IGNORED

Heavy Rain (PS3)

Agent_Supercool

Well, by and large it looks fantastic. However, some of the mouths are bad....the woman you meet in the first scenario standing out like a sore thumb, and the acting is average. Not bad for a game, but the advances made by the likes of Uncharted and Mass Effect are considerable. The controls are, as has been said, over elaborate and some of the shaking motions don't want to register unless you perform them in a very particular way, and not the one suggested by the icon.

With that said, I'm confident I'll enjoy it a great deal. It certainly has atmosphere in spades and I really enjoyed the first third of Farenheit. Assuming the truth has been told about this one not going around the bend I think it'll be a worthwhile experience.

I'll still not completely convinced by it really. I just wish that the art style had a little less realism, and a bit more exaggeration to it. It's kind of why I feel the Uncharted games work so well - they're realistic, but there's enough 'cartoon' in there to cope with the technology. It's patently clear that we ain't reached ultra-realism yet, so I'd prefer a bit more style to the proceedings and let my mind fill in the gaps.

We'll see I guess.

Definitely buying this. The visuals are great, the music awesome and the atmosphere's definitely there.

But the writing (dialogue-wise), unfortunately, isn't very good. :angry: That's a separate element from the story, which could be great. No idea about how that will pan out from the demo alone, but I like the serial killer angle.

And the FBI guy's voice acting is atrocious.

And the controls are a bit clunky.

This is still Day One for me, but based on the demo, Heavy Rain seems to be a hint at possible things to come rather than anything like the finished article. But I want more risk-taking games, so I'm definitely going to buy it, tonal problems forgiven.

Loved the QTE fight scene! But less because of its QTE-ness, and more because it was well directed and exciting.

Really impressed with the visuals / atmosphere, it's kind of like how the old RE games used to be with the really detailed backgrounds. The woman in the first scene was a little bit jarring, but the guy you play as looked brilliant. I'm quite looking forward to this now, it's going to offer something a bit different from the norm, if nothing else.

I liked it, although I did found myself wanting to know what the right stick motions did before I did them. I thought that

sitting on the bed and the UP option appearing meant he'd lean in to comfort the crying woman. Turns out it just makes him stand back up.

R2 to walk....why? They create this fantastically looking realistic world, then spoil the immersion by having your guy spin on the spot, walk into cupboards etc etc, all because of how he controls. I too was looking forward to this (and ordered the special edition from HMV, which comes with the first bit of DLC free) but it is ....I dunno...too fiddly to just do minor things.

Did I miss something in the girls apartment? When you stand at the fridge it gives you an option to do something - push down on the right stick I think. But after doing that and it zooming in, the icon to push the right stick is still there but nothing happens.

R2 to walk....why? They create this fantastically looking realistic world, then spoil the immersion by having your guy spin on the spot, walk into cupboards etc etc, all because of how he controls.

It's rather strange, but I got use to it. The direction is relative to the camera and not the character.

R2 to walk....why? They create this fantastically looking realistic world, then spoil the immersion by having your guy spin on the spot, walk into cupboards etc etc, all because of how he controls.

Probably because it allows you to change the camera angle at will without confusing the direction you must hold the stick when walking. It is a weird choice although didn't really take much time to get used to.

i looked in the tent for the second time with the glasses off, and he either went to put them on (but there was nothing in his hand) or he went to touch something on them which looked wrong because there was nothing there. I wonder if theres a lot of stuff like that in the game?

I thought the first scene worked quite well, and got me interested in playing more, but then the second scene sort of brought it down a bit. If the game has more scenes like the first than the second, it could be worth playing through.

i looked in the tent for the second time with the glasses off, and he either went to put them on (but there was nothing in his hand) or he went to touch something on them which looked wrong because there was nothing there. I wonder if theres a lot of stuff like that in the game?

I thought the first scene worked quite well, and got me interested in playing more, but then the second scene sort of brought it down a bit. If the game has more scenes like the first than the second, it could be worth playing through.

Yeah, similarly I had a bit where my guy had the glasses on, went to talk to someone and, while standing completely still, the glasses seemed to float off my face, fold themselves up and push themselves into my pocket. First signs of a weird mystical cult?

The dialogue and acting in the demo is just shit. The old detective guy is okay, despite a few rough lines, but the girl is bad and the FBI guy in the second scene is just beyond terrible. It doesn't help, as noted before, some of the animation in that scene is pathetic.

For something that's trying to bridge the gap between films and games (or whatever the hell it's trying to do) that stuff needs to be right. The way the dialogue links together is clunky, too. FBI guy asks a question. Three second pause. Cop answers him.

It reminds me of Shenmue a bit. But while Shenmue's dialogue was endearingly awful, Heavy Rain seems so bloody po-faced.

What a bunch of wank. I went to the crime scene, did some investigating, talked to some people and then went back to the car and drove away. How. Boring. The animations are jerky as hell and the character expressions are incredibly blank.

So far I'm not impressed and having David Cage tell gamers that they should limit themselves to one play through gives me a feeling that this is not worth picking up at it's full retail price at all.

Maybe I'll get this for a tenner down the road but man... Having to perform a QTE for every single trivial action is retarded. "Hm better get my inhaler" *button press* ""Hm better shake it" *controller waggling* "Hm better bring it to my mouth" *button press* "Hm better inhale some of that shit" *presses wrong button* "Ah damnit now I have to bring my hand all the way up to my mouth again" *presses some more buttons*

WTF?!

The only thing I enjoyed was the atmosphere and walking up the stairs in the first part of the demo. It sounded like ye' olde Resident Evil creepy stairs. Maybe I should go play that instead.