IGNORED

Sony: MS copy everything we do

The Liberal Elite

The Dual Shock is a butchered version of the original pad, designed for 2D games, originally designed as a cheap alternative to flight sticks rather than as a proper controller:

81557333.JPG

If you're referring to that thing as the "cheap alternative to flight sticks" you're off base, the original Dual Analog controller was pretty close to a Dual Shock (in fact the Japanese version even had a rudimentary rumble).

Edit - If you mean the Dual Analog was an alternative to that monstrosity you're on the money though.

But the Dual Shock is horrible. I have to put my left hand in a weird position so I can stretch my thumb over to the analog. The hand "settles" where the D-Pad and the buttons are.

PST PIX?

I can't image why you'd have to stretch uncomfortably. Most thumbs will pivot quite easily from one to the other at the joint.

Does it apply to both your thumbs, or just one? Would your 'ideal' pad would have both analogue sticks up above the d-pad and face buttons?

And that's not even mentioning it's shockingly bad "analogue" buttons (the Xbox did it so much better)

In what way are you measuring the quality of both pads' analogue buttons? They both measure 256 degrees of pressure, as far as I'm aware. The only notable difference is the shape of the surfaces.

There's no doubt that the analogue sticks were an amendment for 3D games, but the fact that other pads since have been built around this basic structure shows it got it more or less right.

The left stick on the dual shock's not where your thumb naturally rests, that's the thing. When you hold your pad the thumbs go to the d-pad and buttons naturally. It makes more sense to have the analogue where the d-pad currently is, rather than it being a major ergonomic consideration.

As for comparing the PS2 pad and Xbox's analogue buttons... lolz. I think I've played one Xbox game that noticably uses them. If you were going to critcise something, lack of triggers surely?

The left stick on the dual shock's not where your thumb naturally rests, that's the thing. When you hold your pad the thumbs go to the d-pad and buttons naturally. It makes more sense to have the analogue where the d-pad currently is, rather than it being a major ergonomic consideration.

So why is the left stick taking the abuse here? Why not both?

Because you use the left stick a lot more. A pad with the right stick in place of the face buttons would be much better for FPS and such, but terrible for the vast majority that use the face buttons more often.

I suppose the Xbox should have its second stick above the buttons, then - what with it having nothing but FPS games. (LOLZ!!)

So why is the left stick taking the abuse here? Why not both?

Becuase on the other side, you generally need to use both the buttons and the other stick in turn. Stretching is inevitable. On the left, you generally either use the D-Pad or the analog stick, not both.

Edit - If you mean the Dual Analog was an alternative to that monstrosity you're on the money though.

That's what I meant, yes. That's what it was originally designed for.

As for comparing the PS2 pad and Xbox's analogue buttons... lolz. I think I've played one Xbox game that noticably uses them. If you were going to critcise something, lack of triggers surely?

It's what makes the DS2 worse than the DS for me. The analogue buttons make the whole pad feel flimsy. The Xbox feels like it has proper buttons despite being analogue (and criminally underused).

PST PIX?

dspad.jpg

I get them mixed up... but only when 'told' to press one of them, not when actually knowing where a button is. Like, in Paper Mario 2, when it tells you to press a certain sequence of buttons, it says "X", and I have to think which one is X and which one is Y. But simply using them in games, I have no trouble. I know that the upper button is fire missiles and the side one is morph ball in Metroid, for example.

Surely that argument can be labelled double at the Dual shock though, where you have four identical buttons with symbols on them.

"Press the square button!"

"Which one's that then? There are four buttons here, all the same, let me have a look-"

"Ah, you're dead!"

See?

And DOA:XBV used the analogue buttons on the Xbox pad for the volleyball and the pool hopping game. Nice.

It's worse going from the Xbox to the DS or SNES. Same letters, different locations.

On the subject of right analogue sticks, one consideration is that four buttons really need a lot more room than one thumbstick. Putting a d-pad down in a little corner is easy, putting four buttons in the same space would be painful.