IGNORED

Super Mario Galaxy on the way for Wii

Don Rosco

Why do I want this game? Why is it suddenly utterly essential to my wellbeing and happiness that I obtain a Wii and this game? Seriously, up until a week ago I couldn't care less, then I read this thread, watch the videos, read the games article and review and suddenly I can't not have it, even if it means costing me the best part of £200! I'm hoping that it's just me getting caught up in the frenzy of a new game and it'll pass, and I won't get to the middle of December lamenting I missed me opportunity to play it...

Why do I want this game? Why is it suddenly utterly essential to my wellbeing and happiness that I obtain a Wii and this game? Seriously, up until a week ago I couldn't care less, then I read this thread, watch the videos, read the games article and review and suddenly I can't not have it, even if it means costing me the best part of £200! I'm hoping that it's just me getting caught up in the frenzy of a new game and it'll pass, and I won't get to the middle of December lamenting I missed me opportunity to play it...

Because Mario = video games. Just like Byron talked about holding the whole world in a grain of sand, when you hold a Wii disc with Mario Galaxy in your hand, you are cradling the inspiration for every secret path, every sound effect, every health/life structure, every way of deposing of enemies, every themed world idea that's worked its way into every game since Mario Bros. 1, right there. It's tiny but it encompasses everything and it should be worshipped and bought and played and eventually, you should just work your penis into the hole and make love to it.

Its worth it dude, honestly. Its pure brilliance. Its what video games are all about.

Its justified my Wii purchase, at launch, for me. Nothing else comes close. On any other system for that matter.

Because Mario = video games. Just like Byron talked about holding the whole world in a grain of sand, when you hold a Wii disc with Mario Galaxy in your hand, you are cradling the inspiration for every secret path, every sound effect, every health/life structure, every way of deposing of enemies, every themed world idea that's worked its way into every game since Mario Bros. 1, right there. It's tiny but it encompasses everything and it should be worshipped and bought and played and eventually, you should just work your penis into the hole and make love to it.

:(:D:angry: Best. Post. EVER!

So I have the dispatch email from shopto, and I have tomorrow off.

I also have a wife that has just told me that on no account am I allowed to start it until she gets home from work. I suppose I should be grateful she's interested but man...tomorrow will NOT be easy.

I might just spend the day fucking the hole in the disc, I guess.

I also have a wife that has just told me that on no account am I allowed to start it until she gets home from work. I suppose I should be grateful she's interested but man...tomorrow will NOT be easy.

INT. LIVING ROOM

WE SEE WIFE ENTERING ROOM

Her face changes to shocked horror and disgust

Wife: What are you doing?!!!

NATE IS MAKING LOVE TO A DISC.

Nate: But...I didn't...I couldn't...you wouldn't let me play it!

If it were me I would just play some of it and then delete the saved game profile before she got home :D Then feign surprise when you play through it all again. How could you hold the magical wonder of UR MR GAY in your hands and not cheat on your wife with it? :(

Ring her at work one minute after it arrives, telling her there's an emergency and she has to come home. The second she walks through the door, slide the disk into the Wii, and say "well, you're home, so I'm starting it".

I'm only 2-3 hours in, but what strikes me most about this is the sheer number of ideas that have gone into it. It seems like every five minutes there's some new skill or technique to master, or a new puzzle etc. It just feels incredibly varied.

Oh, and it's fucking good, of course. :(

Just start a game. Play it. Delete it like a half hour before she comes home.

Then say "Darling you can have first go".

Hours later you've both played mario and shes riding you like franki detori

I can just imagine your Bruce Lee avatar - holding a SMG disc...

Is this helping you any, moose?

To be honest, if I were you I'd end it. But fortunately I'm not, and I'll be playing Super Mario Galaxy tomorrow night instead. And loving it like the ocean loves the shore, like the desert loves the rain. It's been such a long time, many others vying to take your place with their hollow blandishments...but at last we will be together, and at last we'll be fulfilled. Just a-me and a-you, gamboling like we were ten years younger again, the world our playground again.

Ahh.

(NB If this game sucks, HOC is going to get whacked.)

The co-op mode is pretty good, apart from the fact that player 2 can make Mario jump around. So you gotta co-ordinate things a bit so you're not jumping like a moron. Still, it's far more interactive than I expected. The girlfriend loves collecting star bits, freezing enemies and looking around for hidden stuff.

There was one early level where the player 2 sfx played in tune to the stage music. :):(:wub:

fantastic (read unbelievable) review of SMG on variety website

"but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like “Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,” currently available for the PS3, “Galaxy” looks old fashioned and lifeless"

and on the top right of the page?

Sponsored by Sony.

the comments page is ablaze, well the comments that are still there as they're deleting like crazy.

fantastic (read unbelievable) review of SMG on variety website

"but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like “Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,” currently available for the PS3, “Galaxy” looks old fashioned and lifeless"

and on the top right of the page?

Sponsored by Sony.

the comments page is ablaze, well the comments that are still there as they're deleting like crazy.

Wasn't this already posted?

Anyway, where does it say sponsored by Sony? I don't see it.

