rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
PopeSmokesDope

Company of Heroes

The skirmish mode is really hard. Just on that same map I've only won once and have started over about 15-20 times, but I keep trying it. I'm sure I just suck at it, but it's still just as fun! It's excellent using destroyed vehicles as cover and using weak infantry as scavengers - taking over incapacitated guns, flipping them around and destroying tanks until you can build your own.

how impenetrable is it for someone who sucks at RTS's?

I'm glad it's not just me who absolutely sucks at rts's. I've been playing the demo of this on the easiest setting and I'm still struggling

It's good though because you have loads of options you can try with every unit, and it makes you think more about how to use them in combination with others and stuff, rather than just selecting 100 men/tanks/etc together and getting them all to attack one unit, then move onto the next. The AI seems pretty clever so it's fun trying to outsmart them instead of just having 50 more tanks and winning in numbers by default.

No doubt i'll hate it. :D

Doubtfull.....

You're into your films, you get to blow shit up and make your own Saving Private Ryan.

With regards to TA, its better, much much better!

It's not as hard as people make out.

In fact, it's probably seasoned RTS'rs that have the problems as you have to think a little differently.

Instead of just zerging the enemy you ave to think about the direction you'll come from, who you will use and what abilities to use.

The same goes with defence, instead of the map being a flat jpeg where the enemy can shoot overr rocks, if you can see it you can pretty much hide behind it.

The AI seems pretty clever so it's fun trying to outsmart them instead of just having 50 more tanks and winning in numbers by default.

Yup, the low population cap also stops this to some extent.

The AI is pretty ace though!

My copy from Game just arrived. It really is a stupidly generous package.

Company of Heroes is included, of course, and comes in a DVD case with printed manual and other little bits of paper. (The Game version is an exclusive limited edition, but the extra goodies aren't that great. Interesting, but not worth paying over the odds for.)

Dawn of War GOTY edition is there, also in its own DVD case, with printed manual and Winter Assault "art book". (Comes on three CDs instead of a DVD, but it seems churlish to complain.)

Hopefully sometime tomorrow or Saturday I might even be able to install and play the game.

My copy from Game just arrived. It really is a stupidly generous package.

Company of Heroes is included, of course, and comes in a DVD case with printed manual and other little bits of paper. (The Game version is an exclusive limited edition, but the extra goodies aren't that great. Interesting, but not worth paying over the odds for.)

Dawn of War GOTY edition is there, also in its own DVD case, with printed manual and Winter Assault "art book". (Comes on three CDs instead of a DVD, but it seems churlish to complain.)

Hopefully sometime tomorrow or Saturday I might even be able to install and play the game.

Isn't it? Dawn of War GOTY edition took me completely by surprise. Very generous. I'd only borrowed the game, too. Nice to have my own copy now.

As for CoH, I've only completed the tutorials, but I'm loving the feel of the engine and the game mechanics. I'll crack the campaign open after some dinner.

Really liking the population cap in this, it really makes you think about what units you're going to need, and completely eliminates the tank rush mentality of older RTS's.

It's amazing the way that I never become complacent when replaying a level like Carantane, you know the sequence of scripted events, the rough ammount of enemy forces, yet there's still that thrill when you're left with just a handful of men and one, battered AA crew defending the Church as the timer clicks down the last two minutes near the end.

I'm going through the game on hard and it's forcing me to think carefully about exercising special abilities, before I would just hammer the AP shell button whenever my AA gun sighted a tank, now I find myself reserving it for dire situations. Resource points become vital rather than a lazy 'catch em all' consideration which they were before.

I also love the personality it lends your units, as Kieron mentioned in his review when he said that an MG implacement would open up on a tank out of sheer desperation. I had a squad of paras garrisoned in a house as an advance lookout, they mowed down a few approaching squads then, as a tank rumbled into view, one of them cried 'Use your rifles, we can distract it if nothing else!', that made me want to pull them out and get them better equipped, it was the first time I've heard a unit in an RTS game show a measure of, well, gallantry.

Anyone any idea on how this would play on an intel imac booted in XP. Its a 20inch 2.0ghz core duo with 1 gig ram and a RadeonX1600.

Sounds like my ideal game.

Cheers.

What spec does this require? The demo is taking ages to download so if anyone could give me an idea of what it runs like I'd be grateful :)

Judging by the screenshots, my 300XP, 1GB and 6600GT won't go anywhere near it :)

What spec does this require? The demo is taking ages to download so if anyone could give me an idea of what it runs like I'd be grateful :)

Judging by the screenshots, my 300XP, 1GB and 6600GT won't go anywhere near it :)

I think you'll be ok if you turn some of the detail down. I'm using a 6800gt and it looks just lovely on medium settings. It's definitely worth a try anyway, its an ace game.

I love my MG42!!

this is feckin marvelous, it's the weapons , and I never tire of seeing the bodies fly after a well placed grenade.

3 missons in and can't stop!

Absolutely fucking awesome game. Been playing it all afternoon. It;s games like this that me remind me why the PC is such a worthwhile investment to go alongside my consoles.

It's like Dawn of War, but with added tactics, and in WW2 - And the sound is utterly fantastic..

"IM A LITTLE FUCKING BUSY HERE" whilst ordering a squad to attack a gun emplament whilst being flanked and shot to shit by another germen squad

"GET A FUCKING GRENADE IN THERE!"

I love the tactical approach - you can be completely out numbered, send a small squad in their central field of view and put them in cover to draw fire, then flank them with another squad and blow them to smithereeens with grenades and satchel charges - It really rewards intelligent play.

Should be fine, download the demo and have a look?

I haven't yet got round to dual boot xp. But this could be the reason why I do. Just need confirmation that it would run ok. I haven't played a PC game for years and have no understanding of specs ,graphics cards etc.

Its a bit of a steep setup buying XP to test it.

It wil run fine, similar spec to me.

What's the demo like?

I might get it to tide me over until a get some scrilla to pay for the full ting.