he askes that say no, clearly have records - he is that thick...

CBSK

prehaps hes related to pikey dad?

CBSK

There's a few of those round my area. There are at least 10-15 vinyl hunters operating at the boots i go to. They can't get to them fast enough.

There are 2 particular blokes who everyone hates (The pro dealers, ebayers / regulars like me and casuals) who will stop at nothing to get to things. I've seen them open peoples doors as tehy pull up, tear stuff out of tehri boots, ripping open boxes, tossing things on floor and walking away, etc. Fucking scum who ruin it for everyone. One got a bollocking from one of the car boot organisers last week though. It was funny as hell walking this bloke being screamed at for going in peoples cars ;)

We have people like that here, too.

'Mobile phones? Games? DVDs?'

If it's a 'no' they'll just move to straight to the next car without so much as a thank you.

If it's a yes it can be even worse. Holding stuff up to show, for example PS2 games, their mate who is going through the next car and seems to be the PS2 eBay expert;

'Worth anything?'

'Nah, crap'

'Worth anything?'

'Worth getting'

etc etc

All this infront of the bemused seller!

There's a few of those round my area. There are at least 10-15 vinyl hunters operating at the boots i go to. They can't get to them fast enough.

There are 2 particular blokes who everyone hates (The pro dealers, ebayers / regulars like me and casuals) who will stop at nothing to get to things. I've seen them open peoples doors as tehy pull up, tear stuff out of tehri boots, ripping open boxes, tossing things on floor and walking away, etc. Fucking scum who ruin it for everyone. One got a bollocking from one of the car boot organisers last week though. It was funny as hell walking this bloke being screamed at for going in peoples cars ;)

If that was my car they'd get kicked firmly in the cunt.

But you have to ask yourself, would you pay that much for them at a boot sale? I wouldn't and i've never spent more than £5-10 on a compatable setup to what you have....

It's a very friendly bootsale at a school that I should think people will recognise me at from buying stuff so I think my assurance that they're fully tested and working with all cables will be worth a little extra for someone who wants to play them. And they'll be good games, just not rare ones for the most part.

Anyone who looks like they're going to play it (especially any kids) will probably find me quite easy to barter with. I need the space as much as the money so they'll be gone by the end of Sunday morning for certain pretty much.

Recently i've asked people politely if they have any LP's for sale; if they say no I say 'no problem thanks anyway' or a simple 'thank you' to make sure I acknoledge them. If they say yes I ask if I would be able to have a look through when they had gotten round to unpacking them. That bloke you mention is ignorant and rude, theres no excuse for behaviour like that and I would be appalled if I came across someone like that.

I'm thinking of just going back to hanging around and looking for things when they are unpacked, which has, in my short experience of booting, been more successful. My Metallica LP I found on sunday wasn't found by turning up at 6.00am and asking people as they unpacked, it was bought at 10.00am after the traders had all left as has other goodies I have found.

CBSK

Record collectores, partcularly those deep into middle age with a fetish for anything from the 60s or 70s, are a notorious bunch of wankers. They're usually bordering on mentally ill and would sacrifice anything, including their own dignity and respect for those around them for that rare merseybeat 7" they've been after.

The wonderful irony is that for all their wankerish behaviour, I always get far better stuff by just wandering around dipping into boxes than they do hanging around the same car pestering someone to get the records out their boot.

The wonderful irony is that for all their wankerish behaviour, I always get far better stuff by just wandering around dipping into boxes than they do hanging around the same car pestering someone to get the records out their boot.

This

But with other stuff.

It amazes me sometimes the things that get left behind. In my area particularly the main focus of dealers seems to be PS1/PS2 and records. I've picked up some expensive stuff in recent weeks that the dealers have ignored (for my own profit making purposes or otherwise).

For example

Portable OHP - £8 - Worth £65+

Sky Plus box - £25 - Sold for £100

Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ base unit - £20 - Sold for £110

Box containing 2 DELL 15" LCD Monitors and a conference phone - £10 :D - Sold for £200 :)

Huge (And i mean HUGE!!) old Sony LCD projector - £5 (a keeper perhaps)

Meanwhile i see them scappling for the same shit everyweek as i stroll on by with armfuls of gear :)

I experienced a really funny incident with a music guy on Sunday. It was latish on at the boot and a car had just pulled up. An oldish guy says to the seller "got any music?" to which the guy replys "some cd's" and before he gets them out the guy is asking "how much" to which the guy replys "£1".

When the cds are on the table the guy litterally dives in. There's some really nice stuff in there and I pick out one cd to look at. On this the guy sweeps pretty much the whole lot into his arms before I could look at any more. After a few seconds he puts a few down and then starts bartering with the seller.

The seller was completely agast. The cds were £1 each and there were some early now albums in there amoung other nice sell-on stuff and the guy still wants a discount. He eventually gave him a buy 4 get 5th free deal just to get rid of him so that he could carry on unpacking.

I laughed and walked off.

I think the reason a lot of stuff is missed by the traders is that they race around at breakneck speeds trying to beat everyone else.

Quite often you see them asking people if they have any Playstation stuff, the seller thinks and then says no, and they're already onto the next stall. Meanwhile the seller is plonking a boxed SNES and 20 games on an old rug under the table! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Local paper mate, try to identify the ones at the schools and the like where kids will go to flog their games, the one offs that won't be the same old crap each week.

It's a learning curve you need to learn self reliance and the instinct to resolve issues and answer questions by your own initiative to suceed at the booting game.

It's a learning curve you need to learn self reliance and the instinct to resolve issues and answer questions by your own initiative to suceed at the booting game.

Is that an extract from your new book? "The key to car booting" by 213

Is that an extract from your new book? "The key to car booting" by 213

I think there's plenty out there already to be honest mate, besides I can talk, I'm walking around my local ones in a daze and not caring.....

Still it's been lovely not having to see pikey Dad as I've just gone elsewhere and he can't afford to hit more than one sale without setting up and selling on.