What are you reading at the moment?

finished   The Crow Road , loved it and can see the inspiration for some of tge settings in use of weapons as well, but i might be imagining that.

On to the great gatsby at the moment because its supposedly  a classic  and its super short at about 150 pages, its not a subject or a time period I'm Imparticularly interested in but it's  wonderful  so far.

It is wonderful.

If you dig that, have a crack at The Beautiful and Damned, and a must read is Tender is the Night. Both quite a bit more melancholy than Gatsby (which itself is fairly melancholy!), but extremely rewarding.

Yeah, loved it, appreciate  the recommendations  too.

on to The Day of the Jackal, love the movie  and just getting into it,  I'm usually wary of authors who churn out lots of the same sort of book , ends up being a repetition  of the same thing( hello clive cussler) but its decent so far

On 07/09/2020 at 22:26, Silent Runner said:

Next up I have either the new Ann Cleeves or Richard Osmans book that is getting good reviews. 

I read both of these last week. The Ann Cleeves, The Darkest Evening, is excellent. It's the 9th or 10th in that series and they are a little formulaic but it's a winning formula. A murder in the countryside, Vera and her team investigate and everything gets neatly resolved 300 pages later.  

The Richard Osman, The Tuesday Murder Club, was good fun. A group of friends in a retirement home meet every Tuesday to discuss famous murders. But they soon find themselves involved a real murder case. This was very easy to read but maybe not as clever as it thought it was. And it did resort to some massive info-dumps to wrap things up. I will look out for future books from him in future though. 

Edited by Silent Runner
  • 2 weeks later...

Listening to the audiobook of Rage by Bob Woodward. It's fascinating. What's most notable is that Trump does have some very smart and competent advisors around him, it's whether he actually takes heed of them that's more alarming. 

For example, he had close advisors in January ringing all the alarms about covid. Politicians keep pretending we didn't know how bad it would be until March but that's obviously nonsense. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone else read Complicity? I read a comment about it which said "the gorilla with the syringe will haunt me forever", so I got to that bit and I really didn't understand what it was suggesting. It doesn't seem like it'll revisit that part to explain. 

What it said was:

Spoiler

A man, wearing a gorilla mask, used one of those Victorian syringes with the two finger holes to inject someone with a liquid that looked like clotted cream.

Edit: The book explained later on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hitting the Aubrey-Maturin series up some more.  Just finished book 18 (of 20) The Yellow Admiral and I'm not entirely sure what to say about it, obviously this deep in I'm going to finish the series and there were some wonderful scenes contained within, the bare knuckle boxing match was a fun set piece, and as ever I feel O'Brian just serves up wonderful prose which is entertaining even when not much happens.  Not much does happen here, I know the basic premise of the entire series is that Jack falls into a bucket of shit and comes out smelling of roses but there's a bit where it looks like his marriage is in jeopardy but the stakes are so low that it really doesn't serve for much other than to act as filler for a few dozen pages.  When his wife apologises to him for being annoyed that he had an affair I absolutely rolled my eyes, but that's the first time in 18 books so I guess I can't complain too much.

On 26/10/2020 at 17:36, the_debaser said:

Currently reading The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, I’ve been meaning to give it a crack for a while. 

And I’m glad I did as it is absolutely brilliant. 

One of my favourite books.  It’s heart wrenchingly brilliant.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

I've been meaning to read one of his books for years, and I quite liked the premise of this one. It also held my attention for most of it. That's about as far as my praise goes though, I found it really basic in its insights and I found the conversations massively unrealistic, although I realise that could be at least partly down to cultural differences. Characters giving their life story to people they've just met is a regular occurrence. I also had major issues with some of the decisions made by the characters, although I won't spoil anything by being specific.

I have to say I found it funny how 95% of it is PG rated with polite conversations and gentle humour, and the other 5% is either really dark or very graphic sex.

I found a book during decluttering that I had no idea I owned. I don't normally read printed books as my eyes are crap these days, but it's only short, so I thought I'd just persevere.

So anyway, it's Fup by Jim Dodge, and I don't recall ever hearing of it or him, but it's brilliant. It's warm and funny and real; and just written with such confidence. A lovely surprise. 

• 1 month later...

Well I've been really disappointed by Dark Matter. It started off really well with an intriguing mystery, but quickly hit a lull and never recovered from it. I read reviews saying that it had invented a new genre and was groundbreaking, but it just reminded me of a lot of sci-fi films, the main one being 

Spoiler

Predestination.

I didn't think it was anything revolutionary at all.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading A Cold Heart by Jonathan Kellerman, pretty standard murder mystery job, easy read but nothing outstanding. Just fancied something undemanding after slogging through Timescape. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/11/2020 at 16:44, ZOK said:

I find Murakami to be hugely overrated.

I read 18Q4 and enjoyed it, and have often thought about bits of it quite a long time afterwards which I guess is the mark of a good book. But I wasn’t left wanting to read more of his stuff and from what I’ve heard it’s pretty similar 

Finished off Aubrey-Maturin, loved the series and while I do think the formula becomes a little stale towards the end it was a total pleasure from start to finish.  The first half dozen or so books were definitely funnier than the later ones but I did enjoy Maturin's development as a character as the books became more about him than Jack as time went by. 

