rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

Danny Boyle - Sunshine

Looking at the footage and reading through the info it does comes across as Event Horizon mixed with something like The Core. I like the idea of starting the movie midway through the mission rather than having the standard "earth disaster, discovery, team collection, training etc" montage. Danny Boyle is an interesting choice for director and while Shallow Grave & Trainspotting were fantastic, he hasn't really impressed me since. Life Less Ordinary was a mess and I wasn't a fan of The Beach at all. All the good work in the opening hour of 28 Days Later is undone for me, by the remaining running time. Didn't see his last movie "Millions".

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fifty years from now, the sun is dying, and mankind is dying with it. Our last hope: a spaceship and a crew of eight men and women. They carry a device which will breathe new life into the star. But deep into their voyage, out of radio contact with Earth, their mission is starting to unravel. There is an accident, a fatal mistake, and a distress beacon from a spaceship that disappeared seven years earlier. Soon the crew is fighting not only for their lives, but their sanity.

This is trailer footage spliced with Danny Boyle talking about the movie.

http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/8

There's more video diaries there (seems to be the thing to do these days) but I've not watched them yet. This was originally due out in Oct 2006 but has been moved to March 2007.

Bizarrely I hate Paul Anderson but one of my all time favourite movies is Event Horizon. Sunshine is incredibly similar to Event Horizon going by that trailer. I do have faith that Danny Boyle can do something a little different though.

Bizarrely I hate Paul Anderson but one of my all time favourite movies is Event Horizon. Sunshine is incredibly similar to Event Horizon going by that trailer. I do have faith that Danny Boyle can do something a little different though.

It's because Event Horizon wasn't written by Anderson, Resident Evil and AVP sucked cause they were written by Anderson and he can't write for shit.

It's because Event Horizon wasn't written by Anderson, Resident Evil and AVP sucked cause they were written by Anderson and he can't write for shit.

Exactly. It's no happy accident.

The thing that makes Event Horizon good is the cult dialogue fed through legends such as Lawrence, Neill and Pertwee. It has nothing to do with the direction.

Man, Sunshine looks ace. I really, really hope it's as good as it looks- Danny Boyle's one of my favourite directors, and Alex Garland's one of my favourite writers. 28 Days Later was brilliant; hopefully, this can take the sparse seventies sci-fi vibe of that film, and transfer it into outer space. There hasn't been a good proper sci-fi film in years.

Quick question for those with better ears than me- does Cillian Murphy speak with an Irish accent in that trailer? It sounded like he was playing a yank (which is a bit disappointing), but I could hardly tell with the hissy sound and loud music.

Man, Sunshine looks ace. I really, really hope it's as good as it looks- Danny Boyle's one of my favourite directors, and Alex Garland's one of my favourite writers. 28 Days Later was brilliant; hopefully, this can take the sparse seventies sci-fi vibe of that film, and transfer it into outer space. There hasn't been a good proper sci-fi film in years.

Quick question for those with better ears than me- does Cillian Murphy speak with an Irish accent in that trailer? It sounded like he was playing a yank (which is a bit disappointing), but I could hardly tell with the hissy sound and loud music.

I think Alex Garland's a great author. But a not-so-great script writer. I'm of the camp that loved Shallow Grave and Train Spotting, liked the start of 28 Days but hated the nonsense of an ending and some of the terrible dialogue and absolutely loathed the Beach. Loved the book of the Beach though. Fantastic book.

Looks pretty sweet! only 6 months late, but anyone know the music played over the video in the first link?

It's from 'Requiem For A Dream' but it sounds like a more orchestrated version (it's not on the soundtrack and I haven't seen the film).

I can't listen to it at work, but from that description it does indeed sound like the re-arranged version of the Requiem for a Dream main theme. It was done for the trailer of the second Lord of the Rings film, as I recall.

nah, not the music from the official trailer - the trailer with Danny Boyle talking about it.

cheers though!

Ah, sorry, misread your question.

Don't know about that one, but it sounds more like some electronica rather than a soundrack. I'd like to know too.

Curious that in this trailer there appears to be no sign or mention of the "first" ship that vanished 7 years ago and suddenly reappears while this crew are on their mission. It was mentioned in the original synopsis but perhaps they're trying to get away from further Event Horizon comparisons.

Curious that in this trailer there appears to be no sign or mention of the "first" ship that vanished 7 years ago and suddenly reappears while this crew are on their mission. It was mentioned in the original synopsis but perhaps they're trying to get away from further Event Horizon comparisons.

I'd imagine it's merely because that's intended to be a twist, with the neither audience nor the crew initially knowing anything about a first ship.

Love the music. Does it have a name?

The score became a cult hit. The trailer for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers used a remixed version of the track "Lux Aeterna", re-recorded with a full orchestra and choir. The song, named "Requiem for a Tower", was made just for the trailer (it was not featured in either Requiem for a Dream or The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers) and was composed by Simone Benyacar, Dan Nielsen, and Veigar Margeirsson. In October 2006, the cue was released on the iTunes album release from Corner Stone Cues, titled "Requiem for a Tower". This song has a strong presence in Internet culture, as it has been used countless times for fan videos and trailers.

That's from Wikipedia. As for the trailer, it looks truly excellent - the US trailer's a lot better than the international one, but they both make the film look pretty spectacular. Hopefully, we'll see some intelligent big budget hard SF on screen.

I'd imagine it's merely because that's intended to be a twist, with the neither audience nor the crew initially knowing anything about a first ship.

It's mentioned in the synopsis and was part of the bootleg trailer. Curious.

This is a new international trailer, narrated in part by a character on the show called Kaneda. Now I might be wrong as I've not seen the movie but having a character narrate a trailer and then giving away MAJOR spoilers regarding the character/plot points seems kind of daft to me.

Be forewarned on this folks, you could potentially be seeing huge plot points and revelations in this trailer.

http://www.sunshinedna.com/videos/21

MAJOR spoilers based on that clip/trailer.

Judging from this trailer I'd say it's safe to assume that Kaneda dies, unless I'm mistaking him being hit by a wall of fire and his hand starting to melt as a positive aspect in his life. We also know that at least some of the rest of the crew die given that everyone alive seems to think there are four people on board. I've a feeling the other international trailer mentions a crew of eight. We know the crew change trajectory to find this ship, we know something comes on board to try and stop the mission. Anymore trailer and we'd not need to see the film at all.

Unless this trailer was made by the same people who make the promos for Lost and they're utterly misrepresenting the film/plot.