IGNORED

Negative Wii-ness

footle

However, the two that got her most excited were the orchestra clip (she'd also watched miyamoto at the start of the press conference) and the tennis game - which she said 'looked brilliant'.

I can see the headlines in 10 years time "Nintendo Wii blamed for fat pastey faced lethergic children BAN THIS FILTH NOW!

Well if anything it's a size-of-the-TV problem. How are you gonna conduct (or just point to) specific areas of a choir if you only have a little TV. Or even a big one. Too fiddly I imagine.

You're not restricted at pointing at things on the TV.

I can see the headlines in 10 years time "Nintendo Wii blamed for fat pastey faced lethergic children BAN THIS FILTH NOW!

Eh, that's pretty much the opposite of what the Wiimote's about, isn't it? Waving your arms around conducting and orchestra, or physically whacking a virtual tennis ball.

Well if anything it's a size-of-the-TV problem. How are you gonna conduct (or just point to) specific areas of a choir if you only have a little TV. Or even a big one. Too fiddly I imagine.

Aah. I see where you're coming from now, but there are loads of ways of doing this either in 1st or 3rd person.

I don't think those links are especially negative. I felt lost when I first played Mario 64 - the analogue felt very strange to me. But I remember at the time that non-gamers took to it more naturally. I think we have trained ourselves and become quite attached to our gamepads.

Just thought I'd say that I felt the same. When I first played Mario 64 I was bouncing off walls and bad guys like a drunken Ra man after a particularly nasty knee-capping in a seedy Belfast pub. These days I'm able to utilise analogue control to the extent that I actually leap over those same walls with the grace of Spiderman on Nandrolone. I'd imagine that all this Wiimote beef is a simple case of fools needing more practice.

Eh, that's pretty much the opposite of what the Wiimote's about, isn't it? Waving your arms around conducting and orchestra, or physically whacking a virtual tennis ball.

Don't be silly!

How many of you lazy fucks are actually going to get off your comfy sofas???

NONE!

I'd imagine that all this Wiimote beef is a simple case of fools needing more practice.

If you forget that we all know how to use dual-sticks with analogue triggers, you'll realise that they're hardly intuitive or even sensible control devices in many cases. We and the industry have evolved with them, and if I may swap metaphors abruptly, we're like frogs being heated in a pan of water, we don't notice the changes. I can work a dual-shock no problem nowadays, but if you'd taken away my single-button Quickshot back in the 80s and given me a dual-shock, I'dve been confused and alarmed. Moving this tiny stick with my thumb? Using my right hand for the buttons? No chance.

It also reminds me of when I got into PC gaming with Quake. For months I just used the keyboard, PG UP / PG DOWN to look up and down, separate buttons for strafe and turn, etc. etc. When I tried a joypad, it seemed unresponsive and ineffective; when I tried the mouse, I was hopeless. The mouse made no sense to me because of the model of movement I was used to on the keyboard. Nowadays, WSAD and mouse is like second nature to me, to the point where it actually feels too effective - when I try to play HL2 now I'm bored by how easy it is to aim - after playing Halo etc. on joypads it feels too clinical to me, too accurate. When I first tried mouselook I was spinning around like a spastic dervish, my gun sights were straight out of Cat Ballou.

One year's time, we'll be juggling three Wiimotes at a time no problem, possibly literally in some kind of Warioware juggling game.

I don't think those links are especially negative. I felt lost when I first played Mario 64 - the analogue felt very strange to me. But I remember at the time that non-gamers took to it more naturally. I think we have trained ourselves and become quite attached to our gamepads.

o/\o

My son uses the analogue sticks on the Ps2 exclusively. Finds it very difficult to use the d-pad. He's not known anything else.

If you forget that we all know how to use dual-sticks with analogue triggers, you'll realise that they're hardly intuitive or even sensible control devices in many cases. We and the industry have evolved with them, and if I may swap metaphors abruptly, we're like frogs being heated in a pan of water, we don't notice the changes. I can work a dual-shock no problem nowadays, but if you'd taken away my single-button Quickshot back in the 80s and given me a dual-shock, I'dve been confused and alarmed. Moving this tiny stick with my thumb? Using my right hand for the buttons? No chance.

