L.A Noire

Lippel

Online Prices

Bestbuy.co.uk - £29.99

Currently out of stock as of 23:20 19th May.

Play.com (Price - £39.69)

Exclusive Pre-Order Bonus "A Slip Of The Tongue" Case & Soundtrack Download

HMV.com (Price 34.99)

Machine Gun - The Chicago Piano

Amazon.co.uk (Price 34.99)

"The Broderick" Detective Suit DLC, boosting your fist-fighting capabilities and resilience to damage.

Gamestation.co.uk (Price 39.99)

"The Naked City" DLC

Game.co.uk (Price without DLC 37.99, Price with DLC 39.99)

"The Naked City" DLC

Zavvi.com (Price £36.85)

The Sharpshooter - Detective Suit enhances your aim with rifles and pistols.

Supermarket Prices

Asda: £34.97

Morrisons: £34.99

Sainsburys: £36.99

Tesco: £25, when bought with any other 360/PS3 game from the top 20

From Cheapassgamer

I just got one star on my second case working for the first desk. Was totally chewed out by my boss. :lol:

Apparently I was harrassing witnesses and causing muchos damage. To be fair, I did smash into a number of cars on the way to a couple of street crimes. But I didn't mean to harrass witnesses - I thought I had the evidence, and they looked shifty.

Will be an interesting case to replay later.

I'm really enjoying this although I'm struggling with questioning people. In a case I've just done I knew fine well the wife knew her husband was having an affair but when I selected "Doubt" my character started accusing her of fucking murder. The dipshit.

I'm having this problem too - have to remember that some discrepancy or problem with one piece of evidence should not always lead to an accusation or even suggestion of murder.

Here to report that so far my 360 (oldish replacement unit) has not so far blown up or frozen.

I did experience a glitch with the case in which you prove your onions as a beat cop

I found the bun and bullets and went off to have a word with the man in the gun shop. Was referred on to the perp who did a runner when apprended. Lost track of him and got bounced back into the scene in front of the shoe store. Then there was a weird loop where discordant music played, my partner told me to speak to the witness before the detectives arrived but she could not be interacted with. I ran down the street and eventually triggered a mashed up cut scene full of clipping where my partner was talking to her in the shop. I got out of the loop by restarting the case and playing it the way it was intended - by talking to the woman in the shop first. If that had failed I could have got the perp's name by going to the gun shop, so the pathways exist, it just couldn't cope with failing a chase midway through.

Are people playing with the hints turned off?

Anyone used intuition points yet? Ask the community for example?

The listed cast is incredible - 250 plus I estimate. However, they do not seem to be listed in any sensible way - either in classic "order of appearance" or in alphabetical order of either the character or the cast member. Very unhelpful.

A very interesting title, as expected, NOT an action game or GTA clone, and with some clunkiness which seems to come with the territory.

I have used 'ask the community' once. It display percentages at each of the three answers. Usually the highest number is the correct answer.

edit: make sure to use the Intuition points, they do not stack above 5. As far as I know there is no penalty for using them.

I initially started the game with rumble/chime turned off but turned it back on after seeing how small the bullet cases appeared on my screen. Playing with no hints basically means mashing A next to every object and wall within the crime scene to see what you can interact with.

I'm having this problem too - have to remember that some discrepancy or problem with one piece of evidence should not always lead to an accusation or even suggestion of murder.

Here to report that so far my 360 (oldish replacement unit) has not so far blown up or frozen.

I did experience a glitch with the case in which you prove your onions as a beat cop

I found the bun and bullets and went off to have a word with the man in the gun shop. Was referred on to the perp who did a runner when apprended. Lost track of him and got bounced back into the scene in front of the shoe store. Then there was a weird loop where discordant music played, my partner told me to speak to the witness before the detectives arrived but she could not be interacted with. I ran down the street and eventually triggered a mashed up cut scene full of clipping where my partner was talking to her in the shop. I got out of the loop by restarting the case and playing it the way it was intended - by talking to the woman in the shop first. If that had failed I could have got the perp's name by going to the gun shop, so the pathways exist, it just couldn't cope with failing a chase midway through.

Are people playing with the hints turned off?

Anyone used intuition points yet? Ask the community for example?

The listed cast is incredible - 250 plus I estimate. However, they do not seem to be listed in any sensible way - either in classic "order of appearance" or in alphabetical order of either the character or the cast member. Very unhelpful.

