Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Danny Boyle - Sunshine

Oh my ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8008473.stm

'Quiet Sun' baffling astronomers

By Pallab Ghosh

Science correspondent, BBC News

The Sun is the dimmest it has been for nearly a century. There are no sunspots, very few solar flares - and our nearest star is the quietest it has been for a very long time.

The observations are baffling astronomers, who are due to study new pictures of the Sun, taken from space, at the UK National Astronomy Meeting. The Sun normally undergoes an 11-year cycle of activity. At its peak, it has a tumultuous boiling atmosphere that spits out flares and planet-sized chunks of super-hot gas. This is followed by a calmer period.

Last year, it was expected that it would have been hotting up after a quiet spell. But instead it hit a 50-year low in solar wind pressure, a 55-year low in radio emissions, and a 100-year low in sunspot activity.

the Payload run is incredible, especially the moment where he trips up in that dementedly heavy spacesuit

It's the struggle of life in a second. You fall, you get up. Or you try to.

Capa's jump makes me cry.

• Upvote 1

The science advisor on this film was Brian Cox, who was my flatmate's supervisor when he worked at Fermilab in Chicago, and is apparently a massive wanker

Lol, what, Brian 'really famous now' Cox?

I like him on the TV, and I've been meaning to watch the Sunshine commentary. I've heard he's a bit of an arse though, and he does come across as a bit dickish in some behind the scenes stuff I've watched.

Lol, what, Brian 'really famous now' Cox?

Seriously! I actually quite like Brian Cox’s tv shows, and he comes across well when he’s being interviewed, but the people I know who’ve worked with him really, really, fucking hate the guy.

Having just watched this I thought the ending was fantastic. It's just trademark Boyle visual inventiveness for about 25 minutes solid. The guy is a treasure.

I love this film and cant understand why it got so slagged. The music was sublime too.

The middle part was by far the weakest. The whole killer bit never really gelled for me, and I would've enjoyed it a lot more if it gone for more of an Armageddon, crew vs the most hostile environment imaginable kind of plot rather than Scream in space. The beginning and end more than make up for it though.

EDIT - The music as well is utterly fantastic.

The inexpicable madman with the wobble cam is pretty rubbish, though.

Yep. Awesome and intense for 2 hours. Madness and just plain silly for the last 10 minutes. Shame - could have been a proper classic.

The final act let it down so badly.

The baddie, with his inexplicable super human strength, was a trope take right out of some straight to video 90s action film.

Now I remember - it specifically reminded me of Death Warrant, and how the evil dude 'Sandman' survives begin kicked into a furnace. Just, because, you know, fire doesn't hurt you if you're bad.