rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Spunky Monkey

Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition Announced

Citadel predates Exile on the raising / lowering water thing! Both awesome games in their time, too (and Exile is still awesome today).

I thought of Citadel, but couldn't remember if you could actually alter the water level.

I thought of Citadel, but couldn't remember if you could actually alter the water level.

You had to, either to complete it or to get one of the crowns. I forget which. I sort of remember where the crown was. Off to the left down the well and through the wall.

It was the first game I ever completed. I think I might use that smiley with the hearts now. :huh:

There.

Really enjoying this.

It's really, really Prince of Persia though, isn't it? I've not played the original TR so I don't know how faithful this is and which way the influence is going, but at times this plays just like POPSOT with a reduced moveset. Even the sound effect you get when palming along ledges sounds identical.

The level design is really cool and there some lovely room layouts. I especially loved the Atlas trial on the second level -

it was so intimidating as you go in and tiptoe up a big gully which is visibly just large enough to accommodate that massive globe which the Atlas statue is supporting.

The Edge review mentioned that the grappling hook felt wrong and was poorly imlpemented, but I thought it was fine. The icon that comes up to signpost grappleable rings is kind of ugly, but the basic mechanics are identical to that of swing-ropes. Less impressive is the fact that I've had a couple of camera-related deaths, as the view decides to snap around to a new position just as I go for a leap. Sometimes I wish Lara had the Dagger of Time.

"Somefin abaught a key... 'ye can't shoot straight ye big-titted bitch.'"

Which is what I meant. PlayStation classics hold up; many SNES games are timeless; recent efforts are...? There isn't enough creative energy around today - enough brilliant eyes for design, and where there is, publishers stifle it.

What a load of crap. Frankly, we've never had it so good. Developers could only dream of doing half the stuff they're pulling off nowadays, they've got freedom and the technical ability to create games that dwarf anything from the past, and more so in a tight market space it's the big ideas that win over.

Less impressive is the fact that I've had a couple of camera-related deaths, as the view decides to snap around to a new position just as I go for a leap. Sometimes I wish Lara had the Dagger of Time.

This. Possible the game's biggest flaw, but that's not saying much since there aren't many others. I can't even begin to comprehend how many times i've pressed what I thought was completely the right direction to jump off while wall-grapple swinging, only to jump completely the wrong direction. Maybe it's because i'm using a keyboard, but still, it's REALLY fucking annoying when it happens for the tenth time in a row. It always feels like a really unfair death. Apart from that, the only other bit I can think of which really got my goat was

during the second to last level, in the Lost City, where you have to ascend the pyramid, and there's a bit on a thin ledge where two fire-spitting bats come out the wall and attack you. The fact I was playing on Hard meant that they literally bombarded me with fireballs before I could even get up again and dodge, resulting ultimately in Lara getting knocked off the side into the lava. Then there was a really hard jumping/wall-swinging section after that too. Took way more attempts than it should have, and felt really unfair.

Apart from that, it's probably one of the best games i've played in a long time, though it's probably run its course with me now, more or less. Just a couple more time trials to do before i've done everything there is to do :rolleyes:

I really hope with the Legend sequel they follow a similar route - a more puzzle-based game, with perhaps a bit more combat (though not much) than Anniversary. Oh, and wall-swinging tweaked or removed, please. I suppose I wouldn't mind a TR2 remake either, since at the time that was my favourite Tomb Raider.

during the second to last level, in the Lost City, where you have to ascend the pyramid, and there's a bit on a thin ledge where two fire-spitting bats come out the wall and attack you. The fact I was playing on Hard meant that they literally bombarded me with fireballs before I could even get up again and dodge, resulting ultimately in Lara getting knocked off the side into the lava. Then there was a really hard jumping/wall-swinging section after that too. Took way more attempts than it should have, and felt really unfair.

Christ YES!

I was only playing on medium(on PS2) and fucking hell that bit was retardly hard because of the camera.

Been playing this and enjoying it. Just got to the t-rex (how far in am I now btw?)and am having difficulty with it. I've pretty much worked out how to do it but seeing as I've only got the two pistols for ammo I'm finding it a bit of a nightmare. Question is should I have found better weapons by now or have I missed them completely?

I'm playing it on PC, having previously sampled the PS2 version, and everything looks lovely and sharp. It seems more glitchy than on PS2 however, as I've seen a few instances of the camera losing it when making a wall-grab, or Lara getting stuck on the scenery when falling, or repeatedly failing to pull up onto a ledge/ do the walk-off and grab maneuver. Takes the shine off it a little, unfortunately.

Loving the atmosphere, and so many memories rush back from completing the original (which was much more of a tense, testing affair).

