rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Danny Boyle - Sunshine

Perhaps the sun was the main character in the movie in the same way the One Ring was the main character in the LOTR trilogy... maybe.

I want to see it again though, I hear the second viewing you get to appreciate it a lot more (character behaviour, etc) than the first showing.

I don't think the captain fried his crew, I think he somehow managed to change their mind. Either that or prolonged exposure to the sun sent them all mad and made them believe they really were having an epiphany. Icarus II said the maximum safe level of exposure was 3.1%, perhaps Icarus I had a different max level and the radiation fried their brains or something? The way the entire crew was sat there kinda made me think that it was a voluntary thing rather than the captain murdering them all.

The way he was all burnt and so on, I don't believe the idea was that he was no longer fully human, more than he was exposing himself to the heat on a regular basis on the grounds that he was essentially flaying himself in front of his God and that he believed himself to be a martyr.

The bit at the end where the fire stopped in front of Cappa's face did leave me a little ^_^ though. I figured it was just a slow-mo shot but then he started moving his hand at full speed, I guess it was supposed to symbolise something I just don't really know what.

I think that was supposed to be some heaven/hell symbolism, with the sun in front of him and the stars behind. And the bomb was apparently an insanely powerful dark matter thingmy so some weirdness happened, or something.

I agree that the crew probably all went over the edge together, rather than the captain killing them all off. They got obsessed with the sun, it seems.

I think that was supposed to be some heaven/hell symbolism, with the sun in front of him and the stars behind. And the bomb was apparently an insanely powerful dark matter thingmy so some weirdness happened, or something.

I agree that the crew probably all went over the edge together, rather than the captain killing them all off. They got obsessed with the sun, it seems.

Perhaps, but why did the captain not die with them? It's unclear to me but at the time it seemed he did it to them.

Anyway I thought it was amazing... truly breathtaking visuals, edge-of-seat tension and a downright brilliant premise.

The way the awesome power of the sun was emphasized at every point and naturally the dangers of space and living in isolation in space was wonderfully realised. The introduction of the mad captain at the end was also handled well.

What I loved about the movie most is the way Boyle used our pre-conceptions about space disaster movies (2001, Alien, etc.) against us by leaving red herrings such as potentially murderous computers, potentially murderous aliens, potentially murderous crew mates, etc. when, really, the only threat was the one we knew about all along (apart from the mad captain... although I guess his 'sunstroke' could be an extension of the sun's power).

That's what bothered me about Captain Crispy, he didn't fit that pattern. The film could've been a landmark if it had steered clear of him, and the only threats had been space and the encroaching risk of madness amoungst the crew themselves. I'll give you that his reveal in the observation room was fantastic, as a barely-discernable shape, but aside from that (and moving the plot along a bit by his presence) he wouldn't have been missed.

The film could've been a landmark if it had steered clear of him, and the only threats had been space and the encroaching risk of madness amoungst the crew themselves.

The problem is, that exact same landmark (if it is one) was reached in 1972 with Solaris. This film just nodded to it and passed by, not daring to really engage with it; the same with all of the other ideas it borrowed. None of them really went anywhere. I suppose my biggest disappointment with the film is that ultimately it just lacked imagination and the space to explore ideas, which are pretty crippling problems in a film of this sort.

That's what bothered me about Captain Crispy, he didn't fit that pattern. The film could've been a landmark if it had steered clear of him, and the only threats had been space and the encroaching risk of madness amoungst the crew themselves. I'll give you that his reveal in the observation room was fantastic, as a barely-discernable shape, but aside from that (and moving the plot along a bit by his presence) he wouldn't have been missed.

I thought his presence was almost made worthwhile by the revelation of a fifth life-form on board by the computer. That was really chilling, especially as I hadn't been spoiled by the trailer.

Also, I loved the subliminal flashes of the Icarus I crew when they first boarded their ship, but was a bit annoyed that it turned out to be nothing more than a directorial flourish, rather than something the Icaurus 2 crew were seeing (although I would have liked it even less if it descended into something supernatural).

I thought his presence was almost made worthwhile by the revelation of a fifth life-form on board by the computer. That was really chilling, especially as I hadn't been spoiled by the trailer.

This was key for me.

I hadn't paid enough attention to the trailer to be spoiled by that part

This was key for me.

I hadn't paid enough attention to the trailer to be spoiled by that part

Me too! I usually ruin everything I watch my reading reviews or watching trailers but I avoided everything about this.

I have to say the main thing that interested me about this was the basic premise of "scientists try and stop the sun from dying" and Cillian Murphy. He's the most beautiful man I have ever ever seen.

The film was pretty good too.

I enjoyed it a lot, although given the mentioning of Solaris and 2001 in some of the reviews I've read I was expecting something more. But yeah, it was good, and quite refreshing after sitting through 300 earlier in the day. I didn't really have a problem with the idea of

'the fifth crew member'

or what have you, and the reveal was pretty creepy if predictable but the

slasher movie-ish turn it took

was pretty rubbish, wish they'd done something more interesting with him.

OK, if the shark was the main character in Jaws then we'll have to agree to disagree on what makes a "character".

Oh and if the title of the movie indicates the main character then we'll have to agree to disagree on that. I mean, who's the main character in "Chasing Amy"? "There's Something About Mary"? "Rebecca"? "Chinatown"?

