IGNORED

Boot loot 13th-14th May

frood42

No pics, the missus has gone out for the day with the camera. ;)

Things are starting to pick up this season, very little in the way of console carts that weren’t on a traders stall but I have to be thankful that this is the first year I've started to see traders at my boot.

NES:

Ghost 'N' Goblins 50p

Ghostbusters II 50p

Game Genie & Book £2

Mega Drive:

Chiki chiki boys £1

Master System:

Zillion 50p

A Philips Videopac G7000 50p

A couple of boxes of over 350 Atari ST disks, all loose :wub: but all original. No copies, PD or magazine disks just games. :( £5

After delving into a box full of random cables, mega drive controllers and a hairdryer I found nestling at the bottom a Datel Action Replay cart for the C64 £1

Vic 20 plus the usual box of stuff Inc a few cartridge games and a memory expansion cart £2 (The lady selling gathered it all up and threw in a boxed 'binatone style' game "you can ave this an all, I don't wanna take it back home", Ta very much!

Loose N64, 2 official pads with good sticks, boxed memory card and the following boxed games...

F-1 World Grand Prix

Wrestlemania 2000

Turok 2 - Seeds Of Evil

Duke Nukem 64

Mario Kart 64

Mace - The Dark Ages

...for £8

Boxed Grandstand 3600 MkII £5

Boxed Outrun (Jap) for Game Gear and a boxed RF Unit for a GC £1.50p

Loose Game Gear, TV Tuner, Screen Magnifier, Columns, Super Monaco GP, Chuck Rock £5

Kill Switch PS2 £2

TOCA Race Driver, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Atari Anthology, 1945 1 & 2, Pacific Warriors II, GUN PS2 £15

Puchi Carat £1

Army Men - Lock & Load, Army Men - Operation Meltdown, Action Man, Driver 2, Spec Ops - Stealth Patrol, Tomb Raider, Tomb Raider 2, Tomb Raider Chronicles, Nuclear Strike, Spiderman 2 - Enter Electro, Duke Nukem - Time To Kill, Duke Nukem - Land Of the Babes all PS1 £6

Medal Of Honour - Rising Sun, Medal Of Honour - Frontline, Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell - Pandora Tomorrow, Genma Onimusha, Red Dead Revolver, The Great Escape, Ghost Recon - Island Thunder, Full Spectrum Warrior all Xbox £12

Sony Playstation mouse, 40p ;)

That was about it for gaming stuff, picked up some other odds and ends including a Kenwood radio/cassette and 10 disc cd changer for £2.

:wub:

*EDIT*

Official PS2 pad £1.50p

A strange lot of booty for me today. Gaming wise:

Dark Cloud £5

Sealed big box Syndicate Wars PC - 50p ( haggled from £2)

Metal gear solid - Solid Snake figure (complete, boxed) £2

Got a couple of cds, a left handed set of golf clubs and bag for my dad for £5 and that was it.

There are now 3 games traders at the boot and I'm sure I'm about the only person who actually buys games at the boot. There's certainly not many anyway.

Not much today, thanks to the rain:

Incredible Crisis PS1 £1

Time Crisis 'Mega Power' (Seems to be an official gun. Came with box and instructions and has a foot pedal and recoil action. Less unwieldy than the Gun-Con) £1

Bust A Move PS2 £1.50

Joni Mitchell Blue LP (original gatefold) 50p

Do you know what fucks me off about car boots, more than anything else?

"It's worth £XX on eBay"

Well sell it on fucking eBay then, dickhead. Don't throw it on a table to sit in the rain and expect me to get up at 7am to pay eBay prices for it.

Not much today, thanks to the rain:

Incredible Crisis PS1 £1

Time Crisis 'Mega Power' (Seems to be an official gun. Came with box and instructions and has a foot pedal and recoil action. Less unwieldy than the Gun-Con) £1

Bust A Move PS2 £1.50

Joni Mitchell Blue LP (original gatefold) 50p

"It's worth £XX on eBay"

Well sell it on fucking eBay then, dickhead. Don't throw it on a table to sit in the rain and expect me to get up at 7am to pay eBay prices for it.

