rllmuk
Rowan Morrison

Audio Club

Where do you get your samples from?

In terms of all the individual sounds and instrument noises they are all from the sample libraries of either Ableton, GarageBand or one of the many plug-ins available (most probably V-Station) - nothing was 'sampled' as such from existing material whatsoever. In fact the only sample we actually used on the entire Macadamia album was a vocal snippet from 'Vomit' by MF Doom that was used as the basis of the hook of 'Gorillapox'. We tried to contact the record label about clearing it but they never responded.

Loving Ableton Live 6. Just upgraded from 5.

Can not believe they expect people to pay for operator and sampler though. ho hum. The new 'racks' feature lets you do fun things with a whole load of simplers though.

Loving Ableton Live 6. Just upgraded from 5.

Can not believe they expect people to pay for operator and sampler though. ho hum. The new 'racks' feature lets you do fun things with a whole load of simplers though.

Does this mean you'll finish Dr. King now?

Hello there peeps!

I'm currently doing a Reason Project as part of my uni course, and I've been playing around with this tune for a couple days. I've been using Reason on and off for about a year, but nothing more than dabbling really, so this is the first time I've made anything that's really near completion.

It's slow, chilled, with a few little touches thrown in. It's also got really nice,

thick bass so make sure your sub is on!

check it out

It's not really finished, but I'd like some creative feedback if you could. Would be much appreciated :(

Posted here only bceause it's just about the first thing I've semi-finished, even though it doesn't even end properly, and took about 30 minutes - can you tell? :)

EQing? What's EQing?

Thats not bad at all. Drums are especially nice. The synths sound a little bit 'meh' though, to be honest. With some work that could be very dope. Seriously, just leave it on your PC in a folder somewhere and re-visit it weeks, months, even fucking years from now and you'll be surprised how much you'll be all like "oh shit I should totally do this" before slamming some cool shit into it and tweaking all the things already in there to make it even cooler.

I find the more you leave a track, the more ideas you can bring to the table when you return, and the better equipped you will be to pump up what is already there.

Good work though. I like it.

Sorry if this is frowned on but I just stuck a new track up on my Myspace called Tripper, only a rough mix and looking to automate some stuff in Tools later on but it's pretty much done.

http://www.myspace.com/etchmyrtle

I would stick it on my webspace but Filezilla won't let me, I think it's because I'm on my Uni line rather than my Pipex account.

I was going to post something of my own, but then, I thought I should comment on other people's music before I did. Could we make it an unwritten rule, that if you post some music, you should leave some feedback for someone else? At least then we all know that people are listening.

Sorry if this is frowned on but I just stuck a new track up on my Myspace called Tripper, only a rough mix and looking to automate some stuff in Tools later on but it's pretty much done.

Just had a listen to this one, it's quite boards of Canada-ish. Nice stuff, but the beat is a tad tooooo syncopated for me, and maybe a tad too high in the mix. Otherwise, there are enough elements to keep it moving, quite a tight arrangement for a rough mix.

Finally got an excuse to bump this thread up.

Working on a remix for a friend's band at the moment. It's getting closer to some kind of conclusion but it needs some refinement. Paticularly the transitions and the end build. But it's a complete track which your welcome to listen to and offer your opinion if you fancy.

http://www.stratfordisland.com/brfuk/ttl_0...p1_notmixed.mp3

It's not mixed yet, so that can wait.

Oh it's Dance btw. Epic breaks, perhaps in the style of Hybrid. :)

Sounds very Nu-breaksish to me, if that's the right term. Like Adam Freeland stylee. It's a bit New-orderish as well, when the vocals come in. Nice production. What style is the original choon?

Heh. Being compared to Adam Freeland is compliment enough. Thank you.

The new-order ish would certainly come from the original. Who are an electro-synth-pop group. Kind of 80s with a 00s polish. The original can be heard on their myspace page http://www.myspace.com/trademarkonline I love it. Especially live when one of the guys is doing the 'waaahh' pad through a vocoder in the end proggy section.

My main thing I'm thinking of doing to tie it up are.... refining the transitions.....getting one of the original dancey section basslines into the epic build at the end and just general polish. Then do a final mixdown and get a friend to master it, preferably in a decent monitoring environment.

Only got a couple of weeks to sort it.

Sounds pretty cool to me. Could probably use some breaks here and there to hold interest. Drop in something unexpected for a bar or a drop or something.

Where do you get your acapellas?

I don't actually use acappelas, I prefer to make mashes from the recorded versions of things. If they work, they work, if they don't, they don't. I think you get a much better mix if they were supposed to mix.

That's nice overall diggler. Shades of AFX & U.Schnauss in the production but a bit 'straighter' with the composition.

It stays quite constant although it does evolve. Perhaps drop or change the drums for a few bars here and there?

toe the line wip 3

updated toe the line remix again. The very end is slightly messed up compared to how it originally was but it's more 'mixed' now. Still with a few issues I'd like to fix.

That's cool diggler, nicely produced. The arrangement could do with a little work, maybe drop the reverb in the middle section and reintroduce it again at the end with a more minor chord progression under pinning the main motifs.

I'm not exactly sure this is the right place for this, but I don't think there's anywhere else so here goes.

Always

This is one of the songs I have recently put on my computer. Nothing fancy, just me, my guitar and a karaoke mic, hence the bad quality. I've been writing songs for ages, just messing about really, never played or sang in front of anyone so I'm not really sure exactly how bad my voice is yet :) .

It doesn't really fit in with the stuff the rest of you seem to be doing, but as I said, there isn't really anywhere else. I have clicked on some stuff randomly throughout the thread but wouldn't like to comment as I don't know absolutely nothing about that kind of music. I did enjoy a few of the tunes though. ^_^

Any comments, tips or severe criticisms are welcome.

Ps. Sorry about the indirect link, I'll sort out a google page or something soon.

I finally got around to slapping up the two DJ sets I've done so far. While not strictly my own compositions I am slowly trying to push things into the remix/mashup arena. They mostly consist of left of centre hip hop, electronica and indie as well as a few classics. Any feedback would be most welcome.

DJ Sets

Very cool beans. The production is some sweet shit, especially the vocal/vocoder effects. The main pad melody is fantastic too. I love a slice of trance, especially breakbeat trance that's really, really phat. Lovely stuff.

smurfs

its something?

... ;) I quite like it! I like the beat, and the dry clap.

A remix I just did for the Akanda competition. A bit Lemon Jelly, a bit Bonobo, a bit Keith Harris.

Overall quite pleasing, the bass in particular was fantastic. It can be a bit hard to judge remixes when you have not heard the original due to the fact that you don't know what is sampled and what is new. However if I had to hazard a guess I would say the programmed drums, string/synth thing and brass pad are all your additions and frankly it shows. Particularly in the outro you should look to alter the rhythm of the break more significantly and program the sounds so that they are more in keeping with the original.