It also reminds me of when I got into PC gaming with Quake. For months I just used the keyboard, PG UP / PG DOWN to look up and down, separate buttons for strafe and turn, etc. etc. When I tried a joypad, it seemed unresponsive and ineffective; when I tried the mouse, I was hopeless. The mouse made no sense to me because of the model of movement I was used to on the keyboard. Nowadays, WSAD and mouse is like second nature to me, to the point where it actually feels too effective - when I try to play HL2 now I'm bored by how easy it is to aim - after playing Halo etc. on joypads it feels too clinical to me, too accurate. When I first tried mouselook I was spinning around like a spastic dervish, my gun sights were straight out of Cat Ballou.

One year's time, we'll be juggling three Wiimotes at a time no problem, possibly literally in some kind of Warioware juggling game.

I prefer to think of when I first picked up an N64 pad to play Ubisoft's F1 game and was yanking the controller above my head to try and turn a corner more sharply. The Wii's genius I tells ya.

So long as it controls better then dual analog sticks, which I'm sure it will as dual sticks is the worse control input ever, then I'll like it.

Nah keyboard and mouse is worst ever, two devices designed for completely different things being crushed together to perform something different entirely. hurrah for pc gaming :)

We really shouldn't be surprised by these semi-ambivalent blog reports. Of course it's going to be tricky to start with, for gamers, but mostly for developers. This is a whole new world for them, and it'll be a while before people really get to grips with it. I'll definitely get one at launch, but what i'm REALLY looking forward to is the software a year or two after launch. That's going to be totally fuckin sweet.

Soong, your video is fucking shit, and more than a little embarassing.

Actually, it reminds me a little of the people laughing at sony for the dodgy Warhawk demo of the tilt controller. Anyone that thinks that they won't find a way to make the tilt thing work well eventually is a fool. It cost them money to put it in, and it's going to have to make them money to justify itself.

Soong, your video is fucking shit, and more than a little embarassing.

Actually, it reminds me a little of the people laughing at sony for the dodgy Warhawk demo of the tilt controller. Anyone that thinks that they won't find a way to make the tilt thing work well eventually is a fool. It cost them money to put it in, and it's going to have to make them money to justify itself.

Firstly, the video was something I did after velos called me a Sony fanboy. It's a piss-take. Jeeesus.

Secondly, the tilt thing already works very, very well in Warhawk.

It's a piss-take. Jeeesus.

Oh right Ted. Sorry.

Well, I was really commenting on the reception it got. It got a hiding. But, like I said, even if it is crap, they'll make it work eventually. I'm quite looking forward to picking up my slimline ps3 in 2009 or thereabouts.

Oh right Ted. Sorry.

Well, I was really commenting on the reception it got. It got a hiding.

It did, where?

Just in the Sony E3 thread here from what I could tell. IGN, GameSpot, Eurogamer, GameSpot, GameSpy, etc all saying it plays really well. So if you ask me that's a bloody good reception.

And considering the developers only had less than two weeks to implement the new control method, I imagine it's got a damn good chance of success.

Just in the Sony E3 thread here from what I could tell. IGN, GameSpot, Eurogamer, GameSpot, GameSpy, etc all saying it plays really well. So if you ask me that's a bloody good reception.

Yeah, in the Sony E3 thread here, and elsewhere post-conference, but pre-hands on. I haven't been slaving over hot blogs and what have you since then. ANYWAY, I was saying that it will bloody work, jeeeesussssss.

See! They're all (mostly) not sure yet. I say I'M not sure yet because I haven't even touched the thing and Nintendo whores like Velos call me mental. Fuckers.

Firstly, the video was something I did after velos called me a Sony fanboy. It's a piss-take. Jeeesus.

used a DS3 then?