After that I revisited The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet because it's set in the same time period as Jack Aubrey stuff and it was definitely worth a revisit after soaking up a bit more nautical knowledge from Patrick O'Brian. It's a fabulous book which I enjoyed just as much the second time round. 

Which brings me to Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell, which came out last summer.  It had me absolutely hooked from the first paragraph as I felt it was going to be a love letter to Soho in the 1960s. Soho is an area I know fairly well but I'd have loved to have seen it during the height of the swinging sixties and the descriptions of the sights, the sounds and the smells of the place really hit the spot.   I'm not sure I love the book so far though, I'm still very much in the first act but I'm finding it hard to care about the titular band very much, some of the characters are clearly based on real people of the era, there's a German photographer who is a thinly veiled Astrid Kirchherr and I suspect there will be more as the book goes on.  The cameos by real famous folk (David Bowie, Brian Jones) seems a bit cheesy but fuck it, It's David Mitchell and it's Denmark Street in 1967 so I'm going to give it the benefit of any doubt. 

**edit**

About halfway through now.  It's a weird book, half of it reads like mediocre genre fiction and there was a whole section which felt self contained just so the group could have some adversity to overcome but there was so much of the book remaining you knew there was practically zero at stake. All of the real life people who have had speaking roles in the book are dead, I wonder if that's just to sidestep any potential legal issues. Jimmy Savile of all people is in the book for a little while(!) I got oddly annoyed about a geographical error on a train ride and I'm not feeling the sections about the music, I guess it's hard to care about music that doesn't actually exist, but there's still something I really enjoy. There are heavy call backs to Thousand Autumns which I genuinely wasn't expecting and make me happy I revisited it just before picking this up and the Soho of the 1960s just remains a fascinating place. 

over twenty years working on the railway will do that to a man I guess. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading Zucked: Waking Up To The Facebook Catastrophe by Roger McNamee but am close to binning it. It's not saying anything I didn't already know about Facebook's shady way of doing things, about using various tricks to keep people's attention, its inability to do anything about hate speech, interference in election advertising etc. It spends a lot of time talking about his role in the early days of Facebook and him generally. Not sure where it's going but so far it hasn't been worth it.

I literally JUST finished 1974 - by David Peace.  The first of the Red Ridings quartet.

Has anybody else read it?  I feel like I just fell out of a massive whirling washing machine drum of complicated plots and a thousand villainous characters.  I’m not even sure who did what, and I can’t find any online plot explanations.  Help!

I read those back to back a few years ago and remember it being pretty intense and dark. Really good too. But I'm probably not fresh enough to help much. There was a good TV adaptation in case you didn't know already, might be worth a go. 

I also read those David Peace books at the time they came out, can remember really enjoying them and being really creeped out by them at times. But like @milko, it's a while ago now and I can't remember much detail, just that they were an excellent read. Keep on with them @Loz Boz

Today I read a review in the Observer of a book called "The Lamplighters" by Emma Stonex which sounded really intriguing, so I downloaded the start of it though Kindle. Burned through that at work today so will be ordering the full book in the morning. It's started brilliantly and I can't wait to find out more. 

It's a fictional tale about the mysterious and disturbing disappearance of 3 lighthouse keepers from a Lands End lighthouse in 1972, investigated by a fictional novelist in 1992, but is based on a real disappearance of 3 lighthouse keepers from a real life Scottish lighthouse in 1900.

the review that piqued my interest -

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/mar/01/the-lamplighters-by-emma-stonex-review-haunting-folk-tale-rebooted?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

edit - I also read on here in one of the book threads some discussion about Stephen King and Peter Straub's The Talisman and how good it was. I read it as a youngster but can't remember much about it, so I was pleased to find on my visit to the Kindle store that it currently 9n sale for 99p. Bought it.

Finished Utopia Avenue which has some nice passages, wraps up neatly and on the whole is "fine" but it's definitely a weak book by David Mitchell's high standards.  

Picked up Piranesi by Susanna Clarke after seeing quite a bit of buzz about it and I bloody loved it.  Glad I didn't know anything at all about it going in other than the very basic premise that it was somewhat gothic fantasy, I imagine it would be very easy to spoil if you read a synopsis, but I cannot recommend it enough if you're looking for a book you can fly through in a weekend.  

Who was it who recommended The Island by Ana Maria Matute? It could have been from the Kindle thread...anyway I’ve nearly finished it and I wanted to thank whoever suggested it, because it’s quite brilliant.

skim-deep.thumb.jpg.eb36856677df91c954966e9dc66fde4e.jpg

I think this the final Nolan book. I really should have started at the beginning, I guess. But enjoying this one so far. The Hardcase Crime books have some amazing covers. Very Reprisalizer/Terry Finch (not a bad thing). So I actually don't mind paying a bit more for a paperback over a kindle edition.