I'm not sure there is a way to get them right, I think Resident Evil 4 has come about as close as any game to making them enjoyable, but even during sections such as the Krauser knife-fight I kept finding myself wishing that I could either just control it directly or sit back and enjoy the impressive cutscene without being constantly ditracted by the need to press face-buttons randomly to make it continue.

Resident Evil 4 was about as basic as you get. No branching, no correlation between the button presses and the action, instant failure. Someone is going to have to improve on all of those before we see a QTE system which really pushes them past the basic, throwaway fluff sections games seem to use them as at the moment.

I'll admit I thought I liked where it was going with the ancient mythology, and underground tramp societies are an easy way of making me love whatever your story's about, but when realised I was fighting The Internet I burst out laughing at how totally misdirected I had been. It was like Beadle's About or something when Jez introduced himself and the target suddenly realised he'd been played like a violin - I felt like I had been royally orchestrated.

About half of Farhenheit become twiddling the two sticks like giant nipples to arouse the game enought to fucking move on from "DIVE AWAY FROM THIS- JUMP AWAY FROM THAT- AHH BLACK PANTHER!" to the few and far between bits where you actually had full control which were really interesting, until they fucked that up with the stealth bit and the horrible conclusion to a story that sort of hinted at some grand conclusion but it turned out to be some super villian reject from an unpublished comic.

So yeah, potentially, there's a lot that can go wrong. And I hope it doesn't, because bits like the diner sequence were brilliant until the game became Dance Dance Save Yourlifealution

I'm personally not a fan of QTE's. I gave Fahrenheit a lot of praise, and it's a good game. But I'd prefer a more thoughtful experience, not every game has to test your mind and your knowledge of the game pad, it's fine to just use one human system for a title.

Shenmue didn't matter to me so much when it came to QTE's cause it was very action packed, the combat system was great, for the most. But I think it's the area where Cage and his team are going wrong, almost as if they have to include it now cause today's game's almost require some sort of 'action' genre type to be accepted.

That video didn't do anything to sell the game to me. I'm sure I'll still play it (although I don't know how not owning a PS3), but not off the back of that.

How would Fahreneit fare nowadays? It looks interesting.

It's dirt cheap and it's honestly an amazing game for the first few hours.

After those few though, it sinks in that something isn't quite right, and then at the end it truly pisses right in your eyes. I think anyone 'into' games should play it, but I wouldn't place it on any 'best ever' list.

Anyone know if it's backwards compatible?

I'm talking to the other 2 PS3 owners here.

Yep.

Indigo Prophecy

Publisher: Atari

Product No: SLUS-21196

Description: The following conditions have been confirmed on PS3 System Software Version 2.10: At a specific point during gameplay, the title hangs on a black screen. All conditions have been resolved on PS3 System Software Version 2.20.

It's also available to download via Xbox Live.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/i/indigoprophecy/

Jesus, people can be so close minded sometimes...

Close minded? Farenheit was the worst game I played last gen. Its handful of innovations completely failed to make up for the pile of shit that was the rest of the game. For a game which made such a big deal out of its narrative, it's probably not a good idea to have the worst story ever in a videogame. Or have characters that were better than forgettable or absurd caricatures.

So when the maker of that shit game shows off another narrative based game with what looks suspiciously like the same shit play mechanics that were in the first one, sorry if I'm not a paragon of optimism.

Cant wait for this. The video did look a bit shitty compared to the screens and that but it still ranks up with some of the best graphics i've seen in a game.

It's got me wanting it more now! I have a feeling though that this type of game will always have haters. Yes it's full of QTEs, yes there's not too much in the way of gameplay but it's not what this game is about. It's different... the sort of difference some people want. So why people go bat shit mental over it is unreal.

Yes it's full of QTEs, yes there's not too much in the way of gameplay but it's not what this game is about.

Why not take out the pointless QTE's then and leave the game to be more thought provoking, path taking, decision making, clue hunting, mental test of remembering, working out and achieving through puzzle breaking?

If they want to add in tense moments, because that's all QTE's are trying to emulate, then why not have the player solve a puzzle under a timer, tense doesn't mean split second, it can easily mean five minutes. Test the brain quicker, not the knowledge of where PAD buttons are, and hand-to-eye, every other game does that, do something different.

Why not take out the pointless QTE's then and leave the game to be more thought provoking, path taking, decision making, clue hunting, mental test of remembering, working out and achieving through puzzle breaking?

If they want to add in tense moments, because that's all QTE's are trying to emulate, then why not have the player solve a puzzle under a timer, tense doesn't mean split second, it can easily mean five minutes. Test the brain quicker, not the knowledge of where PAD buttons are, and hand-to-eye, every other game does that, do something different.

Because the story they want to tell obviously involves scenes involving action and rather than just having the player watch them they want to make them tense by having the player participate in them.

Maybe they'll get it wrong, like in Fahrenheit, or maybe they'll get it right. That trailer certainly looks like an improvement.

I have a feeling though that this type of game will always have haters. Yes it's full of QTEs, yes there's not too much in the way of gameplay but it's not what this game is about. It's different... the sort of difference some people want. So why people go bat shit mental over it is unreal.

Mainly because other games did it much more competently. They were actually well written too. Example from last gen:

dreamfall_qjpreviewth.jpg

A game which pisses over Fahrenheit (and David Cage) from great height.

Because the story they want to tell obviously involves scenes involving action and rather than just having the player watch them they want to make them tense by having the player participate in them.

