IGNORED

Sony: MS copy everything we do

The Liberal Elite

I hate to keep this going but...

Sony did NOT copy 2 SKUs or the "Guide" button from Microsoft. The PSP had these a year previously. If you're going to slag them at least get you're facts right.

Wasn't the PSP console the same but it was just a different pack though?

Like the SNES solus & SMW packs?

ie, not a different base console but different accessories?

I hate to keep this going but...

Sony did NOT copy 2 SKUs or the "Guide" button from Microsoft. The PSP had these a year previously. If you're going to slag them at least get you're facts right.

The psp home button doesnt equal a guide button. And 2 skus? The value pack was hardly an alternative SKU, it was a bundle pack. Same hardware remember?

Wasn't the PSP console the same but it was just a different pack though?

Like the SNES solus & SMW packs?

ie, not a different base console but different accessories?

That's essentially what the 360 is though, besides the horrible silver disc tray.

They've probably got a bit more justification for having two SKUs for the PS3 since they have some significant differences in the hardware, but it's still totally retarded.

There is no point to make though then. Everyone has done that always.

Silly business with this HDMI socket though, why have different hardware?

Aren't Sony now copying MS's Live, 2 SKU release and having some silver trim on the premium SKU?

Ah - this was the post that caused the bother!

(I went back through the thread to find it)

Sony have made a strange choice though by making a technically inferior model that can't be accessorised to be the full package.

Let's look at the evidence:

360: Concave

PS3: Convex

MATCH

360: Button in middle of controller

PS3: Button in middle of controller

MATCH

360: 60Hz AC

PS3: 60Hz AC

MATCH

360: Carbon-based polymers used in construction

PS3: Carbon-based polymers used in construction

MATCH

360: Sounds like jet engine

PS3: Unconfirmed

INCONCLUSIVE

360: Chavular

PS3: Liked by graphic designers

FAIL

360: Runs Xbox games

PS3: Runs PS3 games

FAIL

360: Comes in green or white box

PS3: Unconfirmed

INCONCLUSIVE

TBH, lack of HDMI isnt an issue anymore as BR now allows HD through component, i think only 1080p isnt allowed but if you have money to have a 1080p tv, you wont be moaning at the £425 price/

Regardless of the price, why have 2 separate models?

PS3 Designers Edition £1000*

*Does nothing due to wires being unsightly but looks better than council estate chic 360s. Comes with a certificate that lets you lord it over know nothing chavs on the internet.

On the subject of massive damage, rumour has it that MS aren't doing a 360 price drop, but will instead include the HD-DVD drive in the current Premium pack at the same price. Maybe they'll start doing the non-HD-DVD Premium at the price of the current Core?

With comments like that I'd say Sony were a bit more then worried and they sound agitated too - so clearly they're annoyed at the success of the 360 and the fact their console is bloody expensive.

This and the fact that their about to lose,,, what - say 1/8* of their sales to ebay?

*ballpark figure.

Mmmm.. on the PS3 (2) pad, there seems to be a USB port (mini USB).

Wireless / Recharge port?

There also is an LED array showing player 1 - 4. :)

sooo.. wireless/ recharge, "guide" button in the middle, 4 LEDs showing pad position..

"Sony: MS copy everything we do".

Arse.

The original PS pad was a direct rip off of the SNES pad (albeit with EXTRA STEMS) and of course the cut - out middle section of the + pad (as Nintendo own the copyright for the + pad).

Why? The PS was originally designed as a CD addon for the SNES (for those not as massively old as me to remember), so they kept the original pad design and button layout..

Sony have yet to genuinely make a pad themselves.

And I really think the 360 pad is a complete joy to use.

Is this genuine Sony fear or is it just the usual "War of Words" bullshit we all have come to know and love?? :)

In fairness a basic gamepad is exactly that.

Why change it?

Its a success.

Go on....someone say "well Nintendo have!".

Because the basic gamepad, the Dual Shock, is extremely poor these days. It is extremely uncomfortable to use, designed for when 2D games with 2D control was still prevailant. Things change, things evolve, things improve, and apparently the design of the Dual Shock doesn't.

The last major revision to the design of the thing must have been 10 years ago now, and compared to other pads, it's just a bit shit. You need to stretch your thumbs to use the bloody thing ffs. Ergonomics ftw.

In fairness a basic gamepad is exactly that.

Why change it?

Its a success.

Go on....someone say "well Nintendo have!".

TBH Sony are smart. they knew they had a good thing with the DS and just adjusted it for the times.

Nintendo fucked up by dumping what worked (SNES and N64 pad)

TBH Sony are smart. they knew they had a good thing with the DS and just adjusted it for the times.

If only they'd kept the N64 pad for the Gamecube, Sony would've gone bankrupt :)

Are you honestly saying the DS2 is better than the GC pad?

Ignoring the Z-Button. Nobody used that.

As an aside on controllers, is it going to be possible to play anything but NES games with the Wii controller? I mean, letting people DL games they don't have a controller for isn't very Nintendo. I reckon the retro controller might be bundled.

As an aside on controllers, is it going to be possible to play anything but NES games with the Wii controller? I mean, letting people DL games they don't have a controller for isn't very Nintendo. I reckon the retro controller might be bundled.

Why would the controller be bundled? There will be people who aren't interested in the Virtual Console or have no Internet access to make use of it.