rllmuk
Rowan Morrison

Audio Club

52... I was going for 365. Then I ran out of soundcloud space around 190-something I could open a second account I guess?

22 hours ago, Dimahoo said:

Some of us are doing the 52 tracks a year thing and barely making that!

It kinda died off a bit.

Oh wow. If I get to the end of just one project I'll be winning.

On 08/12/2019 at 16:49, Dimahoo said:

Some of us are doing the 52 tracks a year thing and barely making that!

It kinda died off a bit.

I'm amazed I only missed one week and that was because I had an ear infection. It's been a fantastic project.

Here’s my soundcloud page. I’m doing the guitars and musical stuff, other people might sing or play a part on some. 

https://m.soundcloud.com/john-lappin

It’s a very varied mix of solo stuff, bands and various recordings that vary in quality from knowingly shit to genuine attempts. 

Thinking of maybe doing some more stuff soon, it’s been 10 years since I last recorded anything. Would be interested to know what people think of what’s on there. 

• Upvote 1

Finally finished this 52 tracks thing with all weeks complete - if a bit late. Not all great production values given experience and time but much was learnt. These were the last two..

One dub techno....

And one moody techno...

Here were the rest....mostly techno, dub but a few analog soundtracks and hauntology.

https://streak.club/u/dimahoo

One of them (Timers I) should get released on a Hello Strange compilation if all goes to plan...which is cool.

• Upvote 3

Been having a go at mixing again. Making some mistakes but actually enjoying the process now :)

• Upvote 1

This set has a lot of weird politics and drama going on, but probably more important is that the final track is a granular synthesis remix of Diddy Kong Racing, for no other reason than I respect anything with a badger in it. That may in turn be a reference to Bodger and Badger, since the products of granular synth are the audio equivalent of mashed potato.

Anyone that sits through more than ten episodes of Bodger automatically gets a GCSE in Social Work, but this show had a point. One of the episodes has Bodger convince Badger to eat a bannana without headbutting to death into similarly styled mash. The meaning of this is research shows right hemisphere 'evil twins' are much more conformist and subject to peer pressure, so while the performer came to terms with their own homosexuality, their hemisphere twin was stuck in past culture and would literally punch him in the face live on television for bringing up this subject. Disney does an analysis of right-hemisphere content using the AI tools, and explore this subject matter via the character Zaphod in their own remake of Hitch-Hiker's Guide. One of the songs in this is an extraction of information found in one of my compositions, including lyrics and attempts to use a singing voice. Unlike myself, the twin has a rather hardcore addiction to 4Chan trolling due to the fact that Youtube Poop is also the psychological equivalent of mashed potato. The stuff they say isn't true, but merely the standard cult language found on the main 4Chan forum, which I never spent more than 5 minutes occasionally reading due to the somewhat repetitve mashed potato stylings. Disney like to bring this up to show how much effort is sometimes required to not be anti-social, that this doesn't just happen like magic and get delivered to you by Twitter or Snapchat, but you have to actually reflect on the nature of society and decide who you want to be, and why that is. People make the same sort of choice to be villains though, so really this whole 'self improvement' lark is some kinf of 90's civil war, that a lot of kids don't need any more. Sorry about that.

Just to say I've foolishly been doing the weekly tracks thing again this year - https://weeklybeats.com/vimster

Trying to be a little more consistent with the style and work through towards something rather just trying to cover all bases. I'll definitely not be doing a track every week, but this last couple of years I've never been so productive, so something must be working.

My band normally plays in the pub on the last friday of the month. With lockdown we've been recording covers at home, and posting it to facebook instead. I'm not strong singer like the other two are, and I'm not brave enough to post something done live, so I did this instead. It's a cover of 'There is a light that never goes out', but imagine if the pet shop boys or the human league had got hold of it first. There's a psychedelic video to go with it, which is on Youtube, but I think it's got ads on it as it got claimed instantly when I put it up. Here's the soundcloud version, which also sounds a little better.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure how this will embed, because it's from Facebook but this week I asked the band to do a mashup of No Surprises by Radiohead and Royal by Lorde. I'd seen a video mashup on youtube which mostly worked, but because we can sing it, we've got much more control over making them fit together. I'm really pleased with the way this came out.

On 06/05/2020 at 17:44, U2031 said:

My band normally plays in the pub on the last friday of the month. With lockdown we've been recording covers at home, and posting it to facebook instead. I'm not strong singer like the other two are, and I'm not brave enough to post something done live, so I did this instead. It's a cover of 'There is a light that never goes out', but imagine if the pet shop boys or the human league had got hold of it first. There's a psychedelic video to go with it, which is on Youtube, but I think it's got ads on it as it got claimed instantly when I put it up. Here's the soundcloud version, which also sounds a little better.

This is madness :) !

• Upvote 1

Rediscovered my love or recording during lockdown, which isn't always easy with two 5 years olds in the house!

Somehow seem to have recorded 18 cover versions in 2 mmonths.

This bit of Vulfpeck is the one I'm happiest with, and certainly took the most work!

Haven't managed to finish a song for almost two years, but got cracking again last week and finally got one done nice and quickly:

• Upvote 1

On 19/07/2020 at 09:42, chris on the moon said:

Can anyone recommend some VST compressors with good default settings?

I've been struggling with compression for ages.

Most will do the trick. What sort of thing are you trying to do? Compression is one of those things that, once it clicks, seems really obvious and you find you can use anything.

I use Fabfilter Pro-C 2, has the basics but you can get at more complexities if necessary, and has good visual feedback. It is a paid one though.