rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bushtopher

The Settlers - DS

I like it, but I must admit I feel spoilt by Settlers 3 now.

I also personally like it in spite of the conversion, which is horrendous. It takes forever to load a saved game, it takes forever to save a saved game, the UI feels slow and unresponsive, it's pretty buggy and they've provided very few missions, instead concentrating on having unnecessary FMV at the beginning.

The lack of multiplayer is just another example of taking the piss. This has been in development for almost a year - but you wouldn't know it.

The saving grace is that Settlers is such a fabulous game.

Now maybe some companies could pull their finger out and release some of their classic IP and make it decent - like Starcraft, C&C, UFO:Enemy Unknown, Civ etc. A lot of these would work fine in split screen mode with a bit of imagination.

I bought this and I'm really enjoying it, but came across a bug that made me restart a mission.

I was all gearing up for a final push against the Nubians, but all of a sudden I got told "no attack possible!". Checking my military buildings, every single one only had one soldier in. No problem, I thought, and made sure that my entire supply of gold coins, swords, shields and beer was going the the storehouse nearest the Nubian border. Nothing happened - no new soldiers. I monitored the supply levels, and saw that although the swords, shields and beer were going down by one apiece regularly, no soldiers were actually being recruited. I even demolished some military I didn't really need by my other borders (losing some farmland in the process). The soldiers in those buildings marched merrily to the nearest storehouse, never to be seen again!

Just a tad irritating.

I had a bug occur whereby I couldn't build any more, despite having a warehouse full of stock.

I never played again after that. Much as I love the Settlers, I haven't got time to waste on games that are bugged. :unsure:

I bought this and I'm really enjoying it, but came across a bug that made me restart a mission.

I was all gearing up for a final push against the Nubians, but all of a sudden I got told "no attack possible!". Checking my military buildings, every single one only had one soldier in. No problem, I thought, and made sure that my entire supply of gold coins, swords, shields and beer was going the the storehouse nearest the Nubian border. Nothing happened - no new soldiers. I monitored the supply levels, and saw that although the swords, shields and beer were going down by one apiece regularly, no soldiers were actually being recruited. I even demolished some military I didn't really need by my other borders (losing some farmland in the process). The soldiers in those buildings marched merrily to the nearest storehouse, never to be seen again!

Just a tad irritating.

It might not have been a bug, did you check or fiddle with the military settings at all ? how many soldiers are posted in your buildings etc.

I had a bug once that made the zoom button invisible so I had to play zoomed in all the time :unsure:.

I've not played this as much as I was expecting to, but I think thats down to the slow down and the zooming. I could play the PC version for days and days.

No, I hadn't messed with military settings until I couldn't make any more soldiers. At that point, I did. Made sure that 'defenders' was set to the lowest I could set it, that the number of soldiers stationed in buildings far away and medium distance from the front lines was set to lowest, that number of soldiers deployed near the borders was set to highest. Made sure that there was no-one defending my capital...

Went online to make sure there was no upper limit to the number of soldiers, too. Trawled through a bunch of FAQs and walkthroughs.

Tried so many different things it felt like I was still at work, actually. I kept expecting to start typing up repro steps in TTP.

No, I hadn't messed with military settings until I couldn't make any more soldiers. At that point, I did. Made sure that 'defenders' was set to the lowest I could set it, that the number of soldiers stationed in buildings far away and medium distance from the front lines was set to lowest, that number of soldiers deployed near the borders was set to highest. Made sure that there was no-one defending my capital...

Went online to make sure there was no upper limit to the number of soldiers, too. Trawled through a bunch of FAQs and walkthroughs.

Tried so many different things it felt like I was still at work, actually. I kept expecting to start typing up repro steps in TTP.

I assume by changing the defenders you mean you went to the last page on each storehouse and set the defenders to zero.

Bizarre bug. It certainly seems to be a pretty lousy port.

1/10 from Eurogamer!

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=81474

I suppose that's what happens when you release bugged games.

Seems a bit harsh, I rather enjoyed it so far.... admittedly it isn't brilliant but a 1 is a bit over the top. They gave worms ds 5/10 and I found that completely unplayable in terms of bugs. And an even worse conversion, hey-ho, each to their own.

Settlers II is a great game. A classic. This version isn't. It's a travesty, and one that should never have been released. Without the fatal bugs it'd be a disappointing put passable conversion

I've been playing settlers II on the PC again after being disappointed by the DS version and it still plays fantastically well. The DS version could have been amazing but it really does feel rushed like they tried to cash in on the DS's popularity.

1/10 you could consider a bit low for a game thats almost an exact copy of the same version they say is classic. But ultimately they are right, it just doesn't work does it. I suspect its taken them so long because it had so many bugs and problems with a straight port. They should have took the settlers core gameplay and ideas and revamped them like they did with the 10th anniversary version.

I think Bluebyte released some games back then that would work great on the DS, I just hope they put more effort into developing them for the DS and not just porting them for cash.

Arg! I just bought this last night!

Don't feel bad. It's swallowed many mornings.

I'm working my way slowly through the missions and the crashes aren't frequent enough to bring disaster.

I'm just annoyed because I feel it could have been better.

Don't feel bad. It's swallowed many mornings.

That is crying out for a "Your Mum" joke. Answers on a postcard....

I'm working my way slowly through the missions and the crashes aren't frequent enough to bring disaster.

I'm not sure I'm willing to forgive a game that has "crashes which aren't frequent enough to bring disaster".

I'm just annoyed because I feel it could have been better.

Like shipping without crash bugs? It sounds pretty shocking to me.

Like shipping without crash bugs? It sounds pretty shocking to me.

I'm a huge fan of the series, so I have enjoyed it. I'm still pissed off it's so buggy, but it is playable despite its flaws.

I'm not excusing Ubisoft in this at all.

Same here. I've been playing Settlers since the Amiga days (I think?) and believe that Settlers II was the peak of the series. All the subsequent releases I've tried out have been total arse.

The DS version of the Settlers could have been every bit as good, if not better, than Anno 1701. However, by the sound of it, it's been rushed out and totally arsed up. The disaster of the first Worms release on DS was bad enough, but this, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, and probably others, is showing how good brand name licenses are being stuffed up just to cash in on the DS's popularity.

I say we protest outside Downing Street... or at least in our living rooms.