IGNORED

N64 is 10 years OLD

momomo

It didn't launch in Europe until March 1st 1997 though.

Having seen the Mario videos, and the 10/10s, that was one of the longest waits of my life. And it lived up to expectations.

My favourite console, swiftly followed by the SNES.

I got mine on launch from Argos. They had two in stock and I was second in the queue. I phoned numerous shops to try and pre-order one a few weeks before and they either didn't know what an N64 was (back then my local town didn't have a Game or Gamestation - just Dixons, Woolworths and Smiths) or wasn't taking pre-orders.

So I had my console...but Argos didn't have any games in stock, so I had to go around town carrying a large N64-shaped carrier bag looking for a game. I got some very jealous looks! In the end I managed to get a copy of Star Wars from Blockbuster - their only game left. I wanted Mario really, but I probably would have bought Star Wars eventually.

Bought mine a month or three after the Japanese launch, infact I know it was AUTUMN 1996 but it came with a USA mario and has a crude solder job on the slot for USA carts.

When did it launch in the USA?

Cost me two weeks wages at the time then went a bit crazy paying 90 quid for the likes of USA turok and pilotwings from torc.

Happy days and money well spent.

Its still going strong after nearlly ten years of use and abuse as well.

Blastcorps and pilotwings really do need updates.

I bought mine the day after the '98 World Cup final.

I went to visit my brother in Bristol, and before and after the final we played Goldeneye with his housemates. I hadn't played it before and it blew me away. Rushed out the next day and spent the last dregs of my student loan on a second hand N64 with Goldeneye and a few pads.

Barely a day at Uni went by without it being played. Goldeneye, Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Didy Kong...ah...

My final year at uni, my housemate had, amongst other consoles, an N64. We'd play the hell out of Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye. My housemate and his brother would play some version of ISS (the exact one escapes me) into the early hours. I couldn't handle football games. Still, very enjoyable concole for multiplayer.

Oh I remember the day well. I preordered one from Beatties the now defunct retailer of miscellaneous toy related items, plane sets etc and I got it on the day of launch with Mario 64. That game alone lasted me months, it was a true masterpiece.

Shortly after launch the price plummeted to new levels and I was not a happy bunny. I sent off a letter to THE who were the distributor at the time and Nintendo themselves. They sent me two controllers to make up the price, I was happy 0_0

Goldeneye still hasn't been improved upon 10 years later. The mark of an everlasting gem. Perfect Dark on the N64 personally is better than on the 360 just for the original experience that it brought to the table. It was the pioneer in it's day and now it's just been reworked and improved upon. Still a solid feat now with stunning graphics but it doesn't beat having to go out and buy an expansion pack to make sure you get the best graphical experience!

Singho I can't believe you've forgotten 1080 on your list. That was a true true gem, I absolutely loved that game. Everything else that came after it related has been such a disappointment.

It feels to me like Nintendo is coming full circle now with the Wii. The N64 as we can see in this thread had some truly amazing titles. When they remade most of them for the Gamecube, they were largely disappointing. I think now with the Wii we will hopefully be able to see all the games that we loved on the N64 presented in an all new exciting and compelling way.

Long live the N64.

Ah, the N64. Probably my favourite console.

I actually owned a game for it, before I owned the console. My mate bought his with Mario, and I bought Turok (for £70) just so we could play it on his machine. I then got my gf to lend me the money to buy the console for myself the following weekend.

It was all I could think about at the time. I'd never seen anything like it, and it was a case of going straight round to my mate's after work and playing it as much as I could. When I was in town I'd play every demo pod, and when I finally got mine we played Turok all weekend, pretty much without sleep.

Nothing really has that same effect on me these days*. And that was long before Zelda took over months of my life. I was 23. Happy days.

* Well, maybe RE4.

Goldeneye still hasn't been improved upon 10 years later.

I got mine on launch and loved it too, but come on, let's not go nuts. Are you really trying to tell me that you think Goldeneye is still the best FPS ever made?

I couldn't imagine playing Goldeneye now if I hadn't played it so religiously back in the day. I still adore it, but by today's technical standards it's virtually unplayable. For what it was when it came out I haven't experienced a better FPS though. Not Perfect Dark, Halo or even Half-Life 2 (which will probably all seem unplayable one day).

I couldn't imagine playing Goldeneye now if I hadn't played it so religiously back in the day. I still adore it, but by today's technical standards it's virtually unplayable. For what it was when it came out I haven't experienced a better FPS though. Not Perfect Dark, Halo or even Half-Life 2 (which will probably all seem unplayable one day).

It's only the framerate that makes it unplayable though. Emulate, use solitaire config and win!

I was lucky enough to be at the spaceworld launch Shoshinkai 95. The amazing thing was that Mario 64 was shown complete as a total surprise. There'd been no pre-publicity, no announcements and certainly no screenshots. And there it was, a gaming revolution.

Apparently, some Sony Execs were claiming that the visuals were being generated by a high-end graphics workstation.

The console that got me into gaming. I got one for Xmas '97, and I can still vividly remember loading up Mario 64 and literally gaping in amazement at it. Mario Kart was a bit naff, but Mario 64 was just magical. Without adjusting for nostalgia-factor, it's my favourite game ever.