IGNORED

Where's The Zelda Love?

Comrade

So, there are threads for Mario, for Smash Bros... but what of Zelda? Well, I thought I'd do it then.

Anyway, Zelda's got its whole Wii controller now, that a lot of sites are saying is a bit awkward to use. But it also seems that with practice it gets better, which is nice. But I suppose not a great deal else has been shown. Apparently the fishing works well.

At any rate I'm still, as our American cousins would say, "totally pumped" for this. It blew me away last year, and the graphics have improved significantly. The video on Nintendo's press site (here, Username: Golin, Password: Harris) shows some fantastic stuff, far in excess of what was there last year, and that's all running on a GC in that video. I know I'm fucking impressed.

Incidentally, here's something I wrote in the Smash Bros thread about the Smash Bros video which is sort of relevant:

Maybe I'm getting a bit Tetsuo here, but I was looking at this video and noticed some interesting scenes. At 17 seconds there is an arena featuring a walled city/castle under seige. What Nintendo game is this from? I've never seen it before. By its general colour scheme and style, I'd suspect that it's from the new Zelda, which makes me think there will be at least one amazing setpiece in that game.

Also, at 20 seconds, there's some kind of throne room. Again, this looks similar in style to the new Zelda, and reinforcing that is the fact that the emblem above the throne looks similar to the Goron logo in OoT. So maybe this is the Goron palace or something?

Something to think about, anyway.

If I'm correct there, then I think a massive battle against a town, all on the main map would be amazing.

Oddly, my anticipation for this has gone down. Since seeing 'the only American to have played the game', struggle to shoot an enemy I'm seriously considering whether I should stick with the Gamecube version and how it was meant to be played.

there can only be two reasons people arent talking about it:-

1)zelda complacency - everyone know its gonna rawk.

2)eveyones tring to keep themselves pure so its gonna still be fresh when it arrives.

:) both perfectly valid if you ask me.

Oddly, my anticipation for this has gone down. Since seeing 'the only American to have played the game', struggle to shoot an enemy I'm seriously considering whether I should stick with the Gamecube version and how it was meant to be played.

ahh, it'll just take a little time to master, like one of those old jeff minter games where you had to grow into the control system.

when you get used to it, it will be all the more rewarding because of the effort you put in (hopefully)

i want to see some gameplay videos from the show floor. if this is a launch title they must be practically finished with it by now surely, so there must be more media kicking around than the bits i've seen so far...

Has it been mentioned if there is any graphical differences between the Gamecube and the Wii version?

Or will they be the same accept for the differences in the control method?

Well it's widescreen on wii. Other than that I've no idea. The system is at least twice as powerfull so I'd expect improved graphics or (even better) running at 60hz rather than 30hz.

It looks sweet, but has been looking sweet for three years now. But it's like that beautiful maiden you can't touch. After a while you start fondling her dirty and ugly sister instead.

Yeah, good analogy. I think people are just a little jaded about it. We've seen Zelda before, we've been waiting for it for ages, whereas Mario Galaxy is all new and shiny, and the other stuff too, to a slightly lesser degree.

I think it'll be great, but eventually when you've been waiting a long time for something, you go from "can't wait" to "Christ, is it STILL not here? *sigh*"

I've stayed out of this folder over E3, as I just couldn't see the wood for the trees. Too many threads, with too many pages.

But when I did have a look, first thing I searched for was the Zelda video.

Same here! Think I'll have to buy Edge this month to fill me in on what happened at this years event, discussion's just moving too fast for me to keep up.

Those new videos are fantastic. I think I'm more or less resigned to the fact that I'll get a Wii but I'm still torn as to whether I should be the GC or Wii version of this. I'm very confused by it.

I was a little unsure in the conference demonstration, when the guy playing struggled to hit those enemies with the bow - looked pretty frustrating.

Maybe he was just nervous. Hell, wouldn't you be with Reggie and the whole gaming world watching?

I agree. Launching on GC is just daft. I suspect they'll only do it in the USA\Canada (Reggie pretty much said as much).

I suppose they don't want to go back on all those promises.

It might hit the Wii's impact but I think it's genuinely great for the existing console owners who either have little desire or money to upgrade to a whole new console. Quite possibly the latter. Really good, I think.

im surprised that people are considering picking up the GC version of this, its gonna be the first real test of how the wii controls system actually works with, big deep sustained gaming - if it doesnt work out surely this whole system is just gonna be a (relatively) expensive novelty item for a lot of us.

still i suppose the GC version may be rare in a few years time.

Nintendo should have banked on this as a Wii exclusive. It really would kickstart Wii sales in a big way.

Agreed. However when i play games through first time, usually on normal mode, I'm already looking forward to playing through the whole lot again on Hard. Imagine playing this, no doubt fantastic game, on your Gamecube knowing that at some point you'll play through it all again using a completely unique device. Yes, it will mean buying it a 2nd time at some point when you manage to get a Wii (stocks WILL be short, people) but at least you can experience it and talk about it at the same time as those lucky sods who managed to get a Wii on launch.

im surprised that people are considering picking up the GC version of this, its gonna be the first real test of how the wii controls system actually works with, big deep sustained gaming - if it doesnt work out surely this whole system is just gonna be a (relatively) expensive novelty item for a lot of us.

still i suppose the GC version may be rare in a few years time.

It will be interesting to see how it manages to push the GC