rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rex Grossman

June 06 Hip-Hop Recommendations

You need to add WeFunk to your list of radio shows. It's better than all the three you have there.

Seconded, I found it as it's one of the stations listed in Winamp by default.

I'm pretty out of touch with current Hip-hop again now, anyone know anything about this Lupe Fiasco guy? I just saw the vid for Kick Push on MTV Base this morning, really stood out and quite a nice song to boot.

Lupe Fiasco has a few mixtapes floating about, links below. His album leaked a month or so ago, resulting in the official release getting pushed back from its original June launch date.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0IEHVGP6 Part 1

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S4X4F8Z7 Revenge of the Nerd

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S2RL97A1 A Rhyming Ape

The album that leaked was album of the year candidate.

New Jurassic 5 album out soon. You know Isaacs will love it.

Hip-hop outfit Jurassic 5 will release its first album in four years, "Feedback," July 25 via Interscope. The set is led by the single "Work It Out," which features the Dave Matthews Band, while "Where We At" boasts a guest turn by Mos Def.

Production was supplied primarily by DJ/producer Nu-Mark on tracks like "Red Hot" and "Future Sound," although Scott Storch contributed "Brown Girl" and Salaam Remi was behind the boards for "Get It Together" and "Radio."

The album is the follow-up to 2002's "Power in Numbers," which debuted at No. 13 on Billboard's Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart and has sold 379,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Jurassic 5 will spend all summer on the road in support of the project, beginning July 18 in Seattle.

One artist who won't be heard on "Feedback" is Cut Chemist, who exited Jurassic 5 in 2004 to devote time to his solo debut, "The Audience's Listening," which arrives July 11 via Warner Bros.

"I think this one is going to earn them some attention from the label," Cut Chemist tells Billboard.com of "Feedback." "It's a hard label to get noticed on, because there are so many big [rap] acts -- the biggest."

As for the possibility of working with J5 again in the future, Cut Chemist says, "I guess once we live out this next phase, which is their record and my record, we'll see where everything is at. I think there's a good possibility. I still to this day have never worked with anybody as fitting as J5, to my whole love for hip-hop. We never had to sit there and contrive anything. It's magic. With rappers, I've never had that kind of synergy ever before or since."

When they replace Cut Chemist beats for Scott Storch I guess you can expect a different sort of sound on at least one track. Could be good. Could be disastrous.

hey been using that pandora thing, came up with some interesting stuff. Anyhow i realise this is subjective but could anyone recommend the best stuff to listen to by - Non Phixion, Masta Ace, and LL Cool J? I have just random tracks of theirs which i enjoy but don't wanna go by an album if 'teh shitest one they have ever done' etc

didn't realise Cut Chemist had left jurassic five...just thought he was working on his own album which is why he wasnt at live shows recently. he was there when i saw J5 at the leeds festival..although that was in 2004 so must have been just before he fucked off.

hey been using that pandora thing, came up with some interesting stuff. Anyhow i realise this is subjective but could anyone recommend the best stuff to listen to by - Non Phixion, Masta Ace, and LL Cool J? I have just random tracks of theirs which i enjoy but don't wanna go by an album if 'teh shitest one they have ever done' etc

For Non-Phixion I recommend The Future is Now. The Green CD is pretty cool too. I too would be interested in peoples opinion of peeps recommendations of Masta Ace and LL Cool J shit.

cheers, Take A Look Around it is then, i'll get Mama Said Knock You Out as well as its cheap on amazon!

edit: (due to lazyness) where can i get Take A Look Around?

Not sure about the remix really, prefer the original. That sounds hella midi, know who produced that es?

Its by a guy who posts on ukhh.com. Its just a throw away thing never to be released.

Caramac did the original didn't he? 'cos he's producing the album .

I'm really enjoying Dasseldorf Tapenator's hastings camp OSBZ shit today. Take ya down and Fuck that subject are full on BANGERS. Really nice hip hop, dope raw beats, with a sense of humour and done by english people I can relate to. DOPE!

Its by a guy who posts on ukhh.com. Its just a throw away thing never to be released.

Caramac did the original didn't he? 'cos he's producing the album .

I think it's a Harry Love beat actually.

I'm really enjoying Dasseldorf Tapenator's hastings camp OSBZ shit today. Take ya down and Fuck that subject are full on BANGERS. Really nice hip hop, dope raw beats, with a sense of humour and done by english people I can relate to. DOPE!

Thanks for the love dizzle, it ain't everyones cup of tea, but I guess we just have fun, cos thats what it should be about man. :lol:

For anyone else interested check out my little bro's myspace page http://www.myspace.com/wizardakakindalnpiss and check the OSBs page etc.

http://www.truthandsoulrecords.com/

From the store section.

In late '05 Truth and Soul's El Micheal Affair forged an unusual working relationship with the incomparable Raekwon of the Wu Tang Clan. Together they reworked Wu Tang classics, bridging the musical gap between sampled hip hop and live instrumental soul. In the wake of this event, Truth and Soul's Shaolin Series was born. Side A is a cover of one of the most influential of the Wu Tang's arsenal. Side B is a cover of "Glaciers of Ice" from Raekwon's classic solo LP "Only built For Cuban Linx". This record is volume 1 of Truth and Soul's new Shaolin Series.

El Micheals Affair - C.R.E.A.M.

Glaciers of Ice

You don't want to sleep on these.

First impressions on the new DJ Shadow album:

Like we promised, here's a little advance notice on some joints we heard yesterday from DJ Shadow's The Outsider. We had already heard "3 Freaks" and the David Banner-led "Seeing Thangs", and asked to hear any other tracks featuring MCs. Our quick lowdown after the jump.

That's My Part

A slap - no, scratch that, a BLAP - featuring E-40. Really phenomenal track, perhaps the first time that DJ Shadow has been called "pimp" on record. Or ever. This one almost sounds like hyphy prog, with constant, subtle changes to the beat and minor-key keyboard lines throughout. The use of the Super Mario coin noise ("BLLLLINNNG!") as a percussion element was a nice touch.

:wacko:

Turf Dancing

"Scrapin through Davis!" The clubbiest track from Shadow yet, with a dance call-out section ("NOW AIRWALK!") and quotables from the Federation ("She ghostridin my dick!")

ghostridin! lol

Keep Em Close

Nump (of "I Got Grapes" fame) surprises with a particularly dark verse on this creeper in 3/4 time.

Enuff

Unexpectedly, the most un-DJ Shadow moment doesn't come from Yay Area gangster rappers, but Q-Tip and Lateef, who team up over wildly upbeat guitar strums and a pop chorus. (This is the point where we whisper to our neighbor, "Nerds are going to be soooooo mad.")

Intriguing shnit.