Audio Club

Rowan Morrison

Better start looking for a new place to put your tracks:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/12/soundshroud/

Soundcloud has been in financial doldrums for some time now. they had a big infusion of capital in March but looks like they're really in the toilet now, with only enough cash to get them into the autumn. They just laid off 40% of staff, and the rest are feeling pretty low with some just leaving. Probably didn't help they have been trying to compete with Spotify in recent months, a really stupid move, frankly.

I hope someone decent picks it up, or a viable alternative comes along, because Soundcloud is super useful for throwing tracks up and sharing. They used to be great for us musicians to manage and share our music but their shift to a streaming service has got user's backs up.

I haven't liked Soundcloud for years, mainly because it was a complete arse on mobile for a long time. Has anyone had much experience with clyp.it? It looks decent and the free tier is generous enough, but I don't know how much staying power it's liable to have. I generally just head to Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/07/2017 at 20:23, Mentazm said:

5 years ago it was an amazing place with a great community. I gave up on it about 3 years back when they just decided to let fake accounts, spammers and pay for plays/follows take over. Shame.

Yeah, RLLMUK isn't what it used to be.

Title: Slicky
Year: 2009
Format: Korg DS-10 / Thinkpad T41 / XP / Audacity
Description: Motown Transformer angst

Notes: This track became Bad Seed, which was covered as Slow Hands... although I'm still not sure who One Direction are. My girlfriends daughter was into them.

Title: Bumps
Year: 2009
Format: Korg DS-10 / Thinkpad T41 / XP / Audacity
Description: Inspector Gadget interrogating Clark Kent

Notes: Artpop got described by analysts as being barnhouse crossed with Skrillex? Prior to going out with my first girlfriend at age 7 she used to get sweaty hands during country dancing. I didn't know enough about holding hands to be entirely sure, until she sent me a valentines card. Later at age 11 my gay friend Andrew forced me to be a butch and ask out my crush Valerie.

Fun Fact about Slow Hands:

You're allowed to break copyright for purposes of parody or satire; I have deformed muscles in my hands and can't touch type like my sister (which is like making a Hawkins song called Lazy Legs). But I did train myself up since the age of 5 and can just get inside the WPM (word per minute) of professional typists now, but not in the proper hand position since the muscle is weirdly shaped.

After using freeware plugins for years, this last 12 months has seen me buy a couple of VSTs. Not going mad, though. Did pick up Arturia's V Collection 5 the other week for £200 and I have to say it's superb. 17 synths and keyboards including Moog Modular and ARP 2600. After watching a Moog Modular tutorial I'm well up for working on some patches. The sequencer on that thing is amazing considering it's an 8-step system. You can get really complex stuff going. Generally the instruments are pretty easy on the CPU, except maybe the Matrix-12. It also came on the most luxurious USB stick I've ever seen, with the gubbins embedded in a block of solid glass. Felt very classy.

Probably not much use to anyone wanting a hyper-modern sound but so far I'm very impressed.

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 20:51, U2031 said:

They look pretty good, might have to splash out when they're on offer again.

If you do a search about online you can find it in lots of places for about £200, far less than if you get it off the Arturia website.

• 2 weeks later...

Face of fire

The last one worthy of a redo. This is a sad, beatless, BOC inspired piece based around the riots of Croydon. (I couldn't use any real images as they're all copyrighted). And thats the last of my re edits i think. Everything else i post will be new.

New half-finished track alert. erm...Maybe..

So likely to be the intro of the first track of an album i'm writing which i hope may see the light of day next year. As some of you know i like to write TV themes and so this is going to be based all around that theme.

This is "Modern Electronics" - its unfinished but will likely be the intro.

First new track

On the sun

So this was written around an old radio ident which i faffed with. Its a vocal that eventually gets into a key i could then play against (not straight away - but you can hear it from about 1.25). Its a kinda retro space theme for not existant scene from a not-existant film which i enjoy writing.

Its name is based on a famous track (which anyone into drums may work out) and luckily i had a adequate photo i took as well.

Was tempted to make a little hardware setup based around the Elektron Digitakt and a couple of simple synths or simply to get an Analog 4 while they're cheap. Always had more fun tweaking stuff with knob per parameter rigs but not sure it would quite be the same with menu diving on the Elektrons and went with a cheaper option of updating to Komplete 11 Ultimate in the recent sale.

Molekular, Reaktor 6, Polyplex and Prism are all fantastic but really the CPU and latency get on my nerves on laptop. So after all that I'm down to a couple of ancient Waldorf plugins, AIR Hybrid and Uhe's Ace which I'm finding much more fun. Using native effects and simple instruments with barely any latency in Renoise is pretty close to a hardware setup. If anyone fancies update from Ultimate 2-9 for the same price it was in the last summer sale let me know.

I love the NI stuff.

I just render away if i start to use to much stuff. Some of it is buggy as well - so it can cause problems if your running to much at once. I've just finished working on another dub techno track and it errored in this mix...i left it in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Plug time again, I'm afraid. I've been beavering away and have a new 9-track album out this Friday called Evening Products. It's mainly melodic electronic music, nothing too twisty, pretty straight, that's how I've been feeling about music lately. Might try something a bit more ... different for the next release.

• 2 weeks later...

I suck at uploading.....this was Haze but soundcloud doesn't embed a deleted track.

Right so Remastered this to bring the sub down, add some more notes and make small changes here and there....

Another dub track but with me playing rhodes parts.

The is based on the theory of having a simple two note bassline, one chord and then chords off that with the rhodes doing all the work. 

I've tried to make the rhodes sound natural whilst giving atmosphere. I think i've also gone off scale a bit. As you do...in jazz.