IGNORED

Bit Generations (GBA)

matt!

Now that I've practices with and discovered its many subtleties, I think Dotstream might be one of the most ingeniusly simple games I've played in a while.

Nicked from another forum:

The tiny bar at the very bottom is a meter of how much drift you get from a neighbouring line. Basically, to overpass the crowd, you must stay in a straightline not far away from some other contestant's. As you do that, the little bar grows and when it reaches your current power bar, it makes it grow over its normal limit.

Also STARS items are invincibilities and you also have STOP buttons that slow down time. So keeping up a star item in case you meet one of those dancing squares is helpful. Also minimizing lane changes is good. You sort of have to second guess the minimum path. The computer intentionally does not do that apparently.

I don't think left or right do anything. Only through a psychological effect :lol:

B is braking, A activates an item.

Using the bottom lane to recharge boosts is sort of risky. Maybe when crashing a lot?

S'what i thought but

this made me unsure.

They work fine on my DS Lite using my flash card (Super Card SD). The only problem is you can't play 2-player Boundish. Not that I have any friends anyway... For those saying that they could fit them all on one game card both Dialhex & Dotstream are 16MB each! Not sure how, mind!

Anyway, I like the style of these especially Dotstream. Boundish seems like it might be alright in 2-player mode but I can see it getting dull rather quickly. Dialhex is alright if you're into your puzzle games, which I'm not.

Dotstream is certainly the best of the bunch. Not 100% sure what I'm doing on it yet especially in the first mode you unlock (after winning the first GP). Can't work out how you're supposed to get a good start, either. :) A DS version with Wi-Fi would be ace

They're probably worth downloading first, to demo, before you go spending money on them though.

.::: I don't 'get' DotStream. I want to love it but for some reason even after reading the explanation it feels very much like...

*how do I say this without damning the entire thing in one fell swoop... oh well tough luck*

Kirby Air Ride in that there's not much control besides steering. Maybe I need to give it some more time. Love the music though.

Dialhex. This is so much more better than Hexic that I'm toying with the idea of gluing a copy in its own Micro. Love the 'carry-over' effect that is possible, allowing you to juggle pieces high up. Delightful puzzler.

Boundish. Now I do get that Pong is fairly important to gaming in general. But dressing it up isn't doing anyone any favours. Next to that there are also some horrible control-problems with some of the variants. Urgh.

.::: I don't 'get' DotStream. I want to love it but for some reason even after reading the explanation it feels very much like...

*how do I say this without damning the entire thing in one fell swoop... oh well tough luck*

Kirby Air Ride in that there's not much control besides steering. Maybe I need to give it some more time. Love the music though.

This and Polarium Advance (bought after reading one of your threads, strangely) are eating up my game time, currently.

I haven't played Air Ride, but I didn't 'get' Dotstream at first either. It seemed a bit limited, however extended play has revealed an excellent game, one of my faves on GBA.

I'm a racing game fan and so usually, as you suggest, they're based on how well you control speed/movement. Dotstream isn't based on the same idea though. It's about the risk/reward. Most races in Dotsream are close affairs, and so you have to make quick decisions constantly to keep up with the pack. It's great - keep learning new things. Formation Mode seemed a bit cack at first, until I realised you can control the second line - suddenly you can start picking up loads of the pill-thingys.

I haven't found out how to do fast starts though. Anyone have an idea?

This and Polarium Advance (bought after reading one of your threads, strangely) are eating up my game time, currently.

I haven't played Air Ride, but I didn't 'get' Dotstream at first either. It seemed a bit limited, however extended play has revealed an excellent game, one of my faves on GBA.

I'm a racing game fan and so usually, as you suggest, they're based on how well you control speed/movement. Dotstream isn't based on the same idea though. It's about the risk/reward. Most races in Dotsream are close affairs, and so you have to make quick decisions constantly to keep up with the pack. It's great - keep learning new things. Formation Mode seemed a bit cack at first, until I realised you can control the second line - suddenly you can start picking up loads of the pill-thingys.

I haven't found out how to do fast starts though. Anyone have an idea?

.::: See it sounds like one of the best things on earth... Might need to do a killer7 on it and just persevere. (Although I only played a friends copy, so I'll have to practise on a slightly more dubious copy. I'm getting Dialhex no matter what though, but Boundish can f off.)

What's the betting we'll be getting something along these lines for the Virtual Console?

That's a good point. Iawata has already stated the Wii's VC will be used for more simple and unusual games - he never mentioned these, but maybe he was thinking about them?

Famitsu scores for the series, best to worst, collated for y'all:

Dotstream - 30 (9/7/6/;)

Orbital - 29 (7/9/6/7)

Digidrive - 28 (8/7/6/7)

Soundvoyager - 28 (8/6/6/:(

Dialhex - 27 (7/6/8/6)

Boundish - 26 (7/5/7/7)

Coloris - 23 (7/4/6/6)

I've watched the vids for the 4 newies, and I liked the look of Coloris actually. It looks very Seventies - like something you'd expect to see a flash of in an early Strokes video. Orbital looks really interesting, while Digidrive has a real arty look to it, more so than the others, I reckon.

Apparently Orbital is Katamari with planets. It sounds brilliant.

Looks it. Having visited the Bit Generations website last night, I'm really thinking about picking the whole set up, but that looked like one of the best ones.

Do all the games have weird spooky ethereal sound effects, or was it just the ones I watched last night?

They seem incredibly arty and cool as fuck.

Famitsu scores for the series, best to worst, collated for y'all:

Dotstream - 30 (9/7/6/:unsure:

Orbital - 29 (7/9/6/7)

Digidrive - 28 (8/7/6/7)

Soundvoyager - 28 (8/6/6/:lol:

Dialhex - 27 (7/6/8/6)

Boundish - 26 (7/5/7/7)

Coloris - 23 (7/4/6/6)

I've watched the vids for the 4 newies, and I liked the look of Coloris actually. It looks very Seventies - like something you'd expect to see a flash of in an early Strokes video. Orbital looks really interesting, while Digidrive has a real arty look to it, more so than the others, I reckon.

How do the scores break down? (?/?/?/?)