IGNORED

Goodbye to GAME's ten day rental

idiwa

Because you actually cared about what ? IDGI. Surely a returned game should have gone into the pre-owned bins. There was actually confirmation that this was Game's official policy when smoeone email some one serior enough to give that information a long time ago. Possibly even happened on the old Edge forums.

I suspect individual store manager saw thing differently, especially as it affected their bottomline.

There was no confirmation because thats the worst idea ever...

I buy a £39.99 title, take it back for a full refund, wait five minutes for it to put out as pre owned and then buy it for £29.97..... ive just saved a tenner on my brand new games...far too much room for abuse.

as much as everyone likes to hate on game this whole notion they sell second hand games is a bit far fetched, they dont run their shops for the like of people who want their games in a seal.if they have sealed copies yu will get one, if they dont because it has been 10 day returned or the box was on the shelf , what do you expect?

you cannot afford to write off every title that gets returned as faulty.how many other companies offer a 10 day return ? how many other companies wouldnt give you an ounce of hassle if you returned a faulty hardware 11 months into its life and wanted a full refund. They have a large customer base because they do actually provide a service which benefits teh customer. as bollocks as the company can be they do have a lot of plus sides that get overlooked regularly.

I expected them to do something in response to Sony's idea of pre-owned being a no-no; after all, if Game did keep the 10-day return policy going (post PS3 launch), then they wouldn't be able to sell the returned games (as they wouldn't be new and they wouldn't be allowed to sell as pre-owned, either).

Time for Gamestation to be a bit more vocal regarding their policy, I think.

I expected them to do something in response to Sony's idea of pre-owned being a no-no; after all, if Game did keep the 10-day return policy going (post PS3 launch), then they wouldn't be able to sell the returned games (as they wouldn't be new and they wouldn't be allowed to sell as pre-owned, either).

Time for Gamestation to be a bit more vocal regarding their policy, I think.

PS3 "no preowned" thing has been debunked, BTW.

Go and buy a Hitman or Tomb Raider for 360. It'll have the MS seal on it but won't be wrapped proper like. All DS games by Nintendo are sealed. Anyway, this has been covered many MANT times before.

360:(I rather not list +10 titles but heres a few)

Condemned

DOA4

Table Tennis

FF11

RR6

DS games:

The Rub Rabbits

Ace Attorney

All were sealed "proper-like". As in MS seal + wrapping. Or normal DS wrapping for the latters.

EDIT:I commented at the time around 360 launch to GAME myself, mind you. They said all 360 titles are and will be wrapped, was the word when I asked "can I have closed copies if possible" back in Dec. They've certainly stuck to it.

I have a irrational hatred of game actually. I dont know why. I think its the assumption on my part that they are robbing bastards with staff of lazy good for nothing student types.

Game and GameStation seem to be staffed by lazy, ignorant and unhelpful staff these days.

' date='Jun 9 2006, 12:39 PM' post='3136556']

Why can't you just use live items and put a security tag on it like HMV, Virgin, etc, etc. or even do the old Woolworths photocopied sleeve trick?

(Not you, personally!).

EDIT: PLUS surely it'll save GAME money to NOT break the original seal in the first place rather than: open, file, sell, add stickers...??

It just wouldn't work.

It's easier for Woolies as they only stock the major games, the Top 40. Game stock everything and that would be a nightmare.

Also, if someone nicked a more obscure game it would be gone BUT show up on the till as being in stock. When I worked there we'd often have just 1 or 2 copies of the smaller games, after a while. They get restocked once sold. If the game is nicked and not sold it won't get restocked. That'd be a shame. Hope that makes sense!

The theft from Game, when I was there, was shocking. The thieves are very crafty and very quick. The old big box PC games were a favourite and we often ended up selling a game to a customer that a thief had gutted and put back on the shelf!

Cheers

There are always exceptions that prove the rule - that could be you!

My local Game has taken to shutting at random times, when they feel like it!! I was in there on a Tuesday at 5:37pm. I was the only person in the shop and was happily flicking through the pre-owned. A bloke comes over and say 'Excuse me, we're closing now'. I said 'Oh, you normally close at 6pm, though?' 'Yeah, we tend to close earlier on Tuesdays'.

Hmmmmmmm.

I bought Tomb Raider for the 360 from GAME a week ago. It's shit. I was planning to take it back on Monday. This was from the branch in Canary Wharf, London.

I did notice the receipt didn't have the 10-day thing advertised on the back but thought nothing of it. Now I'm worried. Will I still be able to take this back on Monday?

Other than for sale items, I have no idea why anyone would buy from Game in this day and age.

I'm surprised the ten day return scheme lasted as long as it did. If it's as popular as it seems Game must either have a lot of "faulty" software to return or they must re-sell a lot of "used" software as new. Either way, it always seemed like an unworkable scheme to me.

There was no confirmation because thats the worst idea ever...