A very interesting title, as expected, NOT an action game or GTA clone, and with some clunkiness which seems to come with the territory.

That's very interesting re your spoiler, as I didn't go to:

the gun shop at all in that case. It was kinda next on my list but as it turned out, another line of enquiry got my suspect into the police station.

One thing that threw me on the case I fucked up was the advice in the mission report afterwards, which said that I should have returned to a former location and then I would have found out more stuff. I didn't even think of that, as that particular location was crossed off in my notebook. So maybe it's worth revisiting witnesses when you have further evidence. Either that or the location option should un-underline itself! Or maybe the case report fucked up. Hmmm. This is all in the second case on the homicide desk, btw. The hit-and-run.

There's really nothing to do in the open world in terms of incidental stuff you can get involved in or places you can explore, but I still find myself driving manually to each location anyway, just to soak up the feeling of being there (allowing your partner to drive will fast-travel you to a destination). I did the same thing with Red Dead, never fast-travelled anywhere.

It's a bit clunky in the way all these things are, and visual compromises in the environment have been made to account for the detail in the characters, but you really have to look for them. In the end - much like Red Dead - I've got another meaty game set in one of my favourite literary/cinematic genres. A game I just get pleasure out of interacting with. Perhaps this makes me go a little easier on its flaws but it's not often I get a game I truly enjoy playing. In that regard it's completely met my hopes and expectations.

hey guys thought id give a quick review of the game from what ive played so far

Been playing my way through LA NOIRE and im really finding it hard to keep playing it Starting off with the + it does look great and really captures post war LA. The much touted Face captureing again really works well something that im looking forward to seeing in the next GTA when its a little more refined. But the game itself is a real mess. If your expecting a GTA / RDR game then your going to be very very disapointed. If your expecting a game that your going to have to use your brain as to how to solve crimes then your going to be very disapointed!

basically the game is mash of GTA (the open world aspect rather than story and action) Heavy Rain (Hevaily scripted scenes) and a point and click adventure game from way back in the day. Each Case follows the exact same process. you start off in the police station, you get your orders, you visit the crime scene, look about for clues which tell you were to go next - you go to th enext place find more clues that tell you were to go next etc.. until teh case is complete. The big problem is that EVERY clue is signed posted (the controller vibrates when your beside one) so all you have to do is move about the area stopping at each vibration and thats it - your even told time to move on by who ever your partner is. You also get to ask peeps questions and your suposed to look at there faces to see if they are lying or not - but the truth is it doenst matter if you get it wrong or not because right or worng answrs the game continues on. It almost feels like your playing a tutorial the whole game ( im about 7 cases in out of the 22 there are).

The next big no no is that they have created a pretty good loooking veriosn of LA it does look stunning - but there is nothing to do in it - there is no"rest" between cases so you can go off an explore teh area - your not given a chance to stop between case the game moves onto the next one when the one you are doing is finished. so you can only explore the world while in the middle of a story. Which also leads to side missions these seemed to have been tacked on at the last minute ( as up until a couple of months ago Rockstar siad that there wouldnt be any) basically your trying to get to the next crime / clue scene when over your radio you will get a message saying a crime is happening so you can decide to go do that in the middle of a story? - which in turn throws you out of what you were doing.

The final and most unforgivable thing that is making it even harder for me to play this is that your Character Phelps is the biggest DICK that has walked the planet. i mean there is nothing likeable about him or his back story (he is real goody too shoes that steps on everyone to get to the top) seriously if the game allowed me use my gun when ever i wanted (which it doesnt by the way) i would have shot msyelf in the head by now.

its a real pitty as im a huge rockstar fan - and this is a game i was really hyped for but it really has fell short ( i loved heavy rain and i dont mind slow paced games) but the fact that everything is pointed out to you or highlighted takes away any kind of fun

a 5/10 from me on this one

Edited by papalasarou

The big problem is that EVERY clue is signed posted (the controller vibrates when your beside one) so all you have to do is move about the area stopping at each vibration and thats it - your even told time to move on by who ever your partner is.

I thought you could turn that off?

I thought you could turn that off?

You can, but I wouldn't. Some of the evidence you find is way too tiny or out of the way to spot without the vibration/chimes, imo.

By the way, the vibration vanishes once you've checked something, but the chime still sounds when you walk back over some evidence you've already looked at. Does that mean anything?

