rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Harry

Prey

Well, it's initially a bit 'woah, this is fun!' - and don't get me wrong, when you see it the first time it's cool!

It just I wouldn't class it as very cool. Not being a pedant for the sake of it, it's just I would describe interesting/new (and well-executed) game mechanics as very cool, set pieces like the glass box are only impressive for about 3 seconds.

Oh, and that's the only time in the whole game that you go small, would've been nice if they'd made a bit more out of it..

I think most people are far too lenient on average games, these days!

(and yes, I realise the people who arent lenient, like me, are often overly critical! :D )

How do you mean?

.::: That bit has been mentioned by pratically everyone, despite only taking up a few seconds of playtime and having no actual use in the game apart from willy-waving.

At least that's my take.

Consolevania ID pointed me towards Narbacular Drop and despite being rougher than Jack Bauer's face, it shows exactly what Prey lacked with its 'portal-technology'.

But don't take my word for it, Valve seems to be copying the quite intelligent concept for their Portals 'pack-in' (although I do hope it's just the Narbacular Drop team in disguise).

I believe the narbacular drop team was hired by valve. So in fact i believe portals *is* the retail version of narbacular drop. BTW i have seen a video where someone has modified the wrench to create portals that work just like in narbacular drop.

I believe the narbacular drop team was hired by valve. So in fact i believe portals *is* the retail version of narbacular drop. BTW i have seen a video where someone has modified the wrench to create portals that work just like in narbacular drop.

.::: :D

That's exactly how it should happen...

where abouts are you number 28?

Um, good question. I can't remember the name of of the level, but i've got all the weapons now. Some shit went down with er, the 'others' and i'm after the leader...or something. :D

Anyone chanced their arm with the Asian version? Mine's on the way. Hopefully it'll have a hilarious Chinese dub. That should up the entertainment value.

:D

The English dub is (unintentionally) hilarious enough! :D

I tried this during the weekend but after a few 'levels' (loading zones) I got bored with it. All the spirit walking and upside down lvl design didn't catch my interest at all.

Some of the visuals and designs are wonderfully organic but overall this game cant escape the fact that it's powered by the Doom 3 engine. It looks Doom 3 and it feels Doom 3 (something Q4 eventually shook off).

Where am I going?

That would be my biggest criticism too. I am only about 25% through but I don't feel like I have any particular goals - just walking from one tech demo to the next. I'll probably finish it but only because I know it won't take long and I have invested the money in it.

Well...I just finished it. Crikey it drags on a bit doesn't it. My head feels numb...I don't know why I do it to myself.

The highlight of the game was probably cloggin' Jen to death with a spanner. How cruel though, making you climb all the way up a tower, just to say here's your girlfriend, but, oh, I swapped her legs for a fucking dinosaur with guns attached, sorry! :)

I eventually received my copy yesterday but have yet to play it.

Interested to hear once again that opinions are very varied on issues such as length.

Personally I feel the game is twice as long as it should be. It should've been shorter, then the 'cool' bits would've been closer together and kept more people more interested..

That would be my biggest criticism too. I am only about 25% through but I don't feel like I have any particular goals - just walking from one tech demo to the next. I'll probably finish it but only because I know it won't take long and I have invested the money in it.

I'm about half way through and this is the aspect of the game I like the most. I actually feel a sense of psychological disorientation and - ahem - alienation that I've never felt in a game before. I love the feeling of going deeeper and deeper into a alien world, gradually acclimatising to its peculiar ways - portals and gravity defying architecture etc.

The atmosphere, story and art direction are first rate.

But the worst part of the game is the 'game' itself. The shooting bits are pretty terrible.

Yes, the story, in that unlike pretty much every other bloated narrative game it doesn't bore you with cut-scenes and bad voice-acting.

The atmosphere and gradual deepening dislocation and alienation in Prey is a massive part of the narrative. I actually think it's much more intelligent than people give it credit for.

For a change the story actually plays out as you are playing the game. You're not sat there being bored by developers who desperately want to be Lucas or Spielberg.

Yes, the story, in that unlike pretty much every other bloated narrative game it doesn't bore you with cut-scenes and bad voice-acting.

The atmosphere and gradual deepening dislocation and alienation in Prey is a massive part of the narrative. I actually think it's much more intelligent than people giveit credit for.

FOR A CHANGE THE STORY PLAYS OUT AS YOU ARE PLAYING THE GAME. Your no sat there being bored by developers who think they are Lucas or Spielberg.

He's right you know. The story may be a bit by the numbers but the way it is presented in this game makes it unsettling. The sound effects do add a lot. The way you can hear other inmates as you travel through ducts and past other unseen areas is quite spooky. I find the stuff involving kids especially disturbing and horrifying, I've found this since my own daughter was born so this may be a fatherly response to kids in danger.

I'm certainly enjoying it but I can't see it having much replay value so it'll probably get traded when I finish it.

Just cos you don't like it, dood..

I'm just amazed you're all so impressed by such a predictable, pre-pubescent storyline. The main character is an idiot.

And no bad voice acting? LOL

I'm just amazed you're all so impressed by such a predictable, pre-pubescent storyline. The main character is an idiot.

And no bad voice acting? LOL

Stop trolling, you have a copy of it on your desk. You love it and you know it.

Stop trolling, you have a copy of it on your desk. You love it and you know it.

Posts in topic:

superstarbeejay 42
Monkichi 3.0 32
dood 29
Cyhwuhx 28
Redsquirrel 21
angel 19
qazimod 13
Tom* 13
Dude Ranch 12
Garibaldi Biscuit 10

what more needs to be said.

This game is awesome and a clear challenge to other FPS developers to step up their game and improve on a tired formula. Prey breaks every FPS rule in the book. Blow up crates for extra ammo? NO. Boring, linear corridors? NO, we're talking levels which you have never experienced before. Find a keycard to open a door? NO, the puzzles involve thinking "outside the box", literally in some cases. It's all about moving in 3D space. There are times when you see someone in the distance, you shoot and the shots come back at you because you're shooting at yourself! Having a likeable main character helps a lot, and Tommy is the sort of anti hero, non space marine the genre needed.

Wtf...

I really need to find time to start playing the full game soon.

I thought the main character in the demo was quite refreshing and some of his comments rang quite true of what I would say in a similar situation.

I really need to find time to start playing the full game soon.

I thought the main character in the demo was quite refreshing and some of his comments rang quite true of what I would say in a similar situation.

In that situation I would be making quiet, mewling whimpers and shitting myself in a corner. I'd be more like the broken humans that Tommy keeps meeting in fact.

I really don't see what people have against this game. It's not like it's the most dire game in the world. Fucksake, get some perspective.

Well, no, it's the most 'nothing' game in the world. That to me's a worse crime than being shit.

N.B. I did actually continue with it for a few hours yesterday...