So car boots are where you got all your spare copies of Pink Floyd albums from then :)

What was it you were trying to buy when they did the old ebay trick then? And what did you say when they said it lol? I generally just sigh and walk away with people like that.

I don't mind when people mention ebay prices in context; for example I bought snes mk a few weeks back for £4. The woman said it went for £10+ on ebay but offered it for £4, with it being a car boot and everything. Which I thought was fair enough.

"It's worth £XX on eBay"

I feel exactely the same.

We upset a woman today when we burst out laughing. She had a horrible little screwed up polythene bag with a pocket gameboy in that was scratched and had several layers of dinner all over it sick.gif And with it, half a dozen uninteresting GB games, cart only, with either the label ripped off or biro'd on. She said "I want £25" We laughed. She said "Do you see how many games are in there?!!!"

If you want 25 quid for something that's worth 3 then at least show it a damp cloth.

Another guy had an unboxed NES but wanted 40 quid for it.

Hilarious all round and we bought...nuffin.

Cold and wet at the couple of car boots I went to, they were less than half their usual size as a result.

Picked up a few boxed megadrive games, Sonic 3D , Toy Story, and Kid chameleon for a quid each

Time Crisis project Titan for £2.00 and that was it.

Ive stared to get dead fussy on playstation stuff passing up on games for a quid just because they are platinium versions.

Also Ive noticed a distinct lack of Pokemon stuff in comparison to the last few years.

I feel exactely the same.

Well no sod makes us go out at 7am, same as no sod makes us buy anything. When confronted with that sort of thing I tend to laugh. I've only ever been moaned at for that, both times I told them to whack it up on there and enjoy the process as they'd have to warranty the condition and if it worked or not....

I've done well this year but can't be arsed to post the finds...

i cant beleve all the great shit you lot find. I get nothing but the odd PS1 or megadrive game :rolleyes:

Someone makes this almost exact same post every boot thread.

You won't get anything good at car boot sales these days unless you find one which doesn't already have too many gaming collectors, and then go there first thing in the morning as soon as it opens.

and i serosilly doubt theres other gamers there, all kids and old people

it only takes one trader to hoover up all the choice games! They are not necessarily gamers either from what i've seen of them, although I would think a large proportion are.

What time do you usually get there?

So car boots are where you got all your spare copies of Pink Floyd albums from then :rolleyes:

What was it you were trying to buy when they did the old ebay trick then? And what did you say when they said it lol? I generally just sigh and walk away with people like that.

I do pretty much the same really. It just depresses me a little, because I know it'll be a waste of time even bargaining with them. I feel a bit sorry for them in a way, because they'll never actually get anything for their stuff with that attitude.

All the Pink Floyd albums I have were from collections I've been given. I'm a bit well known among my Mum's friends for wanting records. No car boot tat, honest! :rolleyes:

i would but i cant drive. bit of a bugger eh.

and i serosilly doubt theres other gamers there, all kids and old people

I bet there are a few. Unless you're getting there VERY early there's a good chance they might even have been round the booter and left before you even arrived.

I used to wander into the morning booter at about 8am and thought it was terrible. Shortly after I passed my driving test, I was able to get there at the 6:30am opening time. That was an eye-opener.

Defintely two waves of buyers at my local ones, you see the same faces every week when i get there around 06:30 and they are all gone before 07:30 when it starts to get busy, i do the same mind you but you only realise what you can get when you start really early believe me although having said that i got my Vectrex very late at my biggest local booty (Taplow if you're wondering) but it is a whole different place at 06:30. The second wave start arriving as the first are leaving and i doubt it's like that just round here.

Defintely two waves of buyers at my local ones, you see the same faces every week when i get there around 06:30 and they are all gone before 07:30 when it starts to get busy, i do the same mind you but you only realise what you can get when you start really early believe me although having said that i got my Vectrex very late at my biggest local booty (Taplow if you're wondering) but it is a whole different place at 06:30. The second wave start arriving as the first are leaving and i doubt it's like that just round here.