Been playing this and enjoying it. Just got to the t-rex (how far in am I now btw?)and am having difficulty with it. I've pretty much worked out how to do it but seeing as I've only got the two pistols for ammo I'm finding it a bit of a nightmare. Question is should I have found better weapons by now or have I missed them completely?

I think it's possible to find a shotgun prior to the Trex fight, but I certainly didn't find it. You shouldn't worry though - the fight is more about getting the thing enraged, and the pistols are better for that. You're less than 1/4 into the game...

Man, this thing is a glitchy, buggy mess on PC. I'm not sure if it's to do with the commentary, but I just tried doing time trial on St Francis' Folly (the best, but longest level ;) ) and with one more room to get the key from, just after a small cut-scene involving shooting the bit on the wall of the Atlas room, the game froze - well, Lara just stood there jiggling about. The time trial time disappeared, and I couldn't move or look around but I could pause, quit etc. I then did Colliseum with no problems but I just went back to trying Folly and the same thing happened after a cut scene but right near the beginning. I think both times I was listening to the commentary at the time, not that it's a good excuse for the game to lock up. :rolleyes:

They really need to release a patch for this... Especially since there's a few other glitches I can think of that almost break the game. I've been hit by something, fallen a long distance then have Lara 'right herself' about a metre from the floor meaning I didn't get any fall damage, which i'm sure in some cases could be a game-breaking flaw considering the checkpoint system. Also, there's a bit in Egypt which is almost impossible on PC where you can't land on the poles between the crushing walls unless they're fully open, giving you in reality about a millisecond to react, and even then only if Lara doesn't stumble on the pole when she lands (in which case it's actually impossible to have enough time). That section took me around 100 attempts the first time, no joke. Not sure if it's the same on PS2. PATCH THIS GAME PLS

Also, there's a bit in Egypt which is almost impossible on PC where you can't land on the poles between the crushing walls unless they're fully open, giving you in reality about a millisecond to react, and even then only if Lara doesn't stumble on the pole when she lands (in which case it's actually impossible to have enough time). That section took me around 100 attempts the first time, no joke. Not sure if it's the same on PS2. PATCH THIS GAME PLS

Trust me its there. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... "Kold" Kin Kade... How did they get away with that one then?

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about then... That's quite shocking. Did they have these names in the original? I only remember Pierre and Larson.

It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about then... That's quite shocking. Did they have these names in the original? I only remember Pierre and Larson.

Nah, the hench black guy was just "Shotgun guy" so basically unnamed, but (natch) he used to use shotgun as his weapon of choice, not the knife... Likewise, Larson used a pistol or revolver or something in TR1 instead of the shotgun. The Kid is still called "Kid" like he was in the original game, so obviously they couldn't be bothered to conjure up a racially dubious nickname for him. :)

Natla was the same obviously. I think those are the only characters in the game... Oh, and there was a random cowboy character who was around during the later levels of TR1 who was unnamed, according to the commentary in Anniversary, if I remember correctly. They merged him and Larson for the remake though since they were pretty similar anyway.

Natla was the same obviously. I think those are the only characters in the game... Oh, and there was a random cowboy character who was around during the later levels of TR1 who was unnamed, according to the commentary in Anniversary, if I remember correctly. They merged him and Larson for the remake though since they were pretty similar anyway.

I thought that was Larson;

'I've still got a pain in my Brain from ya - and it's tellling me funny ideas now, like to shoot you to hell!'

I can't remember another bad guy...

I finished this the other day and really enjoyed it, the only couple of bits that diminished my enjoyment of the game were the sheer number of instant deaths

in egypt and atlantis

and the perpendicular wall run jump controls were hit or miss. Oh that and

the boss fights were neutered, becoming generic patterned weak-point fights and/or QTE events. I dunno, they were well implemented and interesting, I just liked the sheer panic brought on by the suddenness of the original fights. Also, colour me immensely disappointed that you don't properly get to fight Natla's goons. The regular enemies suffered a bit because of this as well, since everything could be quite easily dispatched with the pistols and a well timed headshot. In fact, I never felt the urge to use another weapon until the Natla fight.

But still, what a game, the redesigned levels were superb, and I was surprised how beautiful this looked for a ps2 game. Some of the textures were fantastic. I think the most impressive thing though was the sense of scale and depth. VEry very enjoyable. :)

Yea, I'm sure that was always Larson.

I seem to remember Toby saying in the commentary that you killed Larson fairly early on (before Greece I think, or possibly just before Egypt) and the similar character who popped up later during the Lost City was simply a "random cowboy character" who was very similar to Larson anyway. I may be getting confused though, but i'm sure I remember him saying that. And yes, it was disappointing not to get to fight Natla's goons... Particularly the bit

just before the second to last level outside of the Pyramid, which seemed geared up to be a boss battle area, but instead we simply got a bit of a lame interactive cut scene in which the two enemies killed each other off anyway.