Maybe they'll get it wrong, like in Fahrenheit, or maybe they'll get it right. That trailer certainly looks like an improvement.

The inherent problem with QTE is that you look through the cinematic on-screen presentation for symbols. You don't see the wonderful choreography and set pieces, because you're looking for X or O to appear. That's the flaw with QTE. It looks like in the new one they've made the symbols more sleek, does that mean the action will stand out further, or you'll have to look harder for them?

The inherent problem with QTE is that you look through the cinematic on-screen presentation for symbols. You don't see the wonderful choreography and set pieces, because you're looking for X or O to appear. That's the flaw with QTE. It looks like in the new one they've made the symbols more sleek, does that mean the action will stand out further, or you'll have to look harder for them?

I agree that it isn't a particularly graceful solution.

What I'd like is a set of button presses which have fixed purposes so all the player needs is a subtle prompt to perform an action, maybe the pad vibrating, then they decide which action the character should perform.

So in the example from the trailer instead of just being prompted to press X to block the knife, you could either press X to block or press down which would attempt a dodge. The scene would then branch with there, maybe the dodge would put you closer to an item you can use to disarm the attacker, whereas blocking means you have to get through another attack to get closer to it.

What I'd like is a set of button presses which have fixed purposes so all the player needs is a subtle prompt to perform an action, maybe the pad vibrating, then they decide which action the character should perform.

So in the example from the trailer instead of just being prompted to press X to block the knife, you could either press X to block or press down which would attempt a dodge. The scene would then branch with there, maybe the dodge would put you closer to an item you can use to disarm the attacker, whereas blocking means you have to get through another attack to get closer to it.

Dragon's Lair did a better job of this than Fahrenheit.

I think you could be onto something here. Imagine taking it a step further though. Consider this – each button on the pad has a distinct, consistent function; for the sake of argument, we'll say X punches, square blocks, triangle kicks and circle dodges. You could completely do away with button prompts, and allow the player to execute any of those moves at any time. If you think your character should block, you press square, and the scene branches there, with it building on your choice and developing into a completely different direction. Similarly, if you choose to kick, the game decides what happens next using some kind of 'artificial intelligence'.

You could couple this with using the left stick to control movement of your character at all times – pressing in a direction would cause your character to move in that direction.

I'm not sure the present generation of consoles is up to the task of handling emergent gameplay of this nature, but perhaps in a generation or two we could see a truly interactive game.

• Upvote 1

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

That never produces something which can match the quality of a well directed cutscene though, because giving the player complete control means you're putting the choreography and direction of the scene entirely in their hands. I just think that in a predominantly narrative driven game such as this it should still be possible to produce action scenes that give the player a level of control beyond "PRESS X TO DODGE...NOW!" without giving them complete control. I'm not saying that games like Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden would be better like this, I just think it's a good fit for some games.

Mainly because other games did it much more competently. They were actually well written too. Example from last gen:

dreamfall_qjpreviewth.jpg

A game which pisses over Fahrenheit (and David Cage) from great height.

The way the whole story is told in Fahrenheit is much -much- better and thought provoking than Dreamfall.

The general story of Dreamfall though is better but only because Fahrenheit went bonkers in the end.

Also, Dreamfall does not have QTEs like Fahrenheit and it is an adventure game. Although it has no puzzles in it for the last 2/3s of its duration. So it is basically an interactive story book and nothing more. Just like Fahrenheit but without the QTEs which give the edge to Cage's title as far as tension goes.

It seems your example just sank without a trace. Better come up with something else.

The way the whole story is told in Fahrenheit is much -much- better and thought provoking than Dreamfall.

The general story of Dreamfall though is better but only because Fahrenheit went bonkers in the end.

Also, Dreamfall does not have QTEs like Fahrenheit and it is an adventure game. Although it has no puzzles in it for the last 2/3s of its duration. So it is basically an interactive story book and nothing more. Just like Fahrenheit but without the QTEs which give the edge to Cage's title as far as tension goes.

It seems your example just sank without a trace. Better come up with something else.

You're insane. Farenheit with no other changes than having the QTEs removed would be a far better game. They were pointless, badly implemented and the cutscenes that accompanied them were absurd.

And I've never played Dreamfall, but if Farenheit really did have "better and more thought-provoking" storytelling then Dreamfall must be an epic pile of shit that has gone down in history as an incredible example of ineptitude.

You're insane. Farenheit with no other changes than having the QTEs removed would be a far better game. They were pointless, badly implemented and the cutscenes that accompanied them were absurd.

No. And no. They were not pointless. I agree though that they could be better.

And I've never played Dreamfall, but if Farenheit really did have "better and more thought-provoking" storytelling then Dreamfall must be an epic pile of shit that has gone down in history as an incredible example of ineptitude.

The way Fahrenheit tells its story is unlike anything we have seen yet. Sure, it does not always succeeds but when it works it has no rival. Dreamfall does not use anything different from what we already know to tell a story. I am talking about methods of deliverance. Fahrenheit's was a kick to the balls of conventional methods and only an idiot does not see potential in it.

The way Fahrenheit tells its story is unlike anything we have seen yet. Sure, it does not always succeeds but when it works it has no rival. Dreamfall does not use anything different from what we already know to tell a story. I am talking about methods of deliverance. Fahrenheit's was a kick to the balls of conventional methods and only an idiot does not see potential in it.

The only new thing in Fahrenheit was the multiple camera angels, and not only did they lie, but they were stolen from 24. And from the new video it looks like the potential is sqaundered on more fucking QTEs.