Now the days are getting lighter i'm usually at my local for 5:30, the traders are about then nosing but there is a steady flow all throughout the morning of booters so i've managed to pick up quite a few bargains late on as they're all back stuck on their stalls...

:o

I wasn't expecting much in the way of retro gaming today, and surprise surpise there was very little there. I didn't get there till 8.20. TBH, I simply cannot be arsed to get up on a sunday morning at 6 o'clock just to find a SNES for £3. I'll never be into the trading side of retro, its all for my personal collection and I simply earn enough money to buy what I want at ebay/gamestation prices.

That said, its great to come across the odd bargain. But, it seems that old computer games are the new black as far as car booting goes. If I'm after DVDs, Cds, comics, books or anything else I will pick up loads of bargains. Go for retro games and I'll be struggling. Someone always gets there right at the start and clears up, but leaves the cheap other stuff for me and other normal people to pick up.

One thing I was wondering is this - is it good to turn up right at the end of a carboot so you can pick up that dreamcast for £5 rather than the £25 it was originally being sold at just so the bloke can get off home?

So, £9.50 spent and I got 5 original Dune Novels, The Rock and Brotherhood of the Wold on DVD, Stereophonics, Miss Dynamite, M People and Street Vibes cds, Timesplitters FP on Ps2, Half Life Opposig Force on PC, a Final Fantasy X1 strategy guide and a Dr seuss hardback for the daughter.

One thing I was wondering is this - is it good to turn up right at the end of a carboot so you can pick up that dreamcast for £5 rather than the £25 it was originally being sold at just so the bloke can get off home?

There's several scools of thought on this - the idea that if you turn up really late you can pick up whats left for a song is a good one, reality often takes over sellers who previously wanted silly cash and don't want to take anything home. It's useful to earmark some items and turn up 30 mins before the sale ends to see if they are there and if you can get them dirst cheap....

Often you find other stuff at a boot sale simply walking down the isles the opposite way, you miss stuff only seeing it from one direction.........

There's definately something to be said for that! However, it depends on whether the traders/collectors at your local hoover up everything and anything.

Often you find other stuff at a boot sale simply walking down the isles the opposite way, you miss stuff only seeing it from one direction.........

Absolutely! The traders at mine hammer around the booter trying to get ahead of each other and be at the new cars first. So, often I have decided against getting into the battle and have doubled back to find some cracking stuff that they have missed because they've shot around so quickly.

I used to get up at 7-7:30 to get to mine, but I can't be arsed and get up around 8ish now. This does mean the dealers get there first but I’ve stopped being grumpy for the rest of the day from not getting my beauty sleep and I’ve stopped falling asleep at work. I hit the isle that is just unpacking first but only take a cursory glance at the stalls surrounded by vultures and continue on. I work my way back along the rows until I get to the end and then go back along the top to the start and work my way through to where I came in.

The traders also seem to only have a taste for 80's/90's consoles, Sega, Nintendo & Sony; I have a passion for the older stuff and old home computers, they don't seem to bother with these, all my best bargains have been Sinclair’s, Commodores etc.

I counted three stalls today that have obviously had a quick hoover round when they first arrived, but they seem to be either the antique stalls that have decided to diversify (who have no idea what they are selling) or two that I counted who seemed to be enterprising kids who I’m sure will get bored after three weeks of early mornings.

Today's stuff that I passed on was an Atari Lynx (with Klax, oooh ;) ) for £15 and an Amstrad CPC for....wait for it.....£35 :o but if you have the time it's the above that should be easy pickings near the end of the boot, the price s bound to come down nearer the end and whilst haggling just remind the seller that it will mean that they don't have to cart it back home and shove it back in the loft :)

To find car boot sales:

1. Select your area. 2. Buy the local paper - turn to the section "Carboot sales and jumble". 3. Attend these boot sales and ask anyone at the boot sale if they know of any others...