I'm disappointed by the fact that you don't get a nice GTA style taxi ride when your partner drives. Other than that I'm liking it a lot, and has been said, the faces look great - think the eyes are a bit naff though to be honest.

I went with Game for my purchase as I wanted the extra case, plus the collectables to give me an excuse to explore- because otherwise the open world would feel largely redundant like Mafia II.

hey guys thought id give a quick review of the game from what ive played so far

Been playing my way through LA NOIRE and im really finding it hard to keep playing it Starting off with the + it does look great and really captures post war LA. The much touted Face captureing again really works well something

that im looking forward to seeing in the next GTA when its a little more refined. But the game itself is a real mess. If

your expecting a GTA / RDR game then your going to be

very very disapointed. If your expecting a game that your

going to have to use your brain as to how to solve crimes then your going to be very disapointed!

basically the game is mash of GTA (the open world aspect rather than story and action) Heavy Rain (Hevaily scripted scenes) and a point and click adventure game from way back in the day. Each Case follows the exact same process. you start off in the police station, you get your orders, you visit the crime scene, look about for clues which tell you were to go next - you go to th enext place

find more clues that tell you were to go next etc.. until teh

case is complete. The big problem is that EVERY clue is

signed posted (the controller vibrates when your beside

one) so all you have to do is move about the area stopping

at each vibration and thats it - your even told time to move

on by who ever your partner is. You also get to ask peeps

questions and your suposed to look at there faces to see

if they are lying or not - but the truth is it doenst matter if

you get it wrong or not because right or worng answrs the

game continues on. It almost feels like your playing a

tutorial the whole game ( im about 7 cases in out of the 22

there are).

The next big no no is that they have created a pretty good loooking veriosn of LA it does look stunning - but there is nothing to do in it - there is no"rest" between cases so you

can go off an explore teh area - your not given a chance

to stop between case the game moves onto the next one

when the one you are doing is finished. so you can only

explore the world while in the middle of a story. Which also

leads to side missions these seemed to have been tacked on at the last minute ( as up until a couple of months

ago Rockstar siad that there wouldnt be any) basically

your trying to get to the next crime / clue scene when over

your radio you will get a message saying a crime is

happening so you can decide to go do that in the middle of

a story? - which in turn throws you out of what you were

doing.

The final and most unforgivable thing that is making it even harder for me to play this is that your Character Phelps is the biggest DICK that has walked the planet. i mean there is nothing likeable about him or his back story (he is real

goody too shoes that steps on everyone to get to the top)

seriously if the game allowed me use my gun when ever i

wanted (which it doesnt by the way) i would have shot

msyelf in the head by now.

its a real pitty as im a huge rockstar fan - and this is a game i was really hyped for but it really has fell short ( i

loved heavy rain and i dont mind slow paced games) but

the fact that everything is pointed out to you or highlighted

takes away any kind of fun

a 5/6 from me on this one

5 out of 6. An almost perfect score!

With the clues, I feel the devs may have been stuck between a rock and a hard place. Either they sign post them so people don't get overly frustrated, or they don't and you're reduced to the 3D version of pixel hunting. Overall I'm happy with the way they work, as even though the clues themselves are easy to find it's up to you to figure out how to use them during questioning or interrogation.

Speaking of which, I actually think it's a good thing that it isn't possible to "fail" when interviewing or interrogating someone. I think the tutorial case highlights this actually, where it is possible to fail and have to re-do the same interrogation over and over until you get it right. I quite like the idea of being able to complete a case poorly, to be a rubbish detective but still get by. I certainly prefer it to having to play sections of the game repeatedly. I agree with others though, that telling you how many questions you got right or wrong is a clumsy approach.

The open world criticisms are fair, it's mostly there to add to the sense of a cohesive world which I think it does quite well. It's actually quite enjoyable to drive around in, and there are various landmarks and things to find/collect if you're willing to take the time to find them. The side missions are pretty inconsequential but they serve as a distraction well enough.

Phelps is a bit of a dick, mind.

I agree with others though, that telling you how many questions you got right or wrong is a clumsy approach.

Actually, they could reveal the figure in the case report at the end. I'd much prefer not knowing at the time, and not having the music cues. Would make it feel more natural and less "gamey", particularly as the interrogation logic is sometimes a bit skewy.