Actually I think it's just down to the fact that you're using "main character" to mean "most important character" and I'm taking it to mean "protagonist" or "hero".

Sorry if I was rude.

I reckon the Captain torched his crew. Locked them in the observation room and turned the blinds off. They knew what was happening and decided to have a group hug before the inevitable.

Having thought about it a bit more I have to say you're spot-on.

I don't think he damaged the film by his presence (I love how we're putting the blame on a non-existent character) but the film would have been tidier/clearer/better if the threat remained the sun.

I suppose it's always easier/beneficial to put a human face on the terror and urgency of the final moments of a disaster epic. It's a dichotomy.

Me too! I usually ruin everything I watch my reading reviews or watching trailers but I avoided everything about this.

I have to say the main thing that interested me about this was the basic premise of "scientists try and stop the sun from dying" and Cillian Murphy. He's the most beautiful man I have ever ever seen.

The film was pretty good too.

Yes, I don't know what it is about Cillian Murphy but he is strangely attractive.

I have a quick question.

The last sequence with the baddie chasing Cappa happens inside the bomb, does it? That whole room with the white lights on the walls is the bomb?

Correct.

I thought the film was incredible, unrealistic speed of Mercury crossing in front of the Sun or not.

I mean, talk about a YAWN complaint.

I think there's been so much exaggeration about the end of the film, as well. But I suppose that's typical ''it's the worse X ever!'' or what have you.

I actually liked that part, particularly the reveal of HIM in the observation room, and staring into Capa's eyes through the airlock door window. Arguably the fuzzy camera work went a bit tad overboard at a few points, but there is no need for all this crap i've been hearing about how the sequance is ''unwatchable'' and rubbish like that.

It was a stylistic choice by Boyle, and I think it was meant to convey the terror and bewilderment of the crew. I think there's also a possibility that Boyle felt that the fully made up guy (make-up, latex etc) didn't look quite right and decided to blur him out, your view of him made up of terrified glimpses or whatever.

Saw this yesterday, it was a digital presentation so the picture was beautifully crisp also loved the sound design nice and bassy.

Thoughts on the film i liked it. Although it did get a bit borderline silly when it seemingly turned into a slasher pic although like Pob has said the reveal of a fifth crew member on board was pretty good and chilling and the way they shot the mad captain was good, not really giving us a good look at him, also i loved the subliminal cut frames when they go on the Icarus 1. Really good tension builder.

Overall though i felt it was good but the inclusion of a 'villain' in the final half did feel a little too forced.

I definitely think the fifth crew member is more bearable if you've not had it spoiled for you. I managed to avoid it (I changed channels whenever the TV spot came on), but I can see it turning the film into an overlong wait-for-the-killer first act followed by a generic chase, if you know it's coming.

The problem is, that exact same landmark (if it is one) was reached in 1972 with Solaris.

That's a point. I suppose at the end of the day, Sunshine is as much a collage of tributes as it is a movie in its own right.

Talking of stupid things: who cares that one little plant survived? She looked at the plant as if it was the second coming. It's not going to feed them with oxygen is it? Not when they have about 16 more hours to live by them

Pah.

They've been onboard the ship for sixteen months. Sixteen long months with only seven other people.

She's the plant expert. The oxygen garden is massively important. It's the only work that she does. On board Icarus, it's essentially her life. They're her plants.

You find it hard to believe that after sixteen months of isolation from society, with only the plants to work on, she wouldn't have become completely focused, nay obsessed with them?

Look at the anguish she experiences when the garden goes up in flames. All of the crew are shocked and realise the implications of the its destruction, but she's the one crying and screaming. That shot of her banging her hands on the transparent wall of the garden, the flames consuming everything within, is shockingly beautiful and tragic.

Later on, as you've said, she discovers a tiny seedling growing in the carbonised remains of her previous creation. Being rational, she will know this does not represent salvation. But she is not acting completely rationally. She's obsessed with the plants, they were her constant focus for sixteen months. She has also recently experienced an intense emotional shock with the death of you-know-who.

So her heart fills with joy when she sees this tiny plant. It represents something else to her. For a few seconds she forgets about what's happened, about where she is.

I just don't understand your complaint - are humans entirely rational creatures?

I definitely think the fifth crew member is more bearable if you've not had it spoiled for you. I managed to avoid it (I changed channels whenever the TV spot came on), but I can see it turning the film into an overlong wait-for-the-killer first act followed by a generic chase, if you know it's coming.

I kind of knew it was coming because of the whole ‘There are 5 crew members on board; fifth crew member is unknown’ bit in the trailer but it didn’t really detract from the film for me. The interesting part for me was finding out who the fifth crew member was; a stow-away, a rogue crew-man or even God himself? The chase sequence only lasted a couple of minutes and the climax inside the bomb-chamber was fantastic.

The chase sequence only lasted a couple of minutes and the climax inside the bomb-chamber was fantastic.

Agreed. There's been so much exaggeration about that sequence. Even if you really do HATE it, it only lasts a few minutes. Again, I like it. Cassie's terror is palpable, as is Cappas when he locks him in the airlock.

I really have no problem with it.

And the bit in the observation room is brilliant - ''My God, my God....''