Sign in to follow this  
Spunky Monkey

Tomb Raider Anniversary Edition Announced

I think my only major grip with Anniversary was the content/levels they cut (or drastically changed) from the original game. For the most part, it was a good, modern take on TR1 but there were times when I felt like shouting "No, you're doing it wrong!" at the developers.

I'm torn over it. Some of the levels were quite clever even when cut. (The Collusieum was clever in that you end up approaching it from the opposite direction.) But the PSOne version does oddly enough have bigger levels. Both are worth owning and playing because of this.

But the PSOne version does oddly enough have bigger levels.

How do you mean? Anniversary has a grander take on pretty much everything from what I can remember, the waterfall being a key example.

Te temple levels had a lot removed from it, as did a lot of the other levels. Although you could argue it made for a more streamlined experience with less faffing about. And yes, the new waterfall is much better than the old one. The new Rex level....less so.

The Cistern level was much smaller than the PS1 original, and I sensed a few corners being cut on other levels too. But it's nothing that spoils the experience, it might even be better for it.

Also, everything seemed much bigger in the original because the levels were made from GIANT CUBES and the draw distance was about ten metres. And we were all shorter, or something.

The 'cutscenes to introduce bosses' thing is literally the only thing I would have changed about the remake.

Same here.

With regards to the technical limitations of the first game - I was surprised and amused to discover in the commentary of TR:A that the Lost Valley was NOT supposed to be inside a massive cave originally, despite the constant darkness. It was supposed to be outside all along. ;)

Massive thread bump!

Started this again last night now the game is backwards compatible on the Bone. Only played the first hour or so, but I'd forgotten just how good it is. After a short introduction to the controls, this pretty much dumps you in the middle of cave and let's you figure things out for yourself. And it's refreshing not to have a game hand hold you through its platforming bits. You misjudge a jump? You die. No regenerating health bars. No tips of you get stuck.

I realise they've probably timed this release because Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out soon. But this has gone the opposite and actually put me off the new game. This is Tomb Raider to me. And between this and Legend, I'm really looking forward to getting back to the classic games. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Massive thread bump!

Started this again last night now the game is backwards compatible on the Bone. Only played the first hour or so, but I'd forgotten just how good it is. After a short introduction to the controls, this pretty much dumps you in the middle of cave and let's you figure things out for yourself. And it's refreshing not to have a game hand hold you through its platforming bits. You misjudge a jump? You die. No regenerating health bars. No tips of you get stuck.

I realise they've probably timed this release because Shadow of the Tomb Raider is out soon. But this has gone the opposite and actually put me off the new game. This is Tomb Raider to me. And between this and Legend, I'm really looking forward to getting back to the classic games. 

This is pretty much how I feel about the very first Tomb Raider - that original Core Design 1996 debut still outshines even Anniversary for me.

I recently replayed it with @Illyria and despite being over 20 years old, the magic was still there. I don't think any other game in the series has quite matched that game's feeling of isolation and sense of exploration which, to me, are really what should be at the core of a Tomb Raider game. That said, I think Anniversary is probably the best of those original Crystal Dynamics games. It makes a few missteps here and there but its still a lot of fun.

I also enjoy the newer ones for what they are but with the realisation that they'll probably never be everything I personally want from a TR game.

• Upvote 2

Posted this in the BC thread 

Anniversary is still really good, it shows it’s age in places but after 5 mins I was absorbed. There’s some things the original did better, like the T-Rex, and it’s a travesty that the 360 version is missing graphical effects that even the ps2 version had, but it’s a great game and a steal at the sale price. 

I've finished Peru and moved onto Greece. I've been playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy too, and it's still so easy to jump into this despite comparing it to a far more technically accomplished game, good gameplay never gets old! the soundtrack is wonderful too. I'm still a big fan of the modern TR games and Shadow is my most anticipated game this year, I've even paid the extra tenner to play it two days early and from the previews it does seem to have that sense of wonder and adventure that was a core feature of the original games :omg:

3 hours ago, Sie said:

This is pretty much how I feel about the very first Tomb Raider - that original Core Design 1996 debut still outshines even Anniversary for me.

I recently replayed it with @Illyria and despite being over 20 years old, the magic was still there. I don't think any other game in the series has quite matched that game's feeling of isolation and sense of exploration which, to me, are really what should be at the core of a Tomb Raider game. That said, I think Anniversary is probably the best of those original Crystal Dynamic's games. It makes a few missteps here and there but its still a lot of fun.

I also enjoy the newer ones for what they are but with the realisation that they'll probably never be everything I personally want from a TR game.

Exactly how I feel also. What I wouldn't give for a new game (doesn't even have to be Tomb Raider) with the same sense of venturing alone into old tombs and exploring them, killing the odd bat or tiger or dinosaur and prodding some ancient machinery.

The Souls games have some of that atmosphere but it's not really the same.

Having said that, Anniversary is indeed very good.

Uncharted: Lost Legacy had a real Tomb Raider (that is, nineties Tomb Raider) vibe in places. You're not alone, but the woman protagonist, ancient tombs, and titanic machines were all present and correct.

• Upvote 1

Isnt that what the mobile games, and other sideshow games are doing? I dont think that kind of game would sell to the audience that they want to reach - 6 mill +- or so

I see it more as a kind of submission to the fact that to sell that much, you have to cater to the COD crowd.