I buy a £39.99 title, take it back for a full refund, wait five minutes for it to put out as pre owned and then buy it for £29.97..... ive just saved a tenner on my brand new games...far too much room for abuse.

as much as everyone likes to hate on game this whole notion they sell second hand games is a bit far fetched, they dont run their shops for the like of people who want their games in a seal.if they have sealed copies yu will get one, if they dont because it has been 10 day returned or the box was on the shelf , what do you expect?

you cannot afford to write off every title that gets returned as faulty.how many other companies offer a 10 day return ? how many other companies wouldnt give you an ounce of hassle if you returned a faulty hardware 11 months into its life and wanted a full refund. They have a large customer base because they do actually provide a service which benefits teh customer. as bollocks as the company can be they do have a lot of plus sides that get overlooked regularly.

Well cry me a fucking river. I didn't come up with the stupid 10 day return policy, they did. You're absolutely right, it's open to abuse - but Game aren't the ones getting fucked over on it are they - it's the poor old consumer getting the shitty second hand gme that's been sold as "new"

what worries me is that I'm sure that part of the reason the Uk games retail market is very healthy is because the two major game retailers offer a returns policy. If Gs follow Games example then I for one will cut back my game buying drastically and only go for games that I am very sure of. I'm sure many will feel the same.

aye.

receipt for my intended-to-be-returned upon completion onimusha 4 bought yesterday, still promotes the 10 day return policy. so I KNOW i am safe. if they try denying there will be hellfire in that shop!

EDIT - success - not even questioned

What other choice do they have though. What would you do it you sold something "as new" it got returned "now not new" but you had to take it back?

They are selling second-hand goods as new. That's all kinds of illegal, and given the often appalling condition of those second-hand goods that they were dishonestly selling as new it's actually rather impressive that Trading Standards hasn't ripped them a new one.
I'm sure you'd bin it and get BRAND NEW COPIES. Yes!
Or maybe he wouldn't dishonestly sell second-hand goods as brand new. They could still have operated their returns policy provided they made it clear which stock was second-hand or graded stock.

PS3 "no preowned" thing has been debunked, BTW.

Find me a single instance where it was. Whenever Sony were asked about whether they wanted to kill the sale of second-hand/preowned games (which, like most content owners, they do - they just can't) they studiously avoided mentioning second-hand/preowned games and instead said they weren't planning on wedding game discs to specific consoles or preventing people playing discs on the consoles of friends or family-members.

Unfortunately, most videogames journalists are nothing of the sort so English comprehension is an area in which they're sadly lacking. Otherwise they might have noticed that Sony chose to avoid the question and instead demolish a strawman proposition.

Sorry I'm late.

Just wanted to comment on the "Inability to alphabetise" comments earlier.

When I worked at Game, we were 2 doors away from EB, so we were in direct competition. One of my jobs was to go round to EB every day and note their prices. I had to do the top 20 games, and I found it time consuming and frustrating. There appeared to be no logical order to the location of the games. Something like Zelda would be easy enough to find, because there would be a big display, but individual titles could be anywhere.

Then EB bought game, and one of the first things we had to do was "theme" the stock. It was a nightmare.

Turns out that in 6 months of visiting their store almost every day, I'd failed to see that there was indeed an organised layout of the games - they were not just stuck anywhere, in any order, there was a theme, of vertical stripes of games in Genre order. Not only that, but there were genres within genres.

So, from left to right you would see a vertical strip of kids games, leading on to comic racing games, then regular racing, then formula 1, then sports, then flight sims (ww2 etc) moving on to flight sims (present day), then flight sims (Star Trek syle) then war, then fighting then action. It was absolute bollocks, and made it impossible to find anything you wanted. Only the staff would know exactly where to find a copy of a specific title, because only they would be able to confidently explain how the stupid theming actually worked.

EB originally started out selling greetings cards. They always appeared to me (especially as someone who worked for Game when it was a great company run by enthusiasts) as a bunch of businessmen who chose video games as a way to make money. If the bottom fell out of the market, I was sure at the time that EB would just relauch as a designer kitchen outlet or something My old Area Manager once called our entire customer base "cretins" because they spent all their time indoors playing with video games.

(For the sake of fairness, I haven't worked there in over 2 years, and I know the Area Manager concerned does not work for the company any more).

You guys are actually glad this is ending?

No matter how much time I may spend away, it only takes a few seconds in Discussion to remember what a bizarre and slightly obsessive mindset a lot of you have.

You guys are actually glad this is ending?

No matter how much time I may spend away, it only takes a few seconds in Discussion to remember what a bizarre and slightly obsessive mindset a lot of you have.

My feelings about this is that 'It was good while it lasted'. No-one should actually have the right mind to go apeshit at this decision because it was always going to be abused anyway.

My feelings about this is that 'It was good while it lasted'. No-one should actually have the right mind to go apeshit at this decision because it was always going to be abused anyway.

Of course, but for people to be glad of the fact that they no longer have a safety net from shit games just completely bemuses me, even moreso when the reason is because they want their games in mint condition. I just can't understand that viewpoint, I think it's way too warped to be understandable.

Of course, but for people to be glad of the fact that they no longer have a safety net from shit games just completely bemuses me, even moreso when the reason is because they want their games in mint condition. I just can't understand that viewpoint, I think it's way too warped to be understandable.

I don't have an Xbox 360 yet either, nor have I even bought a game for £30 or above for a good while. That'll probably be it.