Time constraints perhaps, who knows.

I've also been replaying the Obelisk of Khamoon to death to try and beat the time trial (the fucking irritating glitch with the crushing walls/pole screws up my run every time) and i've noticed a really long bit of corridor which is oddly completely lacking in, well, anything. Perhaps they meant to put more traps in, but didn't want to risk re-using the same traps too many times, or ran out of development time to implement them. It's clear they sacrificed the bug-testing time anyway, how that pole glitch ever got through testing i'll never know. I think i've decided to give up attempting the level again until they release a suitable patch :lol:

I seem to remember Toby saying in the commentary that you killed Larson fairly early on (before Greece I think, or possibly just before Egypt) and the similar character who popped up later during the Lost City was simply a "random cowboy character" who was very similar to Larson anyway.

Oooooh yea, sorry I forgot all about that random cowboy guy... there's him, the guy on skates and someone else who you have to kill to get your other guns back from on the last level.

You do kill Larson at the end of Egypt, which is when he does his "I got a pain in my brain" speech.

Finally did the Cistern level today, can't believe how long that shit took.

Has anyone else noticed the game clock is a big fat liar? I started a new level (tomb of Qualopec) after dinner played through it yada yada and it says it took me over 2 hours to do so, when it was barely over an hour ago I was eating chile. And I was definitely at the start of the level, no mid point save or anything. No big deal, though.

Some of the red herrings are pretty fiendish, although it's a slight shame as I have experienced (as have others in the thread) situations where Lara won't grab hold of something she's supposed to. So I'm worried later in the game it'll happen again and I'll not be sure if it's a red herring or if the "grab" is just being screwy.

Also I can't pick up shotgun shells, I have 32 is that maximum capacity I take it? The health recharge after dying at a checkpoint is a real life saver, after being initialy worried about not have enough health packs - I have yet to use one. Have a nice wee nest egg of them saved up.

I liked the T-Rex fight, he looks a lot more ferocious than he does on the back of the box, that's for sure.

Personally I think this game has the best platforming ever. Really enjoying it.

Has anyone else noticed the game clock is a big fat liar? I started a new level (tomb of Qualopec) after dinner played through it yada yada and it says it took me over 2 hours to do so, when it was barely over an hour ago I was eating chile. And I was definitely at the start of the level, no mid point save or anything. No big deal, though.

It's clocking up your TOTAL game time, not the time it took you to do that level.

Particularly the bit

just before the second to last level outside of the Pyramid, which seemed geared up to be a boss battle area, but instead we simply got a bit of a lame interactive cut scene in which the two enemies killed each other off anyway.

Time constraints perhaps, who knows.

I think they did that because

She'd just killed Larson, practically in cold blood, and felt a considerable amount of guilt because of it. For her to go from that to just killing two more guys just to get her guns back wouldn't make much sense regarding her current moral compass.

I've been playing this on my PC today and it's fab.

It looks gorgeous, plays fantastically with the 360 pad, and it's actually full of tomb raiding. It also plays much better than the original, the TR:L game mechanics work really well.

Indeed. The only bit in the game that really pissed me off. The rest was fairly easy.

I found out you can actually jump over it. Well, on the way back, anyway - never bothered trying it on the way to the switch, since now i've tried so many times, i've mastered the normal way to within a few failed attempts each time.

The way back screwed up about three perfect time trial runs though, which pissed me off - but after I figured out you can jump it, it was fairly easy. Just make sure you leap exactly at the last possible second (pretty much as Lara is slipping off the platform) and as the doors are fully closed. You should slip through just as they are opening, and provided you mash jump and/or interact, you'll grab the edge of the other side no problem. For future reference, like - if you decide to try and nail the time trials you'll need to know this.

And to better illustrate what i'm talking about:

I think they did that because

She'd just killed Larson, practically in cold blood, and felt a considerable amount of guilt because of it. For her to go from that to just killing two more guys just to get her guns back wouldn't make much sense regarding her current moral compass.

Fair enough, and I agree there - I just didn't see the need to put an interactive cut scene there - it's not like they couldn't have had a boss battle where, when the goons are defeated, they aren't dead, but dying - then have that cut scene at the end of the fight. In fact that would have been near perfect - like the t-rex fight, with a small interactive cut scene at the end which details the actual demise of the boss. The whole situation just seemed really anti-climatic.

I just gave my forehead a great big slap for that one.

To be fair, that comes as a revelation to me too. I was thinking the same as you initially. Slightly odd though, since the times come up that way, implying the completion time for just that level, when you go to select "replay level" afterwards.

WOAH TRIPLE POST