Whilst the review is just as bad as you're suggesting, the "Sponsored by Sony" logo is just a random one provided by an ad-site. There is no way Sony knew their name would be put to it, I'm sure.

Also, since there is every chance it will be deleted, here it is (I've spoiler tagged it to avoid people finding out stuff they've managed to avoid, but there isn't anything *massive* in there):

“Super Mario Galaxy” is proof positive that Nintendo still has some of the best videogame development talent in the industry, but they no longer have the best platform on which to work. The latest platforming adventure starring the portly plumber features the most astoundingly original levels of the year, enhanced by gravity tricks never before seen in videogames. But “Galaxy” makes poor use of the Wii’s motion-sensing controls and the graphics simply aren’t up to par with what players can now find on the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. While brisk sales are certain given the Wii’s popularity, the “Mario” franchise may now be vulnerable to a challenger on another console better suited to 3-D running and jumping.

Story has never been the strong suit of any of the seven core “Super Mario” games, or their dozens of off shoots. The core of the game, as always, is that the evil dragon Bowser has kidnapped Princess Peach, taken her to the other side of the universe, and Mario has to stomp on a lot of enemies and collect a lot of stars in order to find and rescue her.

It’s silly stuff and all worth skipping, because the point is that Mario can now travel in space. But it’s not about spacesuits and barren landscapes. Instead, “Galaxy” has the little Italian stereotype running around and between small planetoids. The first time players see Mario running upside down on a planet, or jumping from the bottom of one to the top of the other, causing the camera to flip, they may feel motion sickness. But once they get used to it, they’ll find it enables some amazing tricks.

Some of the 50-plus levels in “Super Mario Galaxy” are similar to ones players have seen before: the little red guy rides a manta ray in a water race, for instance, or hunts for missing star pieces in a desert. But the best ones take full advantage of the game’s fantastic physics. Mario may be running around all sides of an intricately twisted planetoid, for instance, or pulling switches that shift gravitational fields in order to make it to his destination.

As good as the game is, though, it’s evidence of how bad the Wii is for third person action games, a problem first made clear in last year’s “Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.” Holding the nunchuk, which moves Mario, and the Wii-mote, which makes him jump and spin, in separate hands, is an awkward arrangement. Since there’s only one thumbstick, players rarely have control of the camera and when they do, it’s not easy to manipulate. While the designers usually put the camera in the best position possible, it’s inevitable that gamers will sometimes wish they had a better view.

More importantly, “Galaxy” doesn’t make good use of the console’s motion sensing abilities. In a transparent add-on to do something with the Wii-mote, players can collect “star bits” by pointing at them. But they aren’t integral to the game and pointing at them is a chore.

A second player can join in by using his or her Wii-mote to collect and shoot star bits, but again, it’s completely gratuitious. As brilliant as “Super Mario Galaxy” is, in fact, it’s one of the worst two-player experiences ever seen in a videogame.

Fans may claim that the graphics are good “for the Wii,” but that argument quickly grows tired. There’s clever art design on many of the planets Mario visits, but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like “Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction,” currently available for the PS3, “Galaxy” looks old fashioned and lifeles

And no, I didn't fail at copy and pasting, it does just end on half a word.

The co-op mode is pretty good, apart from the fact that player 2 can make Mario jump around. So you gotta co-ordinate things a bit so you're not jumping like a moron. Still, it's far more interactive than I expected. The girlfriend loves collecting star bits, freezing enemies and looking around for hidden stuff.

There was one early level where the player 2 sfx played in tune to the stage music. :(:wub: :wub:

I'm wondering if co-op can possibly help me on the (fairly late galaxy challenge revisiting a level from a bit earlier on from about the fourth set of galaxies - best not to unspoiler this if you haven't completed the game, though it's only the name of a level, and the spoiler doesn't really mean what you think it might)

Luigi's Purple Coins

level. :)

Better?

I'm wondering if co-op can possibly help me on the

Luigi's Purple Coins, though if you've read this, it's not what you think

level. :)

See, this is what annoys me about spoilers. How can anyone, unless, they have completed the game, know wether to unspoiler that? a breif description of whats within, i.e galaxy name or number of stars you ar on would help.

That almost brought a tear to my eye, you are absolutley spot on. :(

Wasn't so keen on the bit about the penis though. :)

If it were me I would just play some of it and then delete the saved game profile before she got home
Just start a game. Play it. Delete it like a half hour before she comes home.

Never gonna happen. I'm a terrible liar, plus I already said I'd keep it sealed. She's not been back much before 8 the last few weeks either. :) I've told her I'm starting it at 6pm whether she's here or not.

Never gonna happen. I'm a terrible liar, plus I already said I'd keep it sealed. She's not been back much before 8 the last few weeks either. :) I've told her I'm starting it at 6pm whether she's here or not.

The first couple of hours is all cutscenes anyway*.

*May not be ENTIRELY** true.

**remotely

Got this and Creed this morning :)

Its fucking insane, no idea which one to boot up at lunchtime. If I were only my own it would be SMG but I think most people in the studio are more interested in creed. If I play creed it will be the most insane thing ever to think I will neglect a new 'proper